“Good deal”
Review of Hotel 99

Hotel 99
Reviewed 10 August 2010

Stayed here for 4 nights for business, in a queen room with shared bathroom on the second floor. I asked for a quite room, as I needed to sleep at night, and was given one that faced one of the air shafts. That made it very quite, but also dark. But was perfect for me, as I wanted a quite place, and you could hear nothing of the street noise. The room was nicely furnished with a comfortable bed, a TV, an ipod docking station, a dresser, and an open closet. Floors were wood (or wood imitation, not sure). When I stayed there the reception and upper floors were still under construction, but that was not a problem as I was on the second floor. The shared bathroom was fine, but quite busy. Had to wait a few times to use it. Hairdryers in the room instead of the bathroom would help a lot to cut down on the time people use the bathroom. Otherwise no complains. Location is great if you need to go to Columbia, but travel time to downtown is also very fast with the express train from 96th street. Also free WiFi. Overall very good value for money in the overpriced New York Hotel market.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 5 August 2010

We stayed for 14 nights, I think its great value for money. The rooms are small, modern and neat. If you plan to just sleep in the room., its the place for you. We left in the morning & always returned back after midnight.
Shared bath rooms can get a bit messy eg.. steamy & wet. But if you get in early you'll be fine. There were 2 bath rooms on our floor. Some times you do have to queue at peak times, so if your not in a hurry then its ok... Agreed with other reviewer about the really loud doors, also the wall are paper thin. So if your unlucky to have a rowdy bunch of people next door it can be hard to sleep (we had for a few nights) after that it was fine.
We opted for Hotel 99 as we didnt want to stay in a hostel for 2 weeks and I am glad that we did. I loved the neighbourhood, the shops, just walking around and exploring the nearby streets. I had read the previous bad reviews, but decided we'd take the chance. Close to walk to Central Park, we even walked up to Lincoln Centre and back in one night. We felt safe. I liked being away from the craziness of midtown. Though spent time there, Im glad we didn't stay in mid town. The subway was easy & convenient to get on & felt safe any time of the day. Lots people around.
The staff were always very helpful and always accommodated our requests. I had emailed them & called them quite a few times prior to arriving and always helpful.
Don't expect it to be 5 star. Its great value for money for NYC especially for the length of time we stayed. I had spent quite a lot of time looking and reading reviews. I hope to go to NYC sooner rather than later and Ill be staying at there again

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Saleshotel99, Manager at Hotel 99, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2010

We thank you for staying with us, and we appreciate the great review. It is quite important for us to provide you with excellent service, and we are looking forward to having you again.
Sales Manager

Reviewed 30 July 2010

A clean hotel, spacious rooms (for NY standards), clean bathrooms, TV and free wireless internet access available. Plus good location: only 3 blocks from the subway station, and close to Central Park. A very good choice if you don't want to get ripped off or stay in one of NYC shabby hostels!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

We thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to having you again

Reviewed 24 June 2010

All of the reviews I read prior to staying at this hotel were negative. we decided to give it a go since it was the only cheapish hotel in Manhattan that we could still find with short notice.

We were immediately greeted at the desk with smiling faces and check in was very quick. The room's were comfortable and decorated nicely. I especially loved the clear glass shower doors in the bathroom. (we had a room with a private bath). The beds were very comfortable and the rooms fairly quiet. I slept like a baby most nights.

Pro's:
Cheap
Great Location (2-3 blocks from one of the main subway lines) and close to decent eating, shopping, pharmacies and grocery stores.
You can get on street parking if you're patient ( that's free)
comfortable beds
clean rooms
friendly service
free internet

Cons:
Only half of our HDTV channels worked (though we didn't complain, so they didn't have the chance to fix it)
We got someone elses wake up call at 4 am one morning (I'd imagine this doesn't happen very often)
The maid-service women we had didn't speak clear english so we had a little trouble letting her know what we needed but we did eventually get what we wanted.

Overall- it's worth the price. This place HAD a bad rep and has been forced to clean up and lower their prices. They're doing much better now.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2010

Hotel99 is a straight up gem that is hidden away on 99th street and Broadway Avenue. They opened up last September 2009 and it is clear that everything is brand new. WIFI is offered at no cost as well, and is located 3 minutes away from a subway station, with a 24 hr grocery store & pharmacy store, with uber affordable prices. Talking about $89.50 a night before tax for a double with a shared bathroom. Can’t get any better than that in NYC, where the cheapest hotel room goes for at least $150.

I've already recommended this hotel to all of my friends visiting NYC in the near future and they are very excited to come.

Reading the other reviews, I'm very surprised and it's unfortunate to hear that other people had such poor experiences. Room service came everyday to clean and fold up our sheets. Everytime we used the bathroom, it was always clean and ready to use. Everything was brand new in our room, from the paint on the walls, to the LCD tv, to furniture and ipod dock.

Of course, we just graduated from school and our expectations weren't that high, but I think you have to understand that if you are opting for something that is less than average pricing from NYC. After all, you pay for what you get right?

Overall I think Hotel 99 is a great place to stay if seeing and exploring the city is more important to you. If you are looking for a luxurious place with full amneties, this isn't the right place for you!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2010

If you like dirty sheets, mice in your room and pubes on your pillow, by all means, stay at Hotel 99! I mean, the location is pretty good and it is cheapISH. But for what you pay I really expected not to have the service and cleanliness that we got. On arrival, the sheets were stained, there were hairs on my pillow and the floor was clearly unswept. I complained about the sheets very politely the next day and asked for them to be changed. They were not.

This continued every morning for our entire stay. Eventually, on the last day, coming home to a mouse by our bed, I asked to speak to the manager. This was never possible as they were always elsewhere. Eventually the offered me a tiny bit of money back to cover the inconvenience. Hardly any of the staff were at all fazed or apologetic about it so I can only concur that it is a regular occurance.

Plus side is that you get an i dock and good tv channels. Downside, shared bathroom. Only 3 a floor so you always had to wait at least half an hour. FILTHY. Also very noisy both from the street and from the other guests.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Katherinebower1
Reviewed 7 June 2010

Having read some not so flattering reviews of Hotel 99 before going to New York this past week-end, I was a little hesitant to book this hotel. Words can hardly express just how pleased I was with the hotel, location, price and service. Let's talk about the room. It was quite stylish, compact and full of the same amenities you'd find at a much more expensive hotel - including the 40 something inch flat screen wall mounted TV. The bed was comfortable, the room cozy and the linen fit for a queen. Knowing in advance that their was a private bathroom prepared me for the reality, but what I was not prepared for was a bathroom that was very modern, well equipped, nicely decorated and very clean. This hotel is as nice as just about any of the boutique hotels I've stayed in during my past travels. Bearing exposed brick and housing several very artsy posters, even the hallways were lovely, quiet and very private. The service? The staff was personable and competant. There is only a small section of the hotel still undergoing renovation which happens to be the lobby area, but once you step onto the elevator, you forget you're at a budget hotel, literally! It's on the upper west side (99th street off Broadway) near Riverside Park and close to the train and bus. The bus (either the M5 or M104) go the length of the city making it a cinch to get to any of the more touristy neighborhoods. I loved this place and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near New York City
Royal Park Hotel
Royal Park Hotel
#384 of 469 in New York City
Super 8 Bronx
#4 of 14 in Bronx
Days Inn Hotel New York City-Broadway
Days Inn Hotel New York City-Bro...
#435 of 469 in New York City
Hotel Newton
Hotel Newton
#323 of 469 in New York City

Been to Hotel 99? Share your experiences!