“We took the Brooklyn tour and the Jackson Heights tour by Context and loved them both.”

Context New York Tours
Private Walking Tour of New York City Architecture
Ranked #210 of 642 Tours in New York City
Type: City Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Context organizes scholar-led walking tours of New York City focused on the history, architecture, cuisine, culture, and art of the city. Groups are limited to six people in order to create a dynamic learning environment. With a network of historians, archaeologists, architects, and art historians, Context focuses on thematic walks that uncover New York City for the curious traveler.
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Our guide Matico was absolutely the best. Knowledgeable, easy to talk to, passionate, interesting and able to incorporate our interests into the tours.
Our Context tours were the most expensive activities we participated in on our trip but may have been the best value, which is amazing.
The perspective that our first tour (which was on day two of our trip) gave us for the rest of our stay in NYC was invaluable.
My wife and I can't recommend Context tours enough and will certainly be taking them again in the future.

Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Brilliant walking tour of NY.

Excellent variety of the big famous buildings and lesser known but no less interesting places. Guide was superb - encyclopaedic knowledge of NY sky line, she work on the preservation committee so had a well thought out point of view on literally everything. Loved it so much I'm going to do their tour of London my own home town next.

1  Thank Jonesy_Gem
Reviewed 10 July 2013

My brother and I took the Birth of the Cocktail tour in NY in May. I did not know exactly what to expect so for us out-of-towners it was a great walking tour of historic speakeasies and other notable locations in cocktail history and just a good walking around tour of the city itself. Our guide was great - friendly, knowledgeable and gave us a great restaurant recommendation for dinner! We didn't feel like tourists on a tour - just a couple people out walking and talking. This was my second experience with Context - my first being Context Paris - and I would use them in any city they offer tours. Thanks!

1  Thank Pam T
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Knowing nothing about architecture this is a great tour which teaches both architecture and the history of NY at the same time. Well worth the money spent on it. Our group was only 4 people which made it ideal for questions and answers while we were walking the route.

I would highly recommend this tour!!!

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Wow! We did the three hour chocolate tour and it was so much fun, tasty and very interesting. Our guide did an excellent job explaining about the shops and techniques. The tour required quite a bit of walking, so be prepared. We bought lots of delectable bon bons along the way. I'd do it again!

1  Thank YWander