“Commuication breakdown”
Review of Flatiron Hotel

Flatiron Hotel
Ranked #363 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Flatiron Hotel itself is quite good - even trendy - clean and its location is very good indeed. No breakfast is available; however there are several establishments quite next door. There is a bar and some kind of "club" next to the lobby but luckily the sounds did not reach my room.
Some street sounds and other quests' noise did not bother very much, but if you are a light sleeper you must remember that New York never sleeps.

My biggest minus goes to the service. It seemed that I forgot something behind in the closet when I moved on. I contacted the front deskby phone 4 times during the following 10 days and left my phone number twice, all in vain. There seems to be major information breakdown between the front desk and housekeeping and also between the morning and and later shifts. All I needed to know if housekeeping had found one lost item in the room I stayed at - how much detective work does it take? They were just not able to tell me simply YES we found it or NO there was nothing left behind. ( I may have misplaced the item somewhere else, I just did not find it anymore during my trip.)
The most absurd thing was when I informed the front desk that they should contact me at 2 pm at the latest on the day of my return flight, I got a text message at 2.30 pm that they will give me an answer "by the end of the day". So, no answer at all, thank you very much...

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 21 March 2012

Location is great. The aquarium is beautiful. Staff for the most part are very helpful. We had the smallest room and that is very tiny, shower jet was wonderful.

They held or bags on our last day there, they provided us with plastic spoons and got some ice (as there is no ice machine on the floors.

The business center is completely free and when we were there not busy.

All and all great experience.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank curious106
Reviewed 21 March 2012

This was our first trip to NYC and so glad we stayed at the Flatiron! The Toshi Corner Suites are so roomy and bathrooms are great. The hotel staff was so helpful, especially Steven and Alex. Steven suggested a great steakhouse for my daughter's 18th birthday dinner(Steak Frites) & helped us order tickets for 9/11 memorial. Great midtown location! Can't wait to visit NYC again and stay at the Flatiron. I have already recommended this hotel to friends who will traveling to NYC this summer.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank RollTideRice
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Great hotel, great location, friendly staff, will definitely recommend it to others

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I've never really travelled alone before and New York was more than enough to confuse me.
Upon checking into the hotel (nice and clean rooms and facilities), i was still a good deal confused and i think it showed.
I was approached by one of the staff in the hotel (the general manager i think). All i remember was that his name was George. Good fellow was nice enough to take the initiative and offered to help me.

Not only did he answer all my questions, provided good service and made me feel very at home during my stay. He was nice enough to go out of his way to tell me how to get around NY and all the attractions worth seeing. I'm sure i took up a bit too much of his time. But thanks to him, my stay in New York was EXTREMELY enjoyable.

I'll be sure to go there again whenever i visit New York!
A VERY BIG thank you to George!
(Look up George people! Good bloke with dark hair and glasses!)

Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Had an enjoyable stay here not too long ago. The rooms were exceptionally clean and the staff were very helpful and friendly. Many thanks to George and the rest of the staff for making my visit to NYC a wonderful one!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 March 2012

BEWARE THIS HOTEL OVERBOOKS ! ..We checked in and they said 20 minutes untill the room would be ready , then 20 minutes latter they said it would be 6~8 hours to come back at 4:00 pm, go figure. OK ,So they checked our bags in and we came back at 4:00. THEN , they said there wasnt any rooms left because something had happened to an entire floor of the hotel. The manager said there had been an "event" and it couldnt be helped. THIS WAS A FLAT OUT LIE. The hotel shuttle driver accidentally told us the truth , that they had just overbooked by like 12 rooms.
They offered to pay for us to stay at the Four points , I heard that they had done this for 12 rooms that day alone. The Hotel shuttle driver told us they had just overbooked by 12 rooms and he had been shuttling people all day.
The staff was sooo disorganized , the communication was pathetic , they simply didnt have anything together. The lobby looked nice , good luck if you book this room !

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank John-manassas
George S, General Manager at Flatiron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2012

Dear MR. Manassas,

I wanted to write personally and apologize for any miscommunications that you may have had with staff and non affiliated workers of the hotel. All of the car services used through the hotel are not affiliated with the company and do not have direct knowledge of operations. It seems as if you were misinformed as to the reasoning and number of shuttled guests to various hotels through out the city. Due to unforeseen events that took place causing our floor to be shutdown while maintenance had to be done, each guest was handled with attention to detail and care. Each floor of our hotel has 8 guest rooms, each booking for this area had to be relocated.

I assure you the staff at the Flatiron Hotel diligently and thoroughly made sure that each guest was taken care of and not inconvenienced to the best of their ability while finding transport and lodging in order to maintain the highest level of service and ethics. Unfortunately, we are unable to control the conduct of contracted services such as car services who don't always have the best interest of the guest at heart.

If you have any questions, or wish to contact me, feel free to reach out and I would be happy to address your concerns personally in order to prevent future miscommunications from taking place.

George L Sallee