“noise”
Review of Flatiron Hotel

Flatiron Hotel
Ranked #373 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Through the hotel is small in size, all the staff seemed to be friendly and helpful. We had a TOSHI suite in the front of hotel and you could here the street noise as well as every passing subway train.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Lance H, General Manager at Flatiron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2012

Dear b c,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and other Trip Advisor readers. Yes, we are a smaller hotel having 65 rooms. We think that is advantageous as it allows us to provide a higher quality of service. You noted our staff’s friendliness and helpfulness (thank you). It is not often that guests hear the underground subway, but it does happen and we are sorry it adversely impacted your stay. Should you choose us again, please let me know so we can assign a higher floor.

Reviewed 22 August 2012

We checked in on a Friday evening. Parking is about a 1/2 block away so you may want to drop your bags first and then park the car.

The staff was exceptionally pleasant and helpful with all of our questions.

The room was cozy. There is not a lot of room for bags and bags of stuff. One of the most high tech bathrooms I have ever seen. In addition there were terrycloth robes to change into after a hot shower. My wife was in absolute heaven. Beds are comfortable and sheets a crisp and clean. Street noise was not a problem nor was noise from any other room. No hearing the flushing toilets of other rooms or listening to someone else taking a shower through the walls.

There is a variety of music most every night in the lobby. WE saw four bands the two nights we were there and we impressed with the talent. Originals to covers, jazz to rock, it was all great listening.

Drinks in the bar area about $12-15.

Overall an AWESOME property with a PHENOMENAL value!

Room Tip: Ask for one facing 26th St. as opposed to the avenue. On the 4-8 floors would be preferred.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank upstatejay
Lance H, General Manager at Flatiron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2012

Dear upstatejay,

Than you for choosing us and thanks as well for sharing your experience with others. Your comments about our staff is appreciate. We often hear how they make the difference in our guest's experience.

Toshi's Living Room, our restaurant, features live music six nights per week. We generally have two bands per night and I am glad you enjoyed them all.

Reviewed 17 August 2012

We stayed 5 nights from 30. of June until 05. of July in Flatiron. It was our third time in New York and our best hotel there. Friendly,helpful and well educated personnel at the desk. The whole hotel is spotlessy clean.The rooms are well equiped, bathrooms with screen inside the mirror (funny) and a very nice shower. Every evening you could find a good, varied program in the bar, sometimes with a real broadway show! The location is in the heart of Manhattan, walking distance to Herald Place, Macy´s, Madison Square, etc.. The next subway is not more than 2 minutes. Perfect place to start exploring.... We will come back!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Holger S
Lance H, General Manager at Flatiron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2012

Dear Holger S,

Thank you for choosing the Flatiron Hotel and for sharing your experience with other Trip Advisor readers. Our team works very hard to provide a great experience and I thank you for acknowledging them. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to New York.

Reviewed 11 August 2012

I had a chance to stay in several hotel chains in New York city between them known one like Radisson, Holiday Inn, Hilton and others. It was by chance that i got to Flatiron. The stuff and specifically Jason at the front desk were very welcoming and helpfull. The bar area has great live shows every night till 1am. You could feel the signature of the owner in any detail. Later i learned that he is indeed present, Toshi is there making sure atmosphere is kept. Yes its noisy some times but hey that is NYC. The rooms ( stayed at the delux toshi room) smell amaizing and the decoration is exact. Its fresh, its comfortable and considerably big room. I have no other words than perfect. Definately going to bring my BF there next time when I vacationing the big apple.

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear kingeran,

Thank you for choosing the Flatiron Hotel and for sharing your experience with other Trip Advisor readers. Jason has only been with us a short time but is making his mark on our guest experience. Thank you for identifying him so we can recognize his efforts. It was very kind of you to use the word “perfect” to describe your stay. Very glad to read you will choose us on your next trip to our fair city!

Reviewed 11 August 2012

Had a one night stay at the Flatiron Hotel, a boutique style hotel in New York City. The address on 26th St, close to 5th Avenue, was its best asset as far as I was concerned. It was close to where I needed to be as the next day my daughter's final fitting at Kleinfeld's bridal was within easy walking distance. Madison Square Park, Shake Shack, and Eataly nearby which I like. I thought the hotel was good but not great for these reasons: upon walking into the hotel for check-in after 9:30 pm, the ground floor entrance was interesting, especially the exotic round cylinder fish tank running up the middle of the room. However, the band playing in the lounge which is open to the check-in area, was absolutely blasting, so unnecessarily loud. We felt bad for the clerk who must have hearing loss by this time. Thankfully, check-in was so quick we got our room keys and quickly got out of there. Security while traveling is important to me, so I was disappointed that anyone could enter the elevators and go up to our floor without restriction. Our room was practically across the elevator and the hallway was quite narrow in favor of a rather large size room (two queen beds in this room) with very high tray ceilings and ornate crown molding. The beds, while stylishly decorated, especially the headboards with decorative curtains on either side, were not as comfortable as I've had for the price and the mattresses were hard, but some like it that way. Nice pillow selection and nice sheets. The beds were platform beds with drawers for storage, so I promptly banged my leg on the corner of the platform. The rest of the furniture in the room, in my opinion, was cheap looking, nothing special. I'm used to minibars, but this one the clerk actually warned us about it upon check-in saying that you only have 20 seconds and if the sensor picks up that something is not in its place, you're getting charged. That includes a sensor for dry snacks on top which look like they're in an ordinary tray - they're not. Needless to say, didn't touch either. One cup at a time coffee maker, lousy coffee. There's a Starbucks a stone's throw from the hotel, much better. There is a restaurant which I assume serves meals in the same location that becomes the lounge for entertainment in the evenings. I didn't have any meals there. The little extras that did not impress me was a TV in the mirror of the bathroom (you had to shut the door to get in front of the sink) so the only time you might want to watch it is while washing you face, etc. since you can't see it unless you are standing right in front of it. The shower was very nice with a large rainshower head, optional jets for lower body, plenty of towels, etc. but no where to hang them except one hook on the back of the door. Toilet small, very low. Air conditioning very good. Robes in wardrobe closet. Lighted buttons for do not disturb or to request housekeep. Very large windows running the width of the room with motorized curtains. Free wifi and nice large LG flat screen TV on the wall. Clean room, but definitely wouldn't say immaculate. Seems like a lot of stuff that might appeal to some, but when it came down to it, I decided I'll stay somewhere different next time.

Room Tip: Get as high a room as possible to avoid the thump, thump, thump of the band or if you don't enjo...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Dear sillygirl49

Thank you for choosing the Flatiron Hotel and for sharing your experience with other Trip Advisor readers. I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations. Your review was very thorough and well stated. You were fair in listing many of the features you enjoyed, such as our location, our signature fish tank and some of the room features. Our team is reviewing all your comments, especially those that were not to your satisfaction. We use them to help direct where we are going to dedicate our resources. Since your stay we have made a few changes (new brand of coffee in the rooms) and will continue to examine our product and services.

Reviewed 5 August 2012

Location: Fantastic. In the middle of Manhattan. Nearby Empire State Building, a lot of shopping etc. Don't stay at the Times Square, stay here!!

Hotel and grounds: Modern and small hotel, with a huge fish tank and a night club(?) in the lobby. This club starts swinging in the afternoon and keeps in going. Wich brings a lot of party people there, and it makes of course at lot of noise.

Room: Clean. We payed extra to get a corner suite, and it was worth it. Big enough for to people and four suitcases. Could be nice with more closet space. It's not super to "live in a suitcase". Plenty of cool digital features. Enjoy.

Bathroom: Big and clean. We pay'd extra to get a bathtub. Tv in mirror!!! That's super cool, and not enjoying at all. It's not a problem doing your makeup, you're probably taller then the tv anyway...

Service: Superb!! Nothing to complaint about. The receptionists was helpful. They helped us book tickets etc etc etc.

Tip: Print out your reservation. They need to have it in paper? It's not enough to show them the reservation on your iPad etc.

Room Tip: The higher up the better!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear smty,

Thank you for choosing the Flatiron Hotel and for sharing your experience with other Trip Advisor readers. And thank you for your kind words too, especially regarding the service. We are very proud of our team and it is very gratifying to read that they made a positive impact on your experience. “Superb” is an adjective that will bring a smile to their face.

Reviewed 2 August 2012 via mobile

I thought the rooms were very small even tho they are done up nice . My daughter and I are small people and we could hardly get in with our 2 suitcases.
The shower was awesome and the bathroom was quite nice but small . There was no place to even hang up your towels. Had to phone downFTP front. desk for ice and glasses and they brought up plastic ones!!! I thought when you are paying good money for a hotel you shouldn't have to phone for glasses and then have plastic ones
They missed my 5am wake up call so luckily my head alarm woke me up and I was not late for my flight!

• Stayed: July 2012

Dear Myrnsie,

Thank you for choosing the Flatiron Hotel and for sharing your experience with other Trip Advisor readers. Please accept my apologies for the problems you experienced. Wake up calls are very important and our front office team is reviewing our procedures. I was pleased to read you liked our showers; they are a very popular feature. I see you rated our location and cleanliness fairly high too. As with all our reviews, we use them as a compass for our planning. Thank you for your feedback.