“very pleasant surprise”
Review of Flatiron Hotel

Flatiron Hotel
Ranked #383 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 10 February 2013

We chose the Flatiron on a whim. It turned out to be a great choice for us. Having said that, if you are visiting New York for the first or second time, do your homework. Each neighborhood has its own personality, and you should make sure your expectations, priorities and agenda synch with reality. Staying in the Flatiron district is going to be a very different experience than staying on Central Park South or the Upper East Side. The neighborhood itself is named for the Flatiron Building, a New York landmark and architectural gem. There's lots of office buildings, plenty of places to eat (check out Eataly) and subway stops. The hotel itself is a friendly boutique hotel with a nightclub in the lobby. There is free wifi but its not the most reliable...so if you want a good night's sleep and need to be on the internet all day, this isn't the best choice. The rooms are small, but again, expectations have to coexist with reality. In a city where it costs $50.00 to park your car in a garage overnight, its ludicrous to expect a spacious room and large bathroom for $200.00 or less/night. I found that the small space was very well thought out and gladly traded a large bathroom for my six headed rain shower, high quality toiletries, linens, bathrobes and lots of fun electronic gadgets. The queen sized bed was captain style, which means the mattress was on a platform with six large drawers underneath. For us, the nightclub in the lobby was great. The band, City of Six, was fantastic, and without having to leave our hotel on a freezing night, we had a few drinks, bar food, danced and had a really nice evening. Best of all was the free pass to the 24 hour health club across the street. Its a full service gym, better than the one we belong to at home. We found this hotel to be wonderful, and will definitely return on our next trip home.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor if you don't want to hear the music. I don't know if all the rooms hav...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank RubyAZ12

Reviewed 9 February 2013

I just found this stay a little gross. My husband and I stayed for 2 days... and while there were some cute perks like a tv in the bathroom, rainfall shower, jets in the shower, automatic blinds, etc.

The room was just pretty dirty. They don't really cover the duvet, they just put it in between 2 sheets.... but when the duvet does slip out- it's dirty.. which makes appreciating the hotel difficult.

Prior to showering, the bathroom looked clean--but had such an awful smell, i couldn't fully enjoy the shower.

We were there for 2 nights, and the room was never cleaned. I try not to let things like be a big deal--but when you are staying in a hotel, you are only in one room and have brought whatever you need for the time that you're there--so things can get a bit cluttered. Between that and the beds not being made (and gross)... the whole experience starts to feel uncomfortable.

The second night, i was trying to fall asleep - and noticed red stains on the ceilings. Why would those stains be there?

I don't recommend this hotel and will not be going back.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 February 2013

For business or pleasure I would highly recommend this charming hotel. I shared a comfortable and clean two queen beds corner room with a co-worker. It was a spacious room with a nicely appointed bath with a whirlpool tub and the "TV" in the mirror. The closet was small but adequate for our needs. Following the advise of previous guest reviews, I requested a higher floor and had no problem with noise.i would also recommend setting the thermostat to "auto" and dialing down the temperature while you sleep. The friendly staff was very accommodating and the bellman service exceptional. Although timing gave me more contact with CJ both gentlemen are a valuable asset of the hotel!

Room Tip: I requested a higher floor and had no problem with noise
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Sean A, Director of Operations at Flatiron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2013

We are glad you enjoyed your stay at the Flatiron Hotel. Our staff are very friendly and strive to make your stay away from home a pleasant experience.

Reviewed 1 February 2013

In all the 30-odd visits I have made to NYC, I had never stayed in the Flatiron district. The location popped up as being ideal for a recent combination business/leisure trip with my husband and a friend. My challenge was to find a hotel in the neighborhood that would serve us all well. I wanted a romantic pad for the first night, desk-work space and connectivity throughout the stay, enough room to welcome a third occupant for the second night, a reasonable rate and, dare-I-ask in Manhattan, abundant natural light? I zeroed in on a Toshi Corner Deluxe room at the Flatiron. With 2 queen beds, a spacious bathroom and wrap-around floor-to-ceiling windows, I scored a home run with all parties. We found the staff very welcoming. Devin, in particular, had a knack for keeping an eye out and making sure that all of our needs were being met before even being asked. The room was overall terrific, with a few rough edges; a leaky hot water tap, a loud and hot-air-blasting heating system, and oddly, soap was “on-request,” whereas bath gel, shampoo and conditioner were supplied. Colors, décor and bed linens were all pleasing. We had plenty of towels and wash cloths. The (no surcharge) WiFi worked fine. Closet space was tight but the corner room had good nooks to tuck things away and there were plenty of drawers under the TV stand and beds, so storage was ample. I had been forewarned on TripAdvisor regarding loud and late lounge music 6 nights a week, so I requested a high floor room in advance of our stay. The request was acknowledge by email. I admit that I was a bit disappointed to end up assigned to the 4th floor, only one floor above the first level of rooms. Perhaps this was the only corner room left, but no explanation was given. Music was indeed loud on Saturday night, but we did not return from our evening out until after 1 am, so we were not kept up for long and Sunday night was quiet. All in all we were very satisfied with our stay and would happily return to the Flatiron Hotel. I heartily recommend it to other travelers for whom the many pros outweigh the few cons.

Room Tip: Toshi Corner Deluxe, preferably a high floor
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 January 2013 via mobile

The hotel is well situated close to subways, north of some of the nice shopping areas, but south of some pretty shady areas.
Rooms are pretty good with comfortable beds. Few facilities in the hotel, for example only a bar, no restaurant.
The bar is really lively with live band on almost every night.
I'm not sure if we were unlucky but there were a lot of unusual smells emanating from one of the rooms on a couple of nights; you could get high just by standing in the corridor!

• Stayed: December 2012
Sean A, Director of Operations at Flatiron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2013

The flatiron district is an up and coming vibrant neighborhood with new restaurants opening and great shopping areas. We usually get great reviews as to our location so I am sorry to hear you weren't thrilled. The Flatiron Hotel provides live music with an eclectic dinner menu in the restaurant. Our property is Non-smoking in compliance with NYC laws. There is a monetary penalty for those who decide to smoke on premises.

Reviewed 31 January 2013

I made a last minute decision to stay in NYC last night rather than drive home late at night after hosting a birthday dinner for my daughter. As we were having dinner in the Chelsea/Flatiron district I searched under "hotel/chelsea/flatiron" and The Flatiron Hotel was one of the first to pop up. It was in a great location, 9 W 26th St., and the rooms looked modern and frankly the prices looked impossible. A regular room was listed around $169 so I sprang for the largest room for $233! I have never stayed in NYC for anything close to that except when using Priceline. The Flatiron is a boutique hotel with a very cool vibe. The lobby is an open concept, sharing space with Toshi's Livingroom, a slick restaurant/bar with live music every single night. As soon as you walk in you note an enormous spiraled floor to ceiling fish tank worthy of an HGTV special. Fun. The room was large and very tech saavy with switches for everything, a remote control for the curtains, a jetted tub in the bath and a huge mirror in the bath with an imbedded tv. We had two very comfortable queen beds with abundant pillows. I'd like to mention again...for $233. I love this neighborhood and will definitely be returning to this hotel in the near future. If you stay here, dine at Cafeteria on 17th and 7th Ave. It was fantastic. Red Velvet Cake in a jar. Need I say more?

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for giving us the opportunity and especially for sharing your experience with Trip Advisor. The Flatiron hotel is a fairly new luxury boutique hotel and we like to wow our guests from the moment they walk in. The fish tank is just fabulous, everyone that walks in is drawn to it.

Reviewed 30 January 2013

We loved this hotel. As others have said, the location is perfect for just about everything and walking distance to Eataly is a true bonus for me. Everything in the room is fun, drapes, bathroom TV, shower with rainfall and jets and LED displays for do not disturb or housekeeping. The room was good size for NYC and was cheery, bright and immaculate. Anything we requested appeared nearly instantly. I did find the automated mini bar weird. The BEST part of our stay was the staff. Every single person was helpful, genuinely friendly and just plain nice. We stayed to attend a wedding and the next day we were asked how it was. I often book hotels through 3rd party sites partly to save money and because I am afraid to pay full price for a place I don't know. This is the only hotel where everyone treated us perfectly, most hotels treat bargain hunters like scum. Next time I won't be afraid to book here. Can't wait!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to your return.