“Good hotel; bad bed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #322 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Bethesda, Maryland, United States
“Good hotel; bad bed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

This is a nice hotel in a fun of town where I had meetings.

Rooms are very small but newly furnished like many of the newer NYC hotels. Front desk area is a bit crowded and staff not so attentive, but the worst problem is the beds are rock-hard. Two of us stayed last night and we both had the same complaint.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Sean A, Director of Operations at Flatiron Hotel, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
It's unfortunate you did not find the bed to your liking during your stay with us. We have always received great reviews from our guests pertaining to the comfort of our mattress and bedding. I would greatly appreciate if you could reach out to me with the room number you stayed in so I can personally investigate this matter. Thank you for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
New Haven, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed in a fourth floor corner room overlooking broadway and 26th on a Saturday night. The music in the bar on the first floor was very loud until about 1:30 AM. Otherwise we liked the room, which had many creature features like the mirrored tv built into the bathroom vanity. I also liked the classic architectural design of the room, but the blue lighting in the hallway was garish and tacky. The thing that really disappointed me was that our room keys were deprogrammed at least ten minutes before checkout. We had been out to breakfast and hurried back to our room with ten minutes to spare. Neither key worked. I brought mine downstairs and was told by the receptionist that the locks are programmed to automatically reset a few minutes before checkout. This makes absolutely no sense and I complained to a manager, who was nice enough.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the Flatiron Hotel and enjoyed the many gadgets featured in the room...especially the television in the bathroom mirror. I apologize your key was deactivated before your departure. The keys are automatically programmed to deactivate one hour after your scheduled departure...it is possible your key was demagnetized by an electronic devise you may have had on you.
Glen Cove, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

I didn't realize I was checking into a place where the ENTIRE lobby was a pitch black nightclub with a screaming band. I wasn't prepared for so much noise. This place can't decide what it wants to be-- hotel or nightclub.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

I stayed there with my family this weekend, and my friend went to pick me up for brunch this morning. I realized that I forgot my wallet in the room, so I asked her to wait for me in the lobby while I went back to the room to grab my wallet. However, the bellman kicked her out of the hotel lobby, even after she stated that she's waiting for me, a paying guest in the hotel. He was being extremely rude to her. I was only gone for less than 5 minutes, and seriously your staffs wouldn't let a well-dressed 20-year-old girl to wait in the lobby for 5 minutes when it was raining and cold outside?
RUDE STAFF (the male doorman who is working around noon this Sunday)! so I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO THE HOTEL.
To the doorman who kicked her out: you ruined the day.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ELIANG2013
Sean A, Director of Operations at Flatiron Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
I apologize if the bellman was perceived rude and abrupt but to ensure the safety of our guests we ask patrons at the very least for the name of the guest they are waiting for. In this particular situation the bellman said the lady waiting could not give your registered name. She waited over a half hour for you and left on her own. Customer satisfaction is very important at the Flatiron Hotel but our guest safety always comes first.
Westport, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

Very comfortable, clean, user friendly hotel in a central location. Though the neighborhood is a business area that is largely quiet and dark at night, but for a few trendy restaurants and bars, it is easy to catch a cab on Broadway a few feet away. The room was very nicely furnished with more storage than most rooms, an extremely comfortable bed, and appealing modern design. But nothing beats the staff: I had forgotten to pack a tie and mentioned it to the desk clerk who proceeded to loosen his tie and hand it to me. While I didn't take it -- it was a very nice tie, by the way! -- I will never forget the gesture!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Flatiron Hotel. Our staff takes great pride in providing excellent service and we look forward to your return.
Sister Bay, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

The staff at Flatiron Hotel were warm, hospitable and willing to go the extra mile to help us feel welcome in the City; and also to address an issue that did occur. I really appreciated this! Also, the rooms are very nice by NYC standards.

Room Tip: I preferred the King size bed room on the end of the building. Just a bit more square footage and la...