“Great Central Location”

Ranked #347 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Newtown, Connecticut
“Great Central Location”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed two nights at the Flatiron Hotel while in the city to catch a show. Valet parking was worth not having to haul your luggage down the street as it was $48 to valet and only three dollars cheaper to self-park.

The lobby has a beautiful floor to ceiling fish tank tube. When I requested a high floor, the manager advised that there was a party going on in the penthouse that night and would prefer to put us two levels below to avoid being disturbed.

As with any New York hotel, the deluxe king room and bathroom were very small. However, the bathroom made up for it in big ways: television in the mirror (which I haven't seen anywhere but the Four Seasons), a rainfall shower with six additional body sprayers, and nice toiletries. Some improvements could be made in the quality of pillows and mattress (rock hard) and towels (small and scratchy).

The lobby bar looked nice but was inundated every night with non-guests coming to hang out and listen to the (awful) band that was playing. Walking through it during the day showed some dirt and wear thanks to the sheer number of people that pile in every night. We had no chance to check out the rooftop bar as a visit in February isn't conducive to a relaxing patio drink.

As we came for a Broadway show, we were quite happy with the central location that made walking possible. The hotel has quick access to subway stops, a drugstore in every direction, and a wine shop just a few doors down. A midnight stroll through nearby Washington Square Park felt very safe as did all areas around the hotel.

At checkout, the front desk was doing their best to help a foreign woman who needed a town car to take her to the airport. She didn't have any credit cards accepted in the U.S. and the staff went out of their way to make call after call, looking for any company that would take her reservation with no credit card to hold it. I was impressed at how hard they worked to help that guest.

Upon leaving, the valet stepped into the middle of the street to have traffic stop so we could easily pull into traffic.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
CrystalCorrea, Director of Operations at Flatiron Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear NatalieExpress,
Thank you for taking your time to write us such a detailed review.
We appreciate the kind words about our staff service and glad you enjoyed our fish tank and cool features in our bathroom.
We will definitely look into the items mentioned for improvement; we strive on improving our guest experience.
Thank you again for choosing the Flatiron Hotel, we look forward seeing you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Reviewed 22 March 2014

What a great hotel! Romms were beautifully amended elegant, but simple. This was the most friendly and attentive staff of any hotel I've stayed at in NYC. Benz at the front desk was as courteous as they come and Angelo and Joe treat eveyine like royalty. Right on Toshi!!!!

• Stayed March 2014
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Loved the location and the staff at the Flatiron. The front desk staff was very friendly on check-in and accomodating. I had a flight cancelled and called from the airport to re-book a room for the night and they couldn't have been more accomodating, and gave me a great rate - as it was a quick overnight stay need. The downstairs lounge has great live music and the location is excellent near quite a few amazing bars and restaurants. Centrally located - I'll be staying here as much as possible on my future business trips.

Room Tip: Try the Flatiron Room down the street for a cocktail - excellent vibe, a bit loud, but well made coc...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I had a wonderful experience at the Flatiron hotel. I stayed there for two nights recently when visiting NYC for a conference. From check-in to check-out, the staff were helpful, friendly, and extraordinarily delightful!! I had not been in the city for over ten years and had lots of questions. They answered all of them. The room was comfortable and quiet (as much as you could expect in NYC) with neat details like a rain shower and side jets and a TV in the bathroom mirror. Stay here. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: My room was on the 6th floor right off the elevator in the front of the hotel. I had no problems wha...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Stayed here for a business trip for a month. Lived on 7th floor, didn't hear any music. When there is cold outside, then it's not very comfortable inside the room, especially on the bed that is by the window. But I've asked for additional heater and they gave me.

The staff of the hotel is awesome. Friendly, hospitable and help you with everything.

Owner of the hotel and his dog are great. He lives the hotel's life.

• Stayed February 2014
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I had to find a hotel quickly as my meeting ran over time and I was going to miss my flight. I wanted to try using PayPal as well, so I pre-paid using Hotels.com. The hotel is nice, clean with average size rooms. I've stayed in a lot smaller. The bathroom is tiny, but what it lacks in size it certainly makes up in features. There's a rain shower head and full body shower heads so you know you're going to wake up when these hit you. There's also a TV discreetly hidden behind the vanity mirror. The staff are friendly. On check in I was told that I would be charged an additional $100 to cover incidentals and I had no problem with that. Most hotels authorize a $1.00 charge but their policy was the full $100.00. The next day I quickly checked out and got into a car. Whilst heading to the airport I viewed my bill and noticed I was charged for my room (even though it was pre paid) and charged $200 for incidentals. I called and the receptionist stated that the charging was automatic and would "drop off" within a week. So they had charged $355 to my card. I wasn't happy with that!

Room Tip: There are bands that play during the evenings. I was on the third floor and could hear the drums bea...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

This perfectly located hotel - within walking distance to everything - combines very friendly service with a 'happening' ambience. With a club/bar on the ground floor, you feel as if you are right in the midst of a NYC experience. The rooms are somewhat small, but well-appointed with a multiple-head shower and a very comfortable (double) bed. If you stay on the upper floors, you will not hear the club noise, though street noises do come through....it is not, however, on a heavily trafficked street, so that's not much of an issue. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple