“Don't stay here” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #327 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Seattle, Washington
“Don't stay here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

One of worst hotel experiences we have ever had. Toshi does not love you if he thinks anyone should stay on floors 3&4, and 8 -10. We were originally put on 3rd floor. 1st floor is their lobby and bar where they have alive band every night, 2nd floor is another lounge area. Our friends were on 10th floor, underneath the penthouse where they also host parties with live bands or djs. Weekends they play very loud music till 2 in the morning. Returning to our room on 3rd floor, you would smell weed coming up from the lounge in the hallway. The rooms are not very sound insulated, so on the third floor room, it sounds like you are still in the lounge. Then after music stops you can hear the partiers out on street. We were not able to go to sleep till 4 am due to the noise. Same with our friends on the 10th floor.

Hotel did move us to the 7th floor (which was quieter) after we complained about not being able to go to sleep on the 3rd floor. But this room the shower was really musty, because the shower did not drain properly.

Our third floor room had no pen and paper, there was a leather notebook that usually has info on the hotel it was brand new and completely empty. Why would you even put this in the room? There was no luggage rack, no alarm clock. Our shower in the third floor room would run when ever someone else in a room around us was taking a shower, as a result the floor flooded. There is no room service. The bar/lounge downstairs was out of every single wine on their menu. They were no help on concierge services, literally had no clue what restaurants/bars etc were around the hotel.

I still don't understand the live music concept of toshi loves u lounge. It is not that packed and they don't have any alcohol they list on the menu. They can't be making that much money on the nightlife, but they jeopardize the satisfaction of their hotel guest that would bring most of the revenue of the hotel. As a business man it does not make sense. If you want to do this music concept. Then totally sound insulate your rooms, so the floors above and below your loud music are quiet and people can actually do what they pay for a hotel for- sleep!

My advice is to never stay here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank scott c

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

This hotel is a disaster for the business traveler. The noise from the band in the lobby keeps those on lower floors awake. My air conditioner was noisy and it was impossible to complain except by going to the front desk because the phone in the room did not work!! I had to go to the desk to request a wake-up call.

The next morning I decided to eat in the hotel because it was raining. I was told that they were out of regular coffee and had only Decaf! How can you be out of coffee in NYC!!!

The service at the desk was confused and the staff had to consult the manager every two minutes because they had not mastered the computer commands.

This place was simply the worst hotel experience I have had in NYC in decades!

Room Tip: For a good room and fine experience, go to another hotel!
2 Thank Deborah K
CrystalCorrea, Director of Operations at Flatiron Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Deborah K,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent visit. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you experienced while staying with us. Your notes were very helpful. Toshi’s Living Room is the hotel’s lounge and restaurant which has live music 6 days a week. We try our best to accommodate our guests who are light sleepers on higher floors.

If you would reconsider the Flatiron Hotel for future stays, please contact me directly so I may oversee your stay.

Best regards,

Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

Don't stay here if you're in town on business and need a good night's sleep. Ultra thin walls. You can hear the nightclub downstairs (even with a white noise machine) and the drunks down the hall. Tiny room. Tiny bathroom. Phone didn't work. The modern amenities advertised are cool but the hotel assumes you know how the gadgets work and don't provide any instructions. I won't be staying here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Basketballfan
Dear Basketballfan,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent visit. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you experienced while staying with us. I'm glad that you were appreciative of our room features and we will work to provide instructions for future guests. Your notes were very helpful. Toshi’s Living Room is the hotel’s lounge and restaurant which has live music 6 days a week. We try our best to accommodate our guests who are light sleepers on higher floors.

Best regards,

Tempe, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

After a day of flight delays, I was looking forward to checking in and getting a good night's sleep before two days of meetings. When we pulled up in front, the cab driver said, "Oh, I'm sorry you have to go into that noisy place." The band was in full roar and you could hear them in the street. Inside, the front desk person and I had to shout at each other to be heard over the music while I checked in. I asked for a room on a higher floor, and he sent me to 5, which wasn't quite high enough. It was also on the 5th Ave. side of the building, so I could hear the music from the lobby, as well as the raucous party that went on in the street from about midnight until 3, the subway, and someone's small dog yapping for hours on end. I had forgotten my earplugs, so the first night I suffered, but the next night I left the fan running all night for white noise and it was somewhat better. I visit New York a lot, so I understand city noise, but this was over the top.

The room itself was fine, although mine didn't have all of the amenities advertised on the hotel web site. I had a standard tub and shower -- no rain shower or jacuzzi -- and no electric curtains. The TV in the bathroom mirror was cute, but the lighting around the mirror was dreadful -- I had to put my makeup on in the mirror next to the door where I could actually see what I was doing. The room was fairly large and mostly clean, although the carpet was stained and ripped in one spot and the chairs had stains on them. Also, the window was so dirty I wouldn't have been able to see the view if there had been one. (I realize winter just ended, but wow, the grime was astounding.)

The best part about staying here is the location. It's in the middle of everything and an easy walk to food, shopping, and entertainment. Madison Square Park and the Shake Shack are steps away, as is Eataly. There's also a popup food square in Madison Square Park where you can find all kinds of ethnic street food for a reasonable amount of money.

In short, I doubt I would stay here again. Details are critically important, and this place drops the ball. And really, having a rowdy nightclub in the main part of the hotel is unpleasant if you're there to work or rest. (Although I guess if you're there to party, it would be just fine.) There are many better options in the same price range where you can actually enjoy peace and quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 26th Street side of the building and as high up as you can get. Stay away from...
1 Thank julias21
Novara
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

everything OK, nice hotel, quiet room, close to everything, subway next to door.
Room and bathroom are wider that what you have in most hotels in manhattan.
Wifi connection not at best..most of the time slow or not working at all (but it could have been a temporary problem..)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paul6212_
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

I want to start by saying that the Flatiron is a lovely hotel. It's truly a beautiful little boutique hotel. Unfortunately, the service of said hotel was fairly terrible. Check in went fine, people at the front desk were friendly. I went downstairs to grab dinner in their bar and was told after ordering that I couldn't eat there because they were having a private party. And then they asked me to move to the bar. After getting my food I headed back up to my room, to find that the automatic curtains in my room were malfunctioning and opening and closing randomly. I called down and they told me they should stop shortly. Sure enough, after 20 minutes they stopped. Ate, went to bed. Fast forward, curtains opening and closing randomly at 2AM. Sigh. Again, stopped 20 minutes later. In the morning I figured out that the issue was that the curtain was catching on itself and giving just enough resistance that the mechanism thought I was trying to reopen the curtains.

The next morning I called down at 10:25 to ask for my car from valet. Kendra told me it would be 10-15 minutes. I came downstairs at 10:40. At 11:00, Angelo, the doorman, kindly asked if I was asking for something. That's when I went back to the front desk and once again asked about my car. That's when Kendra told me how swamped she was and admitted she hadn't called for the car yet. It was another 20 minutes before my car was delivered - 55 minutes after I called.

I feel that I was mostly blown off as a guest of the Flatiron. It did not leave the best taste in my mouth and I will have a hard time recommending this hotel to others as a result.

2 Thank Martinic_chic
CrystalCorrea, Director of Operations at Flatiron Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Martinic_chic,

Thank you for choosing the Flatiron Hotel for your recent stay and for your feedback. My sincerest apologies in the areas mentioned in which we were lacking. I will certainly use your criticism to enhance our product.

If you decide to give the Flatiron Hotel another chance, please contact me directly so that I may personally accommodate you.

Flagstaff, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Located in walking distance or easy taxi ride to everything. We started with coffee and bagels/danish from a fantastic and inexpensive stand in the park then walked throughout the day to everything we wanted to see from financial district, to highline, to times square and shows, as well as central park and museums.

We were two couples and the staff made us (and everyone else) feel like VIPs. From Angelo opening the door making fabulous recommendations, to over the top service from Kendra and Benz (relax on the couches in the lounge, I'll print your boarding passes and bring them to you). I've stayed at numerous specialty and boutique hotels since I visit 2-3 times a year but I can't see staying anywhere else now. No rooms in NYC are large but these are redesigned to use the space wonderfully, fantastic lighting for reading, fun high tech touches like a TV in the bathroom mirror and keys that you simply wave at the pad. There is a comfortable living room style bar and restaurant that has music every night, it made the decision to see a show hard but was wonderful to return to. The energy of the hotel and staff is what hooks you - you never want to leave.

We had a bit of a glitch and confusion with the reservation system but they attended to it professionally and with grace beyond hotels that charge 3-4 times the price cannot manage. We left realizing there was nothing we could have done to improve the experience at this fantastic establishment -a rare event. Keep up the wonderful work we can't wait to return.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple