“lumpy bed and a side of attitude”

Harlem Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #50 of 77 New York City B&B and Inns
Florida City, Florida
“lumpy bed and a side of attitude”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

this was not my first time staying at a NYC B&B and i have never been made to feel like such a burden to check in, especially since it was at a slow 4pm afternoon. Check in took over 20 min and the air was stiff from the desk clerks attitude. as i climbed the stairs grateful to settle in i opened the door to my spacious yet stuffy room. the beds were terrible and and too short I'm 5'8 and my boyfriend is 6'2 are feet froze as they hung of the bed all night ... how did this happen? i guess the star ratings tell it all and i will never recommend this place to a friend or colleague.

Room Tip: do not try to converse with the desk clerk, she will be annoyed.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Prtha G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

We were staying here with 4 people for almost a week. We got a big room with place for 6 persons.
The beds were great, the breakfast every morning is fantastic. The rooms are clean. You have to know that the bathrooms are shared but you can lock the door so it isn't really a problem. Some people say the neighborhood isn't safe but I didn't felt unsafe here.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Pazza1908
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Great place, love the complimentary breakfast delicatessen and pastries
The kitchen is convenient and the beds are perfect sized for a place in NY. The housekeeping was wonderful; the owner was such a charming man
The location is great-- a short walk to the subway and Central Park

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Sexyinsouciance
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 24 September 2013

It looked so promising, but was not. The room was so small i had to move my bag to get out the door, the place was noisy, the room was so stuffy but with the air-conditioning you could not think for the noise. Then there was the noise from the bathroom next door, not very pleasant. I rang the owner to try to get an upgrade after the desk clerk could not assist but after 4 calls, 4 hours and now reply I left. Some of the other rooms maybe nicer but not where I was. I have stayed in B & B's all over the world and this was by far the worst.

Room Tip: Don't ever get the the single room - its next to the bathroom, has no windows and is the size of...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I do recommend Harlem B&B. It was very clean, very reasonable. I would definitely stay there again. As long as you know that it is a shared bathroom, enjoy the considerate service and all this b&b has to offer!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Toronto
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We enjoyed our stay in Harlem Bed and Breakfast. The room was great, very clean, with our own sink, fridge, stove top and microwave (if I remember correctly about the microwave). The shared bathroom was fine, close to our room and we never had to wait to use it. In fact when both of us wanted to shower at the same time one of us used the bathroom on the other floor and we still didn't have to wait. The beds were oddly short, which was fine for me as I am 5'2" but it would be a problem for anybody tallish, for example, I would not recommend my 5'11" sister stay here for this reason alone.

We felt really safe in this part of Harlem, it is very convenient, close to the subway, close to Central Park. We walked downtown several times from this place (which was quite the walk but we enjoy walking).

The service was sometimes great (amazing actually, super helpful staff) and other times not so great. Some of the staff is more helpful then others. The wifi was sometimes off so we would have to ask the staff to reset it. But other wise it was fine. We left our stuff here the last day after we checked out and that was fine, we picked it up when we were ready to leave NYC.

Harlem is charming, we adored it! Gentlemen wishing us good morning and holding doors open for us. But if you stray into different parts you may have a less pleasant experience so be aware of where you are going.

It has a hostel feeling when you walk in as there is no living room or homely feeling that you often get with a Bed and Breakfast, but I believe this has more to do with the layout of Harlem Bed Brown Stones. Hostels do not have such nice rooms, private fridges and stoves, pretty decent linens.

We would 100% stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank WuSister
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I've stayed here a few times. I keep coming back for a reason.1- The place is very well priced. 2- The place is super clean. 3- The breakfast (and food throughout the day) is excellent. 4-The pastries are so nice. 5- The owner and staff are extremely helpful. 6- The neighborhood is fantastic. So full of history and on the doorstep of the centre of Manhattan.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo