“A place to rest your head”

Harlem Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #50 of 79 New York City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I agree with many of the the previous comments. It is an affordable place to lay your head and it provides a great opportunity to explore Harlem, however,the walls are thin and the stairs are creaky, not the best option if you are a light sleeper.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

It was not too bad but they have mice in their rooms.The put all the muffins in the entrance without covering them .They clean every day but it not really clean.The owner and the people working there are nice.The price is too expensive .

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I stayed here over the course of Xmas and NY doing some travelling, great part of the neighbourhood, close to 116th Subway, you can get the express into downtown (2 or 3 train) close to 125th St if you want to get some shopping in. Also close to Amy Ruth's Resturaunt for some delicious soul food. They provide free breakfast every morning and there is free wi-fi is available. Most times we ate Breakfast back in our rooms as area where food is kept is quite small, coffee/tea available all day is great. The staff are friendly and the owner Scott is friendly and helpful. The place seems more like a hostel (a clean one or think dorm type) then a B&B type. Rooms are clean, gets a bit stuffy at times with the central heating but that was not a bother for us. The bathrooms/toilets on each level are shared but it was never a problem waiting and it was always clean. It was safe walking around our area, we would even come back home real late and it was fine, staff were around till about 11:30-ish. Loved the area, you get a taste of the Boroughs staying here and quiet enough to not be in the thick of downtown where it is crazy busy. It's decent if your here for a quick trip and want to save on money.

Room Tip: we were on the 3rd level, be cautious as quite steep walking up and down.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I am not sure if I would recommend this place. Room was big and clean. That is a positive thing. Street was quiet and residential, pleasant. Shops and restaurants in the heighbourhood. We would come home by taxi in the evening, because we felt a bit uncanny to travel the metro late at night (20-40$ depending on starting point). Location not central, but metro and taxi took us anywhere on Manhattan within 30 minutes. Staff that we've seen were two young ladies, that hardly spoke any English and were indifferent, sometimes even unfriendly, not of any use to help you get around in the city. The first days they kept telling us to pay, by opening a booklet that showed the supposed amount due. I couldn't get across that I had payed when booking, not even by showing the transaction listed on my credit card account. I finally called the manager, who was friendly, but still took two days to find out that I had payed. We had quite some trouble getting the shower to work, a few times there wasn't enough hot water for both. The room was extremely hot, we could only control the temperature by opening the windows. Breakfast was ok, coffee and tea available all day. If I'd return to New York, I would not necessarily come back here, but invest a little bit more money or effort in finding a better place. Still, given the price, we might not have expected more in the biggest tourist city in the world. Friendly and helpfull staff would have made the difference.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank GroenGer
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I am a former New Yorker, and was returning to celebrate a friend's baby shower, so I was looking for a great deal. I had previously booked a room in midtown, but the price increased per day, especially over the weekend. So, to save money, I took a friend's recommendation to come to Harlem Bed and Breakfast. So, I checked out of my very lovely room in Midtown, and headed there the next morning. BIG MISTAKE!! I had to call them on my cell phone to tell them I was downstairs trying to be let in! By the way, who decorated this place? A few drunk college party boys? I could get over that until I started seeing roaches in the bathroom! And there was a mouse trap behind the 'couch', which you had to step onto to open the window, cause it was SO stuffy in there. Breakfast? Sure if you want yogurt or juice that just sitting out with no refrigeration or ice? Hard muffins? The smell of big spray? I wouldn't send my worst enemy there; especially to have to listen to the conversations that come right through the wall from the "office", which seems to be run by people who could care less. BAD IDEA! Pay the money and go some where really nice! Oh, and there was only one flimsy lock on the door, which I could pick and I've never picked a lock before!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank ElleTaylor2014
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Staff is not attentive or friendly. It feels you are alone in the "hostel" and the staff act like guests. Breakfast was so poor (only bread and some muffins, no eggs, no bacon, no ham).
Rooms were clean and greatly equipped.
The location of the B&B is on the "poor" side of Manhattan.
I was expecting more for almost 100 USD a night.
Additionally my toothbrush and a towel of mine disappeared (staff argued that it was sent to laundry by mistake and I've never seen it again).
Prepare to wait up to 30m in order to enter the building (on checkin) because probably staff would be only 1 person and she may be sleeping or doing something.

Room Tip: Room 2 on the first floor is great because the bathroom would be kind of private to you.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank claudiotx
Reviewed 9 January 2014

this was not my first time staying at a NYC B&B and i have never been made to feel like such a burden to check in, especially since it was at a slow 4pm afternoon. Check in took over 20 min and the air was stiff from the desk clerks attitude. as i climbed the stairs grateful to settle in i opened the door to my spacious yet stuffy room. the beds were terrible and and too short I'm 5'8 and my boyfriend is 6'2 are feet froze as they hung of the bed all night ... how did this happen? i guess the star ratings tell it all and i will never recommend this place to a friend or colleague.

Room Tip: do not try to converse with the desk clerk, she will be annoyed.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple