“Lovely New York spot!”
Review of Chambers Hotel

Chambers Hotel
Ranked #141 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 16 June 2014

First, we did get upgraded to a suite on the 15th floor. Oh, was it sweet! Beautifully appointed room. Lots of special touches in the sitting area- the orchid, the art, the great art books. The king bed was super comfy,lovely linens. The best part may have been the view if the water towers on the roof next door. A sculpture in itself. Staff is adorable and the location is perfect!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Hello, Patty M.

It's a delight knowing how much you enjoyed your time at Chambers. Thank you for letting us and all TripAdvisor know.

I have a soft spot for those water towers, too.

When next back East please let us know and while we may not be able to offer an upgrade we will take all fine care.

General Hawkins

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I booked a two night weekend stay at Chambers based on recommendations from the Mr and Mrs Smith website. I then found out that Ma Peche (by the Momofuku group) was in the hotel which was a bonus.

I found the staff very friendly to me even when I came to drop my bags off very early in pouring rain.

The rooms are big for New York and the room was nice and bright. The bathroom was newish and shower great. The bathroom amenities were good and the mini bar and other things available well thought through (Dean and Deluca, Dr Hauschksa etc). You can even buy a David Chang cookbook! Room service is from Ma Peche and the momofuku milk bar which has some great desserts and snacks.

The location is great - close to 5th avenue shopping etc.

Overall a good visit. I love smaller boutique hotels. This was was better value and much better than other NY hotels I've stayed at which are generally small, tired, dated and dark.

Room Tip: My room wasn't on the street side and on a higher floor so it was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Hello AussiDoris,

How glad we are you used Mr. And Mrs. Smith (we like them a lot, too) and found Chambers. I am very pleased you noticed the Hauschka, it keeps the skin in fine shape, what with planes and all.

Má Pêche is a pleasure as our canteen and I am hoping to have D. Chang give a few cooking lessons on the side.

Thank you very much for sharing your kind words, they are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I had a 2 night stay here and while I enjoyed the hotel I noticed problems.

The best part was the room, which was very spacious. The platform bed looked good but was a little stiff.

Some of the staff were great, some a little disappointing. Kai was by far the friendliest employee.

The shower is a problem that must be fixed. It is impossible not to get the bathroom floor soaking wet. Just add more glass to the shower doors and the problem is resolved.

The lobby area carpeting was also dirty.

While the location is great, I am unsure of whether I would return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BulldogMatt

Dear BulldogMatt,

Many thanks on your keen eye, it is always appreciated.

We, of course, would love having you stay with us again and again. Perhaps you would be comfortable contacting me directly and we can assure your complete satisfaction.

Once again, thank you for your discernment.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

This hotel has good people who are very helpful and positive. It is not unreasonably priced, but is comfortable, with decent rooms, wonderful showers and overall really different in "feel" to the larger mid-town hotels. I really do think I'll stay there next time I travel to NYC.

Room Tip: The rooms have very limited storage space, so bear that in mind if "sharing" a room - my w...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank junglefresh
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear junglefresh,

Yes, it always comes down to people and we have the best around. Thank you for noticing.
Please let us know when you return and we will be happy to send up an extra clothing rack.

Perhaps you will give me a quick note or call and let me know how we may improve on sleep quality. It's how we learn and we are always very, very appreciative.

Yours kindly,

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I stayed at the Chambers on a recent visit to New York and it was perfect - my interaction with them went way before my stay where they were happy to receive a package for me before my arrival. I felt I had enough space and the room was comfortable - the unique art in the room hallways are a nice touch and the rain shower in the bathroom - a pleasure. Ma Peche the local inhouse restaurant was great - food was fantastic and I especially enjoyed the French Toast for breakfast. Mid-town location could not be beat - close to 5th Avenue shopping, a couple of blocks away from central park and Moma - meant I could cram as much as I possible for the two days I was there. The people at the establishment were what made my stay - the concierge was more than happy to give advice and tips of what to do and see. I'd highly recommend it and could summarize my overall impression with: Great location and great service

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank BennyOu82

Hello Benny0u82,

Great to have you spread the word. Thank you and let us know when you're headed our way again, maybe for a bit more than two days. Yet whatever time you have here we will be only too pleased to help you fill it exactly how you would like.

Enjoy a lovely Cape Town winter.

Yours,

Reviewed 31 May 2014

After Vegas and the hotel Vdara, arriving late here we were a little disappointed. It was thundering and lightening outside and the rain was very heavy, so not the best introduction to New York. Having said that, the next morning, it began to grow on us, and although the room smelled a little foisty, and our room was the only one of the 3 that only had cold air, when we needed hot to dry our clothes out, we warmed to it. The bed was comfy and the bathroom was well stocked with toiletries and a lovely powerful shower. As a woman I always look for a plug near a mirror for doing hair and putting on makeup, this room was sadly lacking and I had to use the bathroom, which was awkward when my husband was also trying to get ready.
I must mention Ty, the doorman that was there for the 3 days we were, he was lovely, and gave us a lot of information and help about New York etc.
The bar is not wonderful, as there are only 4 stools against it and nowhere else to sit, and the coffee shop is used by the public as well as hotel guest's so always queues for a coffee. Having said that, guests have free tea and coffee throughout their stay, which is a bonus, and after getting back late one night, one of our party asked for a cup of coffee and they took a kettle, coffee, milk etc up to his room and replenished them every day.
This hotel is in a fantastic place for sightseeing, near Central Park and Times Square, Carnegie Hall was on the corner of the street, and the underground was only 5 minutes walk away. If we had started our tour of America here, we would have thought it was good immediately, a typical City Hotel, but very friendly.

Room Tip: We had a side room which didn't have any view at all. If you want a view ask for a front room...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear ab1953,

It surely sounds like an exciting arrival. I understand you would have preferred a private coffee lounge and an extra plug. We can certainly add the outlet, although a private coffee bar will be a tad more difficult.

I will gladly pass your kind words to Ty.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I was there just for 2 nights but I have to say Jose was AWESOME!!! He met me at the door, took my bags and brought them up to my room and had the best personality (he wasn't too bad to look at either!). He also stood in the rain and hailed me a cab, gave me directions to where I needed to go and all with a smile! The rooms were nice and clean. Bed was comfortable! Turn down service was great with chocolate on your pillow! But the best part was that rain shower.....it didn't just trickle down. It was a full on rain storm!! The water pressure was awesome.....I didn't want to get out from under the water. And since I was staying over in NY from my 9 day trip from Ireland, that shower made a world of difference!

Only a couple of complaints: when I stepped off the elevator for my floor, the hallway smelt like smoke. I didn't know if that floor was a smoking floor or not but it kind of lingered a bit and it wasn't really appealing. Also, it was a bit far from everything that I wanted to do. That's not the hotels fault obviously but if you're wanting to go out to sight see (WTC) or be closer to the restaurants in like little Italy or drinks down on Stone Street then find a hotel closer ( wish Chambers could be that hotel but it's not :( ) This hotel is great for shopping on 5th Ave. though.... All kinds of shopping and walking distance from the hotel along with some great museums!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Michelle L
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Michelle L,

Jose is very handsome indeed, but best of all he is terrifically kind and helpful and knowledgeable and and and simply one of the finest gentlemen around. We are very lucky in having him with us.

We are very pleased you enjoyed the hotel in general.

Surely let me know when you are next visiting New York or simply laying over and I will be happy to suggest a few hotels closer to your preferred sights, though we'd be very happy to have you back and show you a few of our neighborhood's hidden gems.

In all events, many thanks for your kind words.