“really a 4 and a half.......”
Review of Chambers Hotel

Chambers Hotel
Ranked #138 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Paris, France
“really a 4 and a half.......”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I wish I could give this place a 4 and a half, its great with very small but/s

wonderfully located, just steps away from 5th avenue almost at the park end, down a small side street, this is a smallish boutique style place with a little charm and staff with lots of personality. Everyone is relaxed and friendly, I love the fact the uniform is not stuffy and uptight it lends itself well to the atmosphere of the place.

The room size was decent enough, and the bathroom actually quite large.

My only buts, and they are small ones but it stopped it from being a 5 for me: I love a tub in the bathroom (but not so usual in NYC) and the room service menu isn't really up to much, I had 2 nights working from my hotel room and there wasn't really anything adequate for dinner as an option, there is a 'milk' bar attached to the hotel, but its more snacky stuff

I would definitely go back, I usually staff at Rogers or The Library and it compares very well

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Ms. LenaDubai,

Thank you for your 4 1/2 and I think we can get it to 5 stars. We have indeed got rooms with bath tubs, starting with our Studio categories. Too, we have got a limited actual room service menu but the lovely folks at Momofuku Má Pêche serve their full menu to all rooms, lunch and dinner. I am very sorry you were not aware of this and I will certainly find out why your room did not have their full menu as I have asked.

In all events, I am very glad you were pleased and offer you contacting me directly for your next visit that I may ensure all amenities are in place.

Ansell Hawkins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Really enjoyed our stay at the Chambers hotel - the location was magnificent! The service was excellent, and it had the feel of a smaller, more intimate hotel even though it is in the heart of NYC. Outstanding shower as well - I would highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hello JBradleyR.

Thank you for your very kind words, we greatly appreciate them.

Yes, even though we are smack dab in the middle of it all, we like to keep it on the quiet side. We all need a respite and, well, that and the shower will calm many a busy New York day.

We'd be delighted having you with us anytime.

Yours kindly,

London
Reviewed 17 June 2014

One of the better boutique hotels i have stayed at in NYC. bed was v comfy and shower was great. nice location just off fifth av. Lighting in elevator is v v dark, but rooms were v well lit. restaurant lets it down, more of a canteen. trendy clientele, and active bar in the evenings.

Room Tip: go high, suspect, but dont kniw, that lower rooms cld be noisy.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear CrazyboutUS,

Thank you and we're kind of crazy about London and the UK. Thank you for spreading the good word. What beats a fine bed, a terrific shower and a great canteen?

Until soon and thanks again,

Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

First, we did get upgraded to a suite on the 15th floor. Oh, was it sweet! Beautifully appointed room. Lots of special touches in the sitting area- the orchid, the art, the great art books. The king bed was super comfy,lovely linens. The best part may have been the view if the water towers on the roof next door. A sculpture in itself. Staff is adorable and the location is perfect!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello, Patty M.

It's a delight knowing how much you enjoyed your time at Chambers. Thank you for letting us and all TripAdvisor know.

I have a soft spot for those water towers, too.

When next back East please let us know and while we may not be able to offer an upgrade we will take all fine care.

General Hawkins
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I booked a two night weekend stay at Chambers based on recommendations from the Mr and Mrs Smith website. I then found out that Ma Peche (by the Momofuku group) was in the hotel which was a bonus.

I found the staff very friendly to me even when I came to drop my bags off very early in pouring rain.

The rooms are big for New York and the room was nice and bright. The bathroom was newish and shower great. The bathroom amenities were good and the mini bar and other things available well thought through (Dean and Deluca, Dr Hauschksa etc). You can even buy a David Chang cookbook! Room service is from Ma Peche and the momofuku milk bar which has some great desserts and snacks.

The location is great - close to 5th avenue shopping etc.

Overall a good visit. I love smaller boutique hotels. This was was better value and much better than other NY hotels I've stayed at which are generally small, tired, dated and dark.

Room Tip: My room wasn't on the street side and on a higher floor so it was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Hello AussiDoris,

How glad we are you used Mr. And Mrs. Smith (we like them a lot, too) and found Chambers. I am very pleased you noticed the Hauschka, it keeps the skin in fine shape, what with planes and all.

Má Pêche is a pleasure as our canteen and I am hoping to have D. Chang give a few cooking lessons on the side.

Thank you very much for sharing your kind words, they are greatly appreciated.

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I had a 2 night stay here and while I enjoyed the hotel I noticed problems.

The best part was the room, which was very spacious. The platform bed looked good but was a little stiff.

Some of the staff were great, some a little disappointing. Kai was by far the friendliest employee.

The shower is a problem that must be fixed. It is impossible not to get the bathroom floor soaking wet. Just add more glass to the shower doors and the problem is resolved.

The lobby area carpeting was also dirty.

While the location is great, I am unsure of whether I would return.

1 Thank BulldogMatt
Dear BulldogMatt,

Many thanks on your keen eye, it is always appreciated.

We, of course, would love having you stay with us again and again. Perhaps you would be comfortable contacting me directly and we can assure your complete satisfaction.

Once again, thank you for your discernment.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

This hotel has good people who are very helpful and positive. It is not unreasonably priced, but is comfortable, with decent rooms, wonderful showers and overall really different in "feel" to the larger mid-town hotels. I really do think I'll stay there next time I travel to NYC.

Room Tip: The rooms have very limited storage space, so bear that in mind if "sharing" a room - my w...
1 Thank junglefresh
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear junglefresh,

Yes, it always comes down to people and we have the best around. Thank you for noticing.
Please let us know when you return and we will be happy to send up an extra clothing rack.

Perhaps you will give me a quick note or call and let me know how we may improve on sleep quality. It's how we learn and we are always very, very appreciative.

Yours kindly,