“don't stay here”

Ranked #139 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles, California
“don't stay here”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed at in NYC. Every time I come to NYC I stay at a different hotel so I have definitely tried enough to made such a comment.

1) The service
- The service in this hotel is way below par, I'd give it a 2 star. The staff at the lobby would literally watch you struggle lugging your luggages through the door and not give you any assistance.
- During my stay here, they had issues with their elevators. They don't have any measures to mitigate the problem. I was waiting in the lift lobby for almost 10 minutes to get an elevator and no one would tell you that the elevator was out of service. And they are not apologetic about the situation at all, if they don't appear facetious about the whole situation. (and this elevator malfunction happens ALL THE TIME)

2) The rate
The hotel room is so basic that you won't even be able to find an iron in the room.They are charging a 5 star rate with 2 star amenities and services.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Edwin P
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Mr. Edwin P.

I am deeply chagrined you have had such a poor impression at Chambers.

Please know we do not keep irons and boards in room as we like to have our guests experience freedom from the necessaries of household life, We do, however, have any and all available at a moments notice.

Many thanks for your comments.

Ansell Hawkins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Hebrew first
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This boutique hotel is truly a jewel in the heart of Manhattan! Two blocks away from Central Park, between 5th and 6th avenue it is in the midst of the shopping area and at very close distance of for example the MOMA. When you step inside the staff immediately welcomes you, and gives you nice personal attention - without getting pushy. Inside the hotel is a famous milk&cookies bar and a (good) trendy restaurant. The rooms are large, clean and with many nice details which suit a 5 star hotel. We really enjoyed our stay and are looking forward to return soon!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NLcycle
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear NLcycle,

Thank you very much for your kind words of praise.We appreciate them. Too, we appreciate you having chosen Chambers and do let us know when you plan to return. We can let you in on a few of our favorite rides.

KIndly,

Haifa, Israel
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I stayed at the Chambers Hotel 2 nights at the end of July 2014. When I arrived from the airport, Iwas welcomed by Thai (hope I don't mispell his name} who was very friendly and helpful. Whenever we met he gave me the feeling that I am the only guest in the hotel - and I definitely wasn't. The hotel and room design was fanthastic. Comparing with other New York hotels I've stayed in, the Chambers' room (and mine wasn't one of the best) was spacious and pamperring with very good amenites and a "rain" shower, flip flops and bath robe. Every spot in the room and the hotel has something unique and beautifull. The location is great - between the 5th and the 6th Ave a few minutes walk distance to 2 different Metro lines, 5 minutes walk to the Central Park. I loved it, I recommend it by all means and I will definitely stay there again whenever I return to New York. Just don't take the supershuttle from JFK - the Chambers is the last on their route and it took about 2 hours to get there - In a way I enjoyed it too :) .

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
And isn't, Michal539, finding exactly what you were looking for a fine thing indeed?

Many thanks on sharing your enthusiasm, it is surely appreciated.

Sorry about your long time into town, but you sound like a true traveler, enjoying the trip as much as the destination. If next time you prefer speed, we can always arrange an automobile to pick you up.

Ty ( not to worry on the spelling) is a fine fellow, one among many of our fine folks and I will surely let him know your appreciation.

Many thanks again and we hope to see you soon,

Waltham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Chambers is by far the quietest NYC hotel I've ever stayed in - didn't hear 1 siren or horn the entire night. Also, staff was very friendly and helpful and Ma Peche was incredible! I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014
Hello Averymn83,

Many thanks on your kind words, they are greatly appreciated.

We do have an absolutely amazing group of people working at Chambers and Má Pêche is dead on, too.

Let us know when you want to stay again and we will be delighted in helping you find a few other hidden gems. like the very best burger in town or the quietest, most romantic postage stamp park a lovely amble away.

Yours kindly,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is the 2nd time that we've stayed at the Chambers and our only complaint is the construction noise across the street which cannot be helped. On our last day, we checked out and kept our bags in a storage area by the front desk as we had a late flight out. Just as we were heading back to the hotel to get our bags, the craziest rain storm happened and our cell phones gave warnings of flash floods. Of course, in that situation, there were absolutely no cabs available and we couldn't just hang out in a store waiting for the rain to stop as we had to get to the airport. We arrived at the hotel looking like 3 drowned rats and the staff ( especially Mara Robin) could not have been more helpful. They explained that the hotel was full so they couldn't give us a room to use to shower and change but they let us use a private washroom as well as an office. They came running with towels and then Mara brought us each a Chambers tank top. We were pretty blown away by the care and service and will stay here on our next NYC visit for sure!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear sr328,

Greetings from tropical New York, though of late we are having some of the finest summer weather in memory. Mara and all here are also some of the finest people one could ever hope to have take care of you.

Our apologies on the noise; New York constantly rebuilding itself, which is one of its charms. It is nearly over, having completed the foundation, the balance is a cakewalk.

We are delighted you like Chambers and thank you for sharing your kind words.

See you soon, travel safely.

Oslo, Norway
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,609 helpful votes
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I spent three days at this hotel in june, and I am quite happy with my choice. There is a small but friendly entrance, with a nice relaxing area overlooking the lobby.

The rooms are small, as all NYC rooms seem to be. Nevertheless you have all you need. The people working here, is perhaps the best thing about the hotel. Very friendly and easy going. Location is convenient, but a bit noisy.

The hotel is in my opinion soon ready for refurbishing. Quite a lot of ware and tare, but not so much that it will ruin your experience.

Worth a stay, but not as special that it maybe used to be.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Imedvindfranord
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Imedvindfranord,

Thank you kindly for your words of praise and cautions on Chambers special-ness. We certainly do have a fine staff and we are very fortunate in that.

I encourage you to contact me with your concerns of the hotel's maintenance. We have very specifically chosen materials that may read as being less than finished in our design. We have attempted to reflect the somewhat rough (applied plaster walls, unfinished sprinkler heads ) world of industrial lofts and juxtaposed this against the finest linens, window treatments and Tibetan wool carpeting.

In all events, I would be delighted speaking with you and meeting you should you choose, and we certainly hope that you will, return to Chambers.

Again, thank you for sharing your observations,

Kindly,

Bermuda
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I just read through the recent and positive reviews of the Chambers hotel. I can't add much more to the others you'll read here except to say, "me too, I agree".

Exceptional in many ways. Great area near central park. Clean. I felt extremely safe here.

I would take exception to the review regarding limited concierge services, although I think the reference was to not having bus schedules. We relied VERY heavily on the concierge, Jose. If you were running the hotel, Jose is the guy you want to be the face of your business. Energetic, personable, helpful and just awesome, there was nothing he could not provide. Jose made recommendations, worked hard to get us the best reservations and even went to the trouble of ordering us a glass of champagne to welcome us at the restaurant. This is amazing service and this all adds up to a memorable stay.

Searching for critique, my worst complaint may be that there was no iron in the room. I don't think we were alone, another guest we talked to also didn't have an iron. But like everything else at this hotel, they intend on catering to your needs. An iron will be brought to you on short notice. they also don't have a gym in the hotel, but they provide that service through a nearby gym facility - so it's even better than in-house gyms.

Of the many hundreds (thousands?) of places to stay in and near New York, I don't think we'd look further than returning to the Chambers on our next trip to the city.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank BDAMark
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Hello BDAMark,

Thank you.

Jose is absolutely terrific and we are thrilled he is ever at our front doors.

Please do visit New York again and surely let me know; I'll have an iron and tea waiting.

Yours kindly,