“Chic Chambers central luxury”
Review of Chambers Hotel

Chambers Hotel
Ranked #131 of 466 Hotels in New York City
London, UK
“Chic Chambers central luxury”
Reviewed 22 March 2007

I booked Chamber very last minute as I tacked one shopping day in New York onto a business trip and I was not disappointed. Beautifully chic, blissful showers and one very good night's sleep set me up for a morning of 5th Avenue shopping - the hotel is perfect located for those wanting the department stores and designer flagships. Well positioned for the theatre district and Central Park too. Lovely, friendly staff and great finishing touches in the room - Dean & Deluca chocolate covered nuts and coloured pencils! My only regrets were that I only got to stay one night and that I didn't get to dine in the restaurant - the menu looked fab. I will definitely go back.

• Liked — The bathroom
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
4 Thank andih

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Hebrew first
London
Reviewed 23 January 2007

I must admit that I arrived at the Chambers with some trepidation after reading some of the reviews regarding the service here. These fears were completely allayed though the moment my girlfriend and I arrived by taxi from JFK and were greeted by a warm and welcoming bellhop and an attentive and informative reception who checked us in.

Throughout our three night stay the service was excellent and all staff members were helpful to a fault.

The King Studio room was amazing with a wonderful shower and soaking tub. The location as well speaks for itself with all the sights and attractions of Fifth Avenue and Central Park on your doorstep.

The only slight hiccup occurred when there was some crossed wires relating to whether breakfast was included in the tariff. This was resolved though in a professional and polite manner.

There's no business centre so you can't check emails, send faxes etc unless you have your own laptop. However the hotel lend out laptops and there is a high speed connection in the room. Reception also checked us in online for our onward flight so we didn't really miss having internet access.

All in all a wonderful stay at the Chambers. Yes it’s expensive but – and rarely for New York - you got what you paid for.

• Liked — the room itself
  • Disliked — no business centre for checking email setc
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rezandsoo
Charleston, SC
Reviewed 3 January 2007

My husband and I truly enjoyed our short stay at the Chambers Hotel on December 29, 2006. We were delighted by its location and the helpfulness of its young staff. We have never stayed in a boutique style hotel in NY. (We have stayed at the Palace, Waldorf, Benjamen, and the Omni.) We love to try new hotels when traveling to the city since there are so many great options available. We got a rate of $295 on quikbook.com. We were so happy when we arrived and saw the location of the hotel. It is in a superb place for shopping and dining. The bellman was great as was the front desk staff. We were checked in quickly and efficently. Our room was the only slight disappointment we faced. It was small, even by NY standards. The bathroom had a fabulous seemless glass shower with a rain shower head and Bumble & Bumble products. The vessel sink was lovely too. The main problem is the lack of counterspace. I had to place my hairbrush and toiletries on the floor. Also, since the door leading out of the bathroom is glass, when your traveling companion gets up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and turns on the light the whole room is then brightly lit as well. (Not fun at 3am!) The room itself contained 1 queen bed, a desk & chair, a small sitting chair and footstool, tv, and minibar. My husband kept saying that he felt like he was staying in a dorm room with its sheets of wood ceiling. The bed was comfortable though. The staff did make up for the room's shortcomings. The front desk directed us to great restaurants, gave good directions to stores, and held our bags for us since we had an early evening flight out. i just don't get the complaints about the service. I've found that if I just treat people with respect and friendly, I'm treated the same way in return. (Probably part of my southern heritage.)

• Liked — The attentiveness of the staff and the location of the hotel.
  • Disliked — The size of the room.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't get the cheapest room...upgrade for size!
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CharlestonNative
Florida/Virginia
Reviewed 30 December 2006

My husband and I traveled to New York City after the Christmas holidays as we were visiting family in the area and have always loved New York during the Christmas season. We decided to book our stay at the Chambers Hotel based on its location and reviews. The location is utterly fantastic - you can literally walk out the front door and experience some of the best that New York has to offer. The Chambers Hotel is a "boutique" hotel and the public areas look like a set design from "Sex in the City", even if the lobby is a bit on the small side. From the look of the Chambers, it should be a hot spot every night, but as we soon discovered, (and you will too if you continue reading) there are reasons why this is not the case.

In any event, the room we received on the 11th floor was the typical size for New York, but with some surprising design twists, including a rain forest type shower, which was delightful. The big no, no's were the service, unfortunately. The highlight of our "service experience" was the greeting from our Bellman Joseph, who seemed to have his act together moreso than any of the other hotel employees we encountered during our stay. Joseph sincerely tried, and succeeded, in making us feel welcome, but he was the exception and not the rule. The front desk arranged for a dinner reservation for us at a local Italian restaurant within walking distance of the hotel, but what they neglected to tell us was that there were two Italian restaurants with the exact same street address. Yes, of course we went to the wrong restaurant who (of course) acted like they had our reservation the whole time. The dinner was less than memorable. When we returned to the hotel, we told the front desk about our experience. Then, after a less than welcoming greeting and cocktail in the lounge (the bar and lounge were another service fiasco), we were eventually told by the front desk staff that it was our mistake by going to the "wrong" restaurant. The front desk staff handled it badly and couldn't have cared less if my husband was embarrassed. To channel "Pretty Woman" -" big mistake, huge", lol. Instead of trying to ammend the situation by oh, I don't know, even offering us a round of drinks on the house, the front desk staff laughed. That's right - laughed. Downright snickered. I used to be in the hotel business many years ago as a concierge and travel quite exstensively to this day, and believe me, there is too much competition in the hotel business for this type of "service", let alone at a boutique hotel which supposedly prides itself on it's personable attention to detail. As far as the Chambers Hotel is concerned, until they make changes in their staff and their training, as they say in New York -"fa'get about it"!!

• Liked — Location and design of the hotel
  • Disliked — service and professionalism of the staff
  • Tips/Secrets — great location, aesthetically pleasing, but don't expect much personal consideration
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank fltravelwriter
los angeles
Reviewed 5 December 2006

My best friend and I recently stayed at the Chambers for four nights, five days. The location of this property is AMAZING. We stayed in room 63 which had a huge huge terrace. Room was normal NY size- very modern and minimalist room. The money is spent in the lobby, bar, restaurant, etc. Amenities at this hotel are really nice- bumble and bumble hair products, chocolates by your bed, unlimited Fiji Water whenever you wanted it, great mini bar and the most incredible shower I have ever been in.
I should preface by saying normally we stay at Four Seasons and we booked this trip relatively last minute. However, the Four Seasons was $900 a night and this was $500 a night ( high season).
The front desk / concierge service is sooo bad here. The communication is horrible and I dont think they have had any formal training. In addition, I kept calling my friend the concierge at the Four Seasons to make all of our dinner reservations, because the concierge at the Chambers could not get us in anywhere. In addition to that , the booking of this property, checking in, receiving packages, messages was sloppy. I will say the housekeeping staff was excellent and the food was very good- although room service waitstaff showed up to our room with two burgers and two drinks and then brought one place setting and asked " Oh its two people?"
Overall, an ok experience.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service/ staff
  • Tips/Secrets — this is a four star hotel- not five star
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with friends
3 Thank micheleecraig
chicago
Reviewed 28 November 2006

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon. While this hotel is quite expensive, it was well worth the splurge. It was complete luxury the entire time. The staff is fantastic, the location is perfect, and the shower is AMAZING. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 31 October 2006

We stayed in the Chambers Hotel 4 nights in October 2006. The day we arrived (unfortunately quite late), it was very cold in New York (5 degree C) and so was the room. Apparently, the heating was not working and only after several phone calls we were allowed to change the room (although all previous calls had been answered with "we are fully booked"). On top of that, the day was my birthday and my fiancée had prebooked a surprise to be in the room on arrival. Despite the fact that she even had the name of the person she spoke to, the "surprise" never arrived.

The rooms of Hotel Chambers are very small and ours was particularly noisy and dark, but the location is great, just off 5th Avenue. However, the staff seems to be fairly disinterested in their guests (every time we arrived by taxi, the same doorman asked if we were checking in!). I find the hotel definitely overpriced. Next time I am in NYC, I will choose a known hotel brand.

• Liked — Design
  • Disliked — Noise, size of room, staff
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple