“Highly recommended, the best in the Big Apple”

Crosby Street Hotel
Ranked #5 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Having stayed in many different hotels in NY from the St Regis, the Giraffe, to the Elysee and many others, this would have to be my favourite hotel in NY city. For one thing everything works!!! No blocked toilets, wonderful housekeeping, spotlessly clean rooms, lovely gesture of a bottle of water at turn down. Beautifully eclectically decorated rooms and common areas. Free wifi for all and any devices! The best breakfast ever!!
I stayed here for 4 nights with my husband, and it was so good, I have booked a special weekend for my daughter (who is moving to NY) and myself as a treat.
The service was faultless, wonderful concierge Chris who had good restaurant advice, helpful on laundry service and directions, everything we asked was no trouble. And you didn't have to wait in a queue at the concierge desk. This is a small intimate hotel, and you pay for the luxury you get, as well as the special ambiance.
The position of the hotel was perfect for us, very close to the subway to take you uptown, when you walk out of the hotel you are in the thick of Soho shopping a block away - again just perfect - as it wasn't in the high rise jungle of mid town. With Balthazar just a few steps away!
The hotel isn't cheap, but I really feel it is value for money - it is a truly special experience. And to top it off, everyone who works there looks happy!

Room Tip: Any room is a good room.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank freddiefrog

Reviewed 14 June 2011

I've travelled to over 60 countries and I have to rank this hotel at the top of the list. It is quite expensive but you get what you pay for and this place delivers. Everything is new, modern, trendy. Highly recommended to anyone wanting to impress his/her significant other.

The location is really difficult to beat if you like shopping. Subway access is also easy. I've stayed in several higher end hotels in NYC and this is my favorite.

The breakfast is the best I have ever had. . .seriously its awesome and not to be missed.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank JTFBrussels
Reviewed 12 June 2011

My husband took me here for my birthday, knowing how much I love New York Cool. The Crosby Street Hotel fit the bill perfectly. From the minute you pull up to the gorgeous front on quiet Crosby Street, with it's mod glass canopy, you feel like you've "arrived". The lobby is striking for its hip, but humorous artwork. Lots of it focuses on dogs, which hotelier Kit Kemp is big on. In fact, the artwork makes you feel like you're a houseguest at a friend's cool place in the City. Many pieces have personal notes to Ms. Kemp, adding to the feel that you are in a private home.

Discovering the public areas of the hotel was a joy. Each room was so delightful, from the drawing room to the outdoor bar area to the downstairs private party rooms. I could not get enough.

Our room was gorgeous, with it's floor to ceiling windows and wide, cushioned low window seat. The upholstered headboard was stunningly done in a tufted green and fuschia orchid print. The lime green, fuschia color scheme was carried through in the comfortable arm chairs and bench at the foot of the bed. The bathroom was a vision in cool grey marble. (And Ms. Kemp gets kudos for equipping her rooms with a 7x magnification mirror for flawless makeup application on us over-40 women who can't see close up as well as we used to!) The plush robes were a delight to slip on.

Oh, one of the true treats was the turndown service...instead of the tired old chocolates, we got a heavenly small cannister of bed-linen spray. The scent was very light, but so soothing and wonderful on the nose when you slid between the crisp sheets.

I cannot wait to get back to this hotel with my husband again, but also with my girlfriends. You feel beautiful just being in this stunning space.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Burbanista
Reviewed 11 June 2011

very good room, nice restaurant and drawing room. Service is average - could be better at the reception, but concierge really nice and helpful. A bit expensive still for what it offers.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank jetssc
Reviewed 8 June 2011

SUPERB IN EVERY WAY! Crosby Street is our new favorite hotel in NYC. Brand new; absolutely gorgeous, chic, funky decor; top-notch friendly service; well-located on a quiet street in the middle of Soho.

Owned and operated by London's premier Firmdale Hotels group (ever heard of the fab Number Sixteen???), Crosby Street is their first outpost in the United States. We were told that a second New York hotel is due to open in midtown later this year.

We had one of the premier, corner rooms and were delighted. Good-sized by NYC standards, sparkling clean, floor to ceiling windows, finest quality furnishings and hardware - all from the U.K. Even the smallest touches were appreciated: padded hangers, bathrobes, heated towel rack, and a shoe horn! The bathroom and shower were to die for. When was the last time you had good water pressure from a shower head in a hotel!

Public spaces were awe-inspiring and hats off to the decorator. Feng shui to the max. If you stay here, make sure to get downstairs to see the film screening theater, function rooms, and bar. I'd have a meeting in that conference room any day.

Every member of the staff was lovely, and we were treated with warmth and respect from the moment we arrived. They are genuinely service-oriented without a hint of snootiness. No faux sycophancy here. They went out of their way to be helpful, including getting us out of a restaurant snafu on a Saturday night (thanks again, George!).

Coincidentally, a few days after our return to Boston, we noticed that the weekend Financial Times had a feature about hip NYC boutique hotels. A full two-spread photo of Crosby Street's art gallery, um lobby. Well deserved, and wow did we feel on the cutting edge.

The only gripe over our two-day stay had to do with the bar within the hotel's restaurant. Living in New England and frequenting Boston and New York, we are more than familiar with high prices and rarely blink an eye. BUT -- $18.00 for a cocktail is simply over the top. We each had one drink and a tiny bowl of peanuts and the tab plus tip came to $50.00!!! As good as the ambience and drinks were, it felt like a rip-off and we would not visit the bar again. Our recommendation? Lower the prices to within striking range and attract more customers.

That being said, we adore the hotel and can't wait for an excuse to go back.

Room Tip: Corner room on an upper floor if you can afford it
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SusanEK
Reviewed 7 June 2011

I can not recommend this hotel highly enough. The decor is genious. The quality of the furnishings and art could not be better. The full wall loft windows gave a wonderful sense of space to the room with wonderful day light, yet two kinds of window coverings for privacy or darkness. The bathroom was perfectly set up for funtion which I appreciated. I was impressed with what lengths the door men had to go through to get me cabs each time. They had to hail them from Spring Street since the cabs dont travel down Crosby, it being a quiet side street. The only strange thing was my check in. I was only handed a key and had the elevator pointed to. No assistance to get my bags to my room or show me how things worked. In addition, it appeared I was given some other persons room as another name appeared on the welcome letter. Made me feel like I got a room that was rejected by the individual for some reason or other. I ended up loving my room though, so did not think anything of it after getting settled. My breakfast was delivered exactly at the time requested each morning and presented so lovely besides being delicious. I also enjoyed having brunch for Mother's Day and evening coctails in the courtyard. I am really looking forward to returning often. Next time I wiil be sure to reserve the top floor rate. It is worth the price to secure the higher floor and not chance missing out on the best view.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Garrents
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Couldn't say enough good things about the Crosby Street Hotel. The staff was attentive. Breakfast was delicious and the rooms spacious. The feature that I loved the most was that every room had a floor to ceiling window. The shower was the best I ever had anywhere in the world or even my own home. We had 3 people in the room. 1 king size bed plus a sleeper sofa. We all fit beautifully. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family