“Fabulous Hotel”

Ranked #5 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Melbourne, Australia
“Fabulous Hotel”
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I recently stayed in this hotel with my husband. When we arrived, we were told that we had been upgraded to a top floor delux room. The room was stunning with great views over SOHO. I adored the decor because it was different from the generic decor of so many chain hotels and because it was floral and I am a bit of a girly girl. I also liked the dog themed art in the lifts!

The bathroom was lovely. There was no bath but the bathroom was a good size and the shower was one of the best I have ever been in! The towels were nice and fluffy, there were plenty of them and they were replaced very regularly. The little amenities in the bathroom were great too. There was a little hair elastic in the pouch with the shower cap, which was a great touch for ladies with long hair.

The location is fantastic for shopping and restaurants and I would definitely stay here again.

The little touches such as the relaxing pillow spray that comes with the turndown service and the box of pencils that come with a note from the manager are all really cute and make you feel welcome.

I think the service in the restaurant is one area that could improve slightly. I had porridge on the two mornings I was there. It was excellent and there was a choice of small or large oats and a choice of whether you wanted it cooked with water or milk. The first day I received brown sugar in a little dish and no fruit salad (that was meant to come with it). The next day I received the fruit but was give raw sugar. I received a blank look from the waiter when I asked for brown sugar. It came eventually but apparently it isn't a popular request, even though I received it the day before without having to ask. This is a very minor area that could be looked into in an otherwise stunning hotel experience. All other service was impecable.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Arabic first
London England
Reviewed 4 November 2012

As may be gathered from the title we stayed in the hotel before, during and even slightly after the hurricame. The decor in the hotel meets its billing and may not be to everyone taste but it fulfils the ronseal test in doing what it says on the tin. we stayed on both the 10th floor facing west and 11th floor facing east. The room on the 10th had inadequate closet facilites so we asked tobe moved, may be the booking people should not have put us in the room in the first palce but they rectified this as soon as they could. in our opinion the high rooms do provide a good view of downtown Manhattan and the view to the east is more interesting. Not all the rooms are the same size ( or have enough closet space ) so check this when making a booking. we did not make much use of the dinning facilties, when we did it was excellent and service ( dispite the 14th st sub station explosion) excellent. The bar is intergated into the dinning room, may sound odd but it works and creates a great atmosphere. We were required though not forced to relocate with the prospect of no power for several days. (4 as it turned out). The management staff were terrific, keeping both their cool and sense of humour in trying circumstances. Jakob, Freddie and Adam should all get speical mentions, as well as the guy who went to the pay phones with quarters to find hotels with rooms, ( its what hapapens when there is no power, no internet and no mobile relay stations). Vinny, the hotel driver, is out of a hollywood movie and should be treasured

Room Tip: High floors and face east
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Marmion
Sydney
Reviewed 4 November 2012

I was travelling with my Mum who is a travel agent, so we were given the most beautiful suite I have ever seen (the lounge dining room was bigger than my one at home!). Everything about this hotel screams perfection - the decor, the art, the location, the lounge bar with 24 hour butler, the courtyard, the restaurant, the cinema with Sunday screenings. And when you walk out the door of this wonderland you are in the middle of Soho, with the best restaurants, cafes and shopping at your doorstep. What more could a girl want. One proviso, some men may be put off by some of the decor - make sure you request a room with no pink if you feel pink cushions in the room might bother you.

Room Tip: We saw a number of rooms and they all looked beautiful.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 29 October 2012

I was drawn to this hotel by it's location in Soho, the pictures of the cool, quirky artwork and bright room and the real thing did not disappoint! The hotel is tucked away on a cobblestone street in Soho and is steps away from lots of great shopping and restaurants in Soho, Nolita and not far from the East Village. I was pleasantly surprised that we received an upgraded room and I loved it!! The room was very bright with a wall of windows and was furnished beautifully with unique, cheery, high-end fabrics. My husband found the bed a little hard, but I was happy to have fluffy feather pillows and high quality sheets. The bathroom was a good size with a marble shower and had Miller Harris bath products. The hotel staff was unobtrusive but very helpful if needed. There is a cozy, beautiful library with an honor bar and nooks to relax in as well as a lovely garden to hang out and have a drink. I found the hotel to be a comfortable, classy oasis away from the honking horns and crowds and can't wait to stay there again.

1 Thank bonnevie100
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I have stayed at 2 Kit Kemp hotels in London, and this New York hotel was just as wonderful. The staff made us feel special and pampered from the beginning. The rooms were comfortable, like new, spotless, and decorated to perfection. No attention to detail was missed. The feeling was casual and artsy, yet very sophisticated. We enjoyed cocktails in the lively bar as well as in the drawing room with honor bar. We ordered room service for breakfast, and it was excellent. The concierge was super helpful, getting us theatre tickets and restaurant reservations. We loved the NOLITA location on a quiet street, one block from busy Broadway. What a great funky neighborhood! We enjoyed shopping in the designer boutiques of nearby SOHO and eating at outdoor cafes. It was so nice to be away from the masses of midtown hotels. We would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a deluxe room with views of Crosby Street and wonderful big windows.
new york city
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Excellent hotel but make sure to request a pet-free room if you are allergic to dogs or cats. This is a very pet-friendly hotel but my room had a strong odor of dog pee in the bedroom. Can't fault the hotel on anything else.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank Pet-free T
London
Reviewed 18 October 2012

New York is busy, brash and crazy. That's why people go there. This hotel is tranquil, calm and delightful. Excellent service, wonderful decor and classy ambience. If you want to stay outside of the madness and mayhem in Time Square and other surroundings then come here, with excellent other shopping and restaurants close by in the SoHo area.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business