“charming, eclectic, perfect location”

Crosby Street Hotel
Ranked #5 of 467 Hotels in New York City
stockton on tees
“charming, eclectic, perfect location”
Reviewed 13 June 2010

We have just returned fron a family celebration in NY, which ranged in ages fro 6 - 82!. The Crosby hotel was perfect, the staff were friendly and very helpful, every need was catered for, even milk and cookies for the youngsters. The rooms are fabulous...the type that want to make you decorate when you go home!!! Beds are the most comfortable I have slept in. The location is perfect, quiet, trendy and right where you want to be! Overall if we were ever lucky enough to return to NY, this hotel would be first on our list.

Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank lovemyhols68

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Arabic first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 30 May 2010

Overall: Posh, terrific design, high comfort, friendly service but could be improved.

We stayed at the Crosby Street Hotel for one night in May on a holiday weekend. The hotel did not seem exceptionally crowded. Many New Yorkers (especially local Soho residents) tend to leave town on the weekends, especially holiday weekends, so there were mainly tourists and out-of-towners around Soho and in The Crosby Bar. We came for a night away / special event though we typically travel for business. This hotel clearly strikes me as leisure and trend oriented unless your business is in arts, culture, film, media, etc.

ACCOMMODATION
Overall: Excellent. We stayed on the 7th floor with views overlooking Crosby Street. The lead-pane look alike window is spectacular--one whole wall of the room, floor to ceiling. The window makes the room. Even though the design elements are not necessarily what I'd pick for my home, they are wonderfully done. Elegant without being stuffy, comfortable but also a bit witty. Heavy drapes, window seat cushions, comfortable chairs, superbly designed closet, solid cabinets and draws, superb fabric-covered walls. The bed was fabulously comfortable and the linens (in the bath as well) were excellent: Frette. Ample and well-placed outlets (rare in many hotels). The bathroom was floor to ceiling marble with high-quality hardware and a heated towel rack. The room was large by New York standards and feels much larger because of the window. And just excellent quality all around. Con: The A/C unit is loud and seemingly impossible to control or adjust. This affected our sleep quality (as did the very loud banging from a neighbor in the middle of the night, and the street garbage truck, but that's not in the hotel's control).

DINING
We had dinner at The Crosby Bar (and have also had drinks there in the past) and drinks and lunch in the private outdoor courtyard. Again, great design in the restaurant/bard and outdoor courtyard. Comfortable, spacious, cleverly done. The food was quite good, particularly the appetizers and small plates (caprese salad, lamb tenderloin salad). Lovely, prompt and courteous service, though one of the waiters was young and a bit cocky and too casual (British public school boy?) The restaurant had the usual (for New York) ridiculously loud dance music on--preposterous, but certainly not unique to the hotel. We also ordered room service for breakfast, to arrive b/w 7:45-8:00AM, which arrived at 8:25AM.

LOCATION
Fantastic if you want to be downtown and in the thick of things. Right near terrific restaurants (from Savoy to Balthazar to Hampton Chutney to Raoul's) and plenty of street appeal. Crosby Street itself is one of the most charming streets in downtown Manhattan and is relatively quiet for that part of town. The curb appeal of the hotel is also quite high as it is set back from the street, though they could do more with the area out front (plantings, benches, etc.). There is a absolutely huge American flag hanging out front, which seemed out of place. The interior spaces of the hotel are fabulous design-wise and in terms of comfort. Bright and airy without being stark and cold.

SERVICE
They have to do better. Everyone was friendly and courteous, though the staff seemed to be as engaged in people watching as anything else and they were a bit too casual for the prices they are charging for rooms. As noted above, room service in the morning was delayed, though pre-ordered. Lovely person at check-in but forgot to note: a) that the rate we'd booked included breakfast (and didn't provide specifics on how this would work with substitutions, etc) and a late check out; and b) that we'd need to call down front to get wireless code once we got upstairs (though we asked about this). Small issues, to be sure, but again, the overall feeling we got was that the service wasn't quite what it should be for this hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bcc14
Luzern, Schweiz
Reviewed 25 May 2010

We spent 4 Nights at the Crosby Street Hotel and were totally Happy!

The Staff at the Reception and the Concierge Service is Great, Warm and really attentive. The Styling and decoration are just great!. Great Bathrooms, Great Beds. The Location is perfect, right off Broadway in a Calm Side Street.

We were even offered drinks on my Birthday, very nice!

The Only thing they Could improove is the Service at the Bar. It is mostly sluggish. It depends on the waiter, but there are few who serve you quickliy. I don't know if they are badly organized or poorly educated. But there is alway a lot of Staff standing around and still you have to wait a long time to be served and then to get your Drinks. For me, 1 Hour until you finish your Breakfast is too long, and i was not even on a Business trip.

Besides of that, everything is Perfect at Crosby Street hotel!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jhardegger
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 17 May 2010

I found it far more appealing than the other Soho hotels (Mercer, Soho Grand). The room is not large but the floor to ceiling window is an excellent design feature and fools you into thinking you are in a larger room. I applaud the use of colour and texture. The bed was amazing: firm without being hard. Same can be said of the bathroom. Quite small but incredibly well thought-out, from the way the door opens to the double sink to the ledge to put your toiletries on to the attractive fittings. The lounge reserved for hotel guests was wonderful as well.

The only thing I thought the hotel could improve on in the room was the luggage rack. How do hotels think they can get away with putting one flimsy folding metal/leather luggage stand in a room for 2 people? Crosby Street, you are a smartly designed hotel, surely you must be able to address this(?)

Unfortunately the staff is not quite as smart as the design. The keys they provided didn't work (they did fix this quickly), they were not able to provide (or really even understand the request for) a firm pillow, ie one that you don't sink into and suffocate. We waited 10 minutes and had to ask 3 separate people to bring our luggage down when we left. We asked to have a topsheet for the bed because we bake underneath a duvet. They did achieve this, but we had to ask for it each day for the next 3 days. On the plus side, the staff did seem genuinely friendly, with the exception of the comically bad waiter in the restaurant.

All in all it was a very comfortable stay

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EtherealKotuku
nyc
Reviewed 10 May 2010

stayed for a couple nights last week.probably for my money the best hotel in nyc.the Kemp family finally built this hotel from the ground up( check the artistic rendering of the construction on the website).
profuse use of jewel tone colours, deluxe furnishings, variety (no two floors ,or rooms are similar),outstandingly landscaped garden, Miller Harris toileteries ,dynamite housekeeping service.
the location is perfect, round the corner is Balthazar but the hotel is on a quiet street.
restaurant provides delicious food reasonably priced.
little touches( lavender spray at night for the pillows) I was greeted by a set of lipbalm containers as a gift)makes this hotel unique.The staff is expirienced( british transplants)
obviously trained at other Kemp hotels.
This is a welcome addition to the hotel scene(Andre Balzacs eat your heart out!).
expensive, lowest rate is weekend at 475$ but you get what you pay for.
I stay most weekends in nyc hotels and live close. Believe me i know hotels and hoteliering!!.
Concierge hooked me up for a hard to get sat resevation at the Box.
If i was to find fault, believe me this is hard- got a low floor room and could hear cars at night despite double glazed windows( very nice floor to ceiling ones by the way),was switched to a higher quieter floor at my request without a hitch).The Brits are a tad snooty at times( hey! its no longer great Britain!!), lack of door staff to greet and assist with my luggage,no one remembered my name(the Four Seasons Hotel staff are masters at that game)., reception staff dont stop what they are doing when you approach esp. when they are on the computer.enough of the quibbling.
This hotel fixed my flowers( bought at next door Dea and Deluca )by adding some of theirs to improve on it, nice touch.
every single detail has been thought of in the room design.Finally a hotel that you can actually read in bed.marble shower has grooved floor so you dont slip using the lovely shampoo they give you, refills no poblems!
wow! Kit ! what a lovely job!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank josephadi
Beirut
Reviewed 7 May 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Crosby a couple of months ago. We are in our late 30's, and have tried several hotels in NYC such as the Soho Grand (we hated it), or the 4 Seasons.
Yes, we've had our little dissapointment: we carried ourselfs our luggage from the cab to the hotel without any assistance, we requested a room at the highest possible floor, and got one at the 2nd floor, the suite is not a suite, but a large bedroom (according to NYC standards), and yes, it is expensive for a charm/hip Hotel.
However, the comfort, the cosyness, the ambiance, the decor, the location, and the kind service make it an amazing place to stay at.
Also, beware of the concierge... they are quite efficient, but when I requested tickets for the "Fuerza Bruta " show, they asked for 300$/piece. I purchased them on the internet for 45$...!!!
Like I say...despite all this...I'll stay again at the Crosby without any hesitation.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank toy B
Olten, Switzerland
Reviewed 29 April 2010

When I was looking for a hotel in the Soho area I came across to the Firmdale Hotels having a familiar ring from my recent research of hotels in London (we almost chose their “The Soho Hotel” for a stay in London as it enjoys an excellent reputation). Hence, I had a closer look to their Crosby Street Hotel opened half a year ago and I liked what I saw … We decided to give it a try for our family’s stay (couple with a teen) in NYC.
The Crosby Street Hotel is a middle-sized (88 rooms) design hotel in a quiet cobbled street in Soho. It is stylish without being too minimalist but appears warm and comfortable. All the rooms have impressing floor-to-ceiling warehouse style windows suiting perfectly to the Soho area. The junior suite we had was spacious (43 sqm) and tastefully decorated with top quality furniture and was going to a quiet courtyard. There was a very comfortable king size bed and a sofa bed for our son (unfortunately always bedded, I never saw the room with the sofa not made up as a bed …). The bathroom was large enough for the three of us, also beautifully designed, with two sinks, a nice shower and even a TV (but not with many channels working). We did like the room very much although there were some imperfections. For example the air-condition system turned off during night-time without our having a hand in the matter or the wifi did not work (even after we complained).
As far as the public areas were concerned there was a very hip bar/restaurant, a drawing room where you could have drinks when you were looking for peace and quiet or in case all the tables were taken in the bar and there was also a small fitness room. We did not eat in the restaurant except having breakfast four times and this was good (especially the egg dishes, the sweet dishes like waffles and pancakes did not suit us likewise). The service was sometimes rather slow but as we were not in a hurry we did not mind. Also we went to the bar after dinner but as it seemed to be a very popular place there was not always a table available for us but there was always a place in the mentioned drawing room where we were served our drinks. Staff in general were pleasant and helpful, again – as with the rooms - there were some imperfections. They were eager to help (a late check-out was granted without hesitation and with no additional costs) but occasionally something went wrong. For instance when my son and I were checking-in the room had not been ready yet so we had to wait in the bar. We did not mind but when my husband arrived more than half an hour later (he had to return our rental car) the person on the reception showed him to our room whereas my son and I were still waiting in the bar without being informed that the room was ready. One thing as far as the employees were concerned I have to point out: one of them was really extraordinary and that was Stephanie (host in the restaurant/bar). We chatted with her every now and then and one evening as my husband went to the bar on his own he mentioned to her in passing that we had happened to get engaged at this very day 22 years ago in New York (we are Swiss). The next evening when we went to the bar together Stephanie arranged that Champagne and strawberries were served to us to celebrate this anniversary and there was a card added with kind words (in German), what a wonderful touch!
Overall, the Crosby Street Hotel is a very good choice when staying in downtown NYC but it has to be said that as the rates are quite high compared to similar hotels not only a perfect infrastructure is needed (well done here) but also an immaculate service (not always the case).

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family