“Excellent breakfasts and great value”
Review of Austin's Cafe - CLOSED

Cuisines: American
Neighbourhood: Chelsea
Neighbourhood: Chelsea
Reviewed 23 November 2010

We were staying in a hotel close by and I had heard good things about Austin’s Café so we tried it out for breakfast one morning; we ended up going back another three times during our trip, which I think says it all when you consider how many other cafés there are in the neighbourhood to choose from. At first it looks like their breakfast menu mainly consists of egg-based meals but a closer look will show you there really are a lot more options than you originally think. Their food is great value, with French toast, pancakes and a whole variety of rolls, eggs, etc, for around $2.99 each. My husband declared their BLT the best he’s ever had and trust me that’s praise indeed. I tried a few different things (an egg and turkey roll, the French toast twice and the pancakes) and the food was consistently good, especially for the price. Their coffee was quite nice too, even for a Starbucks fiend like myself. I even liked their wallpaper! It would probably have been a great place to grab lunch too, although we were never in the area at the right time. They had a great range of pre-prepared wraps, sandwiches, salads, etc, as well as a salad bar where they’ll fill up a box for you with whatever you like. I would definitely recommend it and we would certainly go back ourselves if we were in the area again.

Reviewed 10 December 2009

They have a variety of choices for breakfast: bagles, breads, eggs, pancakes, fruit. If it's crowded, it may take some time for cooked dishes as they do not have a full gril but have a pananni grill and large hotplate to do the cooking. Prices were decent, $10ish for bagle, pepsi, omlett and coffee. The coffee was good, by the way. Nothing steller but a good deal for the money. We were there on a Sunday morning, when many of the food establishments were closed.