“Good hotel but then again it depends”

Hilton New York Fashion District
Ranked #188 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 25 November 2012

my experience with Hilton in Fashion District is really mixed on both good and bad, let me share what happened coming from an Asian.

1. I went over early before check in time, so i left my luggage with the hotel and went to woodsbury for shopping spree. I'm not used to the culture of tipping coming from where i am from (everything has service charges in the total bill) so i didnt tip.

When I arrive back from shopping with 1 luggage bag and 7 to 8 bags of clothes, the bellboy handed me my luggage bag and expect me to go up to the hotel room myself, because i didnt tip him earlier. Imagine this, 2 Big luggage bag (1 i bought from woodsbury), 1 backpack, and 7 - 8 bags of clothes. I cant even walk on a straight line, they just smile and walk off.

2. I was checked into a room that is at the end of row (not my preferred room as listed in my hhonours membership) and to make the thing worst, the room is facing the main road, I basically have to put my noise cancelling headphone on just to sleep.

3. I complained to the hotel, they manage to get me a new room, which is on level 7 facing the back , which is 500 times better.

4. Tipping, knowing that it's a culture there, i started to tip, and the service is much better, the bell boys was so efficient, taking my bags when i checked out, and getting me a cab and arranging my bags in the cab and making sure that they close my cab door. I just wish i know about this earlier.

so morale of the story is. start giving 2 dollar tip to the bellboys and make your life easier

Room Tip: Do not take a room at the end of the hallway (fire exit door is there, and the employees used it to...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Kennie_Wong
HiltonNYFashion, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton New York Fashion District, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2012

Thank you for this review and feedback on Hilton New York Fashion District. I regret to hear that the service you received on the first day did not meet your expectations. Our Staff often get compliments on how friendly and helpful they are so I apologize that the same quality service was not extended to you during your stay. I have passed on your comment to our Director of Front Office so that consistent, top-notch service is provided.
Please do not hesitate to contact me the next time you are planning a visit to New York City so that I may ensure a perfect stay, start to finish.Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton New York Fashion District during your visit to New York City and I hope for a chance to regain your confidence in us.

Guest Services Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,552)

Reviewed 25 November 2012

Good location for the west side of Manhattan. Quiet street. Staff was very welcoming. Rooms are new and bright, ample space for person and things. The hotel includes a good bar. Great hamburger. Overall a convenient and less expensive alternative to the usual New York tourist hotel.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank rhale53
Reviewed 22 November 2012

So I admittedly did not intend to stay here. I was stranded during Sandy while attempting to relocate from Chelsea (NYC) to Miami, Florida (the irony of moving to a hjurricane city, right?!). Nonetheless this hotel is excellent. It's new, and the rooms are small, but if you have business or pleasure in the area, it's darn well located. Not perfect for tourists as you will need a cab or subway to get to times sq etc. (not that I'd go there since I lived in NYC for 12 years), but if the CITY DOES HAVE POWER, you're very close (ie. walking distance) to Flatiron where there are lots of great restaurants and places to hang out. The staff is excellent. Very helpful and patient. And remember, this was literally during the superstorm! I'd highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Good rooms all around. This is much more of a "garden inn by Hilton" but the RARE BURGER a...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 November 2012

We had the best view of Manhattan! The employees were very nice and helpful! Especially a girl at the front desk named KATHY! She was so polite, professional, and patient with us. We asked for many different things and she always had a solution! I would definitely make sure she is given a gift for her excellent service.

Room Tip: Room 2205 has the best view of Manhattan/ Empire State building!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for awesome reviews about Hilton New York Fashion District! Our Staff often get compliments on how friendly and helpful they are so Kathy certainly delivered top notch service to you as well!
Again, thank you so much for choosing Hilton New York Fashion district and please let us know when you are planning to visit New York City again so we can ensure you to have another fantastic stay with us!
Have a good day!

Reviewed 21 November 2012

As a loyal Hilton member, this Hilton in particular was our choice for a weekend getaway in NYC. The location is perfect, you are only a few blocks from Madison Square garden and only a mile from the theaters on Broadway.
The room was spotless, not too small for a hotel in this district and the staff and concierge could not have been any better or more willing to answer questions or assist in any way possible.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2012

What a great experience we had at this hotel. I'd booked a room a month in advance knowing at the time that our overnight flight would bring us in super early. At the time of reservation I asked if we could get an early check-in. I followed up on the request each week and the morning that we arrived I very politely asked if we could get in early. The hotel was so accommodating, they called us while we were eating breakfast and gave us a beyond belief early check in. Everone from the concierge to the front desk employees gave us great suggestions, great directions and made our trip fantastic. The bed was very comfortable and the room was immaculate. We even had a room overlooking the street and it was so very quiet.
Will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for this wonderful response and feedback! We know you have many choices when staying in New York City so we thank you for choosing Hilton New York Fashion District. I will absolutely share your awesome comments with our team members. Please let me know the next time you are planning a visit to NYC so that I can ensure another perfect stay!

Reviewed 20 November 2012

The Hilton Fashion District is a brand new, boutique style hotel in Chelsea. It has a nice neighborhood feel, is close to the subway, good restaurants, without the tourist bustle of times square. Rooms were typically small for New York, but comfortable and well-appointed. Nice restaurant/bar in the lobby as well as a rooftop bar with amazing views!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple