“The BEST boutique Hotel in NYC”

The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York
Ranked #39 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Newport Beach, California
“The BEST boutique Hotel in NYC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2011

I stayed here for business for a week in the dead of winter in January and I am thoroughly impressed at their level of service and room amenities. I travel extensively for work and get tired of the big chains that treat me nothing more than like a number. Each staff member I came upon was more helpful than the previous. A friend met me in NY for a few nights with her 3 month old daughter and the hotel was well accommodating to the needs of an infant. They had a beautiful crib set in the room with beautiful amenities. As well, they helped us figure out a way to sterilize bottles by providing us an electric tea kettle and a large wine bucket so we did not have to go buy a bottle sterilizer. The room is beautifully appointed and one of the best features for business travelers is COMPLIMENTARY INTERNET!! I can also see myself vacationing here as the rooms are large and the closet space is spacious!! One of the best parts of my trip was dining at the hotel as they serve the BEST burgers in NYC...I had 3 in a time span of a week and I don't often have burgers! The bar was also a great place to entertain clients.

The hotel has a POOL!! Even though it is indoors, it is still a pool in their spa to get some laps in. Not many places in NYC with this great amenity.

The style of the hotel is classic chic without feeling minimalistic. It has an "old Hollywood" feel - we even joked it would not be unusual if Marilyn Monroe walked through the lobby.

All in all, I would say if you have a chance to experience a great hotel in a great location, don't miss out on The Chatwal! I have found a new home!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Platinumtraveler1970

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2011

I stayed at The Chatwal just one week after it joined the Starwood program. I had not heard of it, and to be candid, I probably would not have stayed there except for the new affiliation. It was really excellent, in so many ways. Above all was a genuine and consistent level of service among all of the staff I encountered. It was friendly and polite, yet not stiff or too formal. The decor is very well done, and the lobby bar and restaurant really do evoke the sensibilities of the art deco period. Room features and amenities were truly luxe, with many unique (or at least rare) high-end aspects. As I perused the reviews of others, I see that nearly everyone else likewise loved the hotel, and I am shocked that one aberrant review rated the hotel "terrible" and "a dump." While guests may disagree about minor points here, I can say convincingly (as someone who has spent over 1,000 nights in hotels) that no reasonable person could reach those conclusions. The Chatwal is a gem and a treat for those who seek genuinely excellent service and pampering beyond the norm.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank travelguru500
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2011

This is an amazing hotel. I am definitely staying there again. The location is literally a few steps away from Times Square and Broadway.

This is the perfect place who needs a very comfortable room to crash in between shopping trips, shows and restaurants.

My favorite part of the room was the bathroom! It had a heated Japanese toilet, a jacuzzi and a TV built into the mirrors!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Hanan82
Bryn Mawr, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2011

The Chatwal was the site of a girlfriends' getaway in early March, and it was an excellent choice. We wanted to be close to the theater district in order to be able to walk to the Broadway show we were seeing, and the Chatwal was perfect. It's a block or two away from the bustle of the area, so it's quiet but ideal for getting to theaters and 5th Avenue without having to bother with cabs. While the entryway is not prepossessing, the Art Deco interior with red, black and tan decor is sleek and beautiful. The lobby is lined with soft leather banquettes, the walls and handrails are suede or leather, and it feels more like a private club than a hotel. We were upgraded from a double-bedded room to a two-bedroom "suite" (really two King rooms connected by a common foyer) with an enormous furnished balcony and amazing bathrooms done all in sparkly deep brown marble with flat screen televisions built into the mirrored walls. All very high-tech. Even the toilets were remote-control with a whole menu of features (unfortunately, mine wasn't working except for the most basic function).

The service was simply outstanding. Everyone we encountered was warm and welcoming, and I've never had such fast service anywhere. We were offered free iPads, iPods and laptops, so we decided to call Room Service to get iPads. In less than five minutes a butler was at our door with two iPads that we kept for the duration of our stay. In the morning we called Room Service for coffee, and it arrived in two minutes -- barely enough time to put on a bathrobe!

One of the best things about this terrific hotel is the second-floor bar. It's big and beautiful, with large windows, red pendant lights shaped like the Empire State Building, and racks of hard-boiled eggs as complimentary bar food to cushion the excellent cocktails. We could have stayed there all evening! The Lamb's Club dining room on the first floor is also nice, but a little claustrophobic due to the lack of windows. Still, the breakfast there was the best one I've had in any hotel, with the added charm of a roaring fire burning in the huge fireplace (gas, but who cares?). All in all, we loved this hotel and would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank BrynMawrBK
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

I'm amazed by (and dubious about) these gushing 5-star reviews! The Chatwal is, by a healthy margin, the most annoying, badly designed, shockingly over-hyped hotel I've ever (briefly) patronised in NYC. Booked for 5 days, left after 2...

Where to begin?

The "suite" consisted of a poorly designed bedroom and an attached, near identical room where the bed had been folded up into the wall. Both rooms were gloomy, not helped by the light-sucking materials used throughout.

Design trumped both taste an practicality - which would have been tolerable had the design been tasteful and the furniture of good quality. Alas, ...

A vast, baffling, immovable radio control box fills one entire (tiny) bedside table. Power for you laptop is available... but only if you raise the lid of the ghastly (and already soiled) desk, which then dazzles you with halogen lights. The bathroom is unheated, and the shower cubicle is next to the window which, in New York in December, renders it the coldest spot this side of Alaska.

The bathroom sinks are a weird, stainless steel slot design and have no plug. The toilet is a Japanese marvel, and frankly the most entertaining point in the entire hotel. Even so, the one in the second bathroom was out of service (this is, let me repeat, a brand new hotel.)

The woman on reception was unable or unwilling to veer away from the pre-programmed and over-lengthy info-babble that third rate hotels drill into the heads of their reception staff.

After two days in this gloomy, unappealing, $1000 a night dump, we'd had enough. The Crosby Street hotel was an excellent alternative for the rest of out Manhattan stay.

I strongly suggest you avoid The Chatwal, and my hope is that it fails dismally and closes sooner rather than later - it certainly deserves to.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
13 Thank MacSasha
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2011

As a business owner who has the privilege of working with four and five star hotels and resorts for a living, I don't often get caught off guard by levels of service. That being said, I have to honestly admit that I've never experienced the level of hospitality that I did at The Chatwal--on every level. From the moment I walked in the door wearing street clothes, I was greeted like an old friend or family member. Each and every staff member i encountered looked me in the eye with a big smile, addressed me by name, and portrayed a genuine interest in making sure my experience was perfect. The room was beautiful, the food amazing, and attention to detail second to none. I would recommend this property to anyone looking to get what a true New York hotel experience should be. Well done! I look forward to coming back with my family in the summer.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank spatraveler73
Austin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2011

The Chatwal has to be the best value in the city. The only problem is that once word gets out, I will not be able to get a room in the future.

We travel to NYC several times a year and stay at various hotels. The nice ones are usually very pricey, cheaper ones are not very nice, and those in the best locations are usually noisy and overrated. The Chatwal is none of these! It is in an amazing location near theaters and great restaurants, is very reasonable, and is off of Times Square so it is not noisy.

The rooms were very clean and service was responsive and efficient. The hotel is relatively new so hopefully it will stay this way. The decor is art deco and you feel like you are stepping back into an era when hotels and staff actually welcomed you and wanted you there, not just wanted your money.

We reserved the base room and was upgraded. The rooms are small, but good size for a NYC room. We weren't there to hang out in the room anyway. The beds/pillows were comfortable, and the room had a small desk and chair. As indicated above, the hotel is on a side street off of Times square (maybe half a block). Because of this it is less travelled and fairly quiet (again, for NYC). The window in the room does open, which I like.

The restaurant, The Lambs Club, is fantastic. We did pre-theater and the service was quick, professional, and actually reasonably priced (for NYC). We had cocktails in the lobby bar as well as the main bar upstairs. Again, I actually felt wanted there. The cocktails were great and the service professional.

If you are in town for theater, this is the best place to stay, hands down. I cannot think of a way to improve the hotel. Highly recommend!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business