“Fantastic Honeymoon Stay”

The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York
Ranked #35 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 6 July 2011

Took me weeks finding the perfect Hotel for my Honeymoon stay in NYC and we were both very pleased with the Chatwal. Very glad that I chose this hotel over the similar priced chains. Would highly-recommend and well worth a splurge

I loved - High-quality rooms, brilliant location, courteous and very-helpful staff, great tasting breakfast and the charm that boutique hotels carry

Didn't like - Their hi-tech toilet

Room Tip: Theatre Room is Awesome
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York

Reviewed 2 July 2011

My husband and I live 20 miles north of Manhattan and had tickets to a show, so we decided to treat ourselves and spend the night in the city. After reading the trip advisor reviews, we chose The Chatwal and it was AMAZING! The front desk staff were superb. We had booked a standard king room and they wanted to give us a free upgrade to a junior suite. We were running late and the suite wasn't quite ready so I thanked them, but asked if we could have another room. They gave us a deluxe king - still an upgrade - and after we went up and quickly changed for dinner and our show, we came down and offered to get our stuff from our room and transfer it to the junior suite which was now ready - they really worked hard to offer the best service possible! We declined as the room we had was absolutely beautiful and perfect for our one night stay. If we had been staying longer, we probably would have taken them up on the offer! The room was gorgeous and modern with tons of amenities including a backgammon set. The bathroom was fantastic. Everything was immaculately clean.

We ate dinner and breakfast at the hotel restaurant, The Lamb's Club, and both meals were superb. There was a little mix up with our valet parking - it was the garage's fault, not the hotel's - so the bell captain walked us half a block to the garage to get our car and then ran back to get us some bottled water. We didn't ask for the water, he just did that on his own. It was these simple, thoughtful gestures that just make the service at the hotel superb.

I highly recommend this hotel! If you are looking for an AMAZING hotel in the theater district/Times Square vicinity, the Chatwal is it!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marthasor
Reviewed 2 July 2011

If your lucky, you will get Ally as your bellman. He made our stay!
Great place with a lot of restaurant and bar options right outside the entrance without going into time square.
Don't be fooled by their term "upgrade" to a room in the rear of the hotel where it is nice and quiet. That actually means you will be looking at a brick wall instead of a street view on the other side.
This hotel is a must stay.

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank DJinSC001
Reviewed 2 July 2011

Wow, other reviewers must have been visiting hotel nirvana when they stayed here.

Yes, this was a really nice and extremely quiet, well located hotel.

Was it the finest hotel I have ever stayed in? No. It was plush and cozy, but it also was very dark and had some flaws...

1. The "pool" that is advertised is truly an overblown bathtub.

2. My husband is a Fox news junkie (I know, I know...I still love him though) and he could not watch it on our t.v. in the room...only in the bathroom---quite nice for me, but highly irritating for him. He contacted the hotel and they sent up numerous maintenance guys...two of whom must have thought the room was empty and came barging in without knocking!

3. The concierge was not too friendly and only recommended the typical tourist haunts.

4. An hour before our check out we were contacted via phone by the butler who asked us if we had any last minute needs before check out. Although this was very nice, we were not aware we even had a butler until that last minute call. This was such an obvious ploy by her...she was sniffing around for a tip! That was very transparent.

5. Upon check in and almost every other time we entered the hotel, the doorman was nowhere to be found. We lugged up our suitcases ourselves. At night we walked into the hotel without anybody checking who we were. I understand that one needs a key to work the elevator, but still this hotel is right off of Times Square.

6. Our views (from our two rooms) were dark and looked into a bleak alley. Personally, I didn't mind because we were in the city...but my husband was disappointed and felt the lack of natural daylight was depressing. I guess if that matters to you then you should request a 44th street view.

On the positive side...

1. The two rooms we had were spacious and lovely.
2. The bedding was clean and comfy
3. The staff tried very hard to be accommodating and I could tell that they were really proud to be working there.
4. It was probably the quietest and most private hotel I have ever stayed in. I probably saw 4 other guests during my entire 3 day stay...VERY VERY PRIVATE!!!! I bet celebs LOVE staying here for that reason alone...tiny lobby to walk through and probably only 10 or so rooms per floor.

So, do I recommend this hotel? Absolutely! Was it "Perfect"? Absolutely not. Would I stay again? Possibly, depending on rates and future reviews by other Trip
Advisor members.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank lindz3
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Just stayed at my new favorite hotel for 5 days June 16. I like other reviewers am a Starwood devotee and was anxious to check out this property. There are some very eloquent reviews here and let me say I agree with all of them. Our five days were perfect. Every member of the staff was warm and attentive. The butler, Brendon was terrific and helped to make sure the suit with the stain was cleaned and ready for the big meeting
From the perfect location, to subtle decor, wonderful spa and fabulous restaurant it was all perfect. True luxury....can't wait to go back

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Krmrn55
Reviewed 26 June 2011

I was there for a week with my mum for a holiday from Greece. This is one of the best five star hotels I have ever stayed. Our butler, Brandon, was always helpful and he was able to accommodate all the requests we had. Excellent location, just a minute away from the Times Square, yet the rooms were very quiet. All hotel staff made our stay a memorable one. Superb breakfast as well. Most def next time I go back to NYC, I will book the same hotel. Glam yet reasonably priced!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank GEORGIOS44
Reviewed 25 June 2011

I recently stayed at The Chatwal for five nights as a celebration for my partner’s birthday. Before booking I was a little concerned about the hotel’s proximity to the tourist maelstrom of Time Square but having read reviews decided it’s central location was worth the gamble… All my apprehension was immediately extinguished upon arrival; with The Chatwal a gloriously refined oasis of calm which seemed totally removed from the chaos of Manhattan. Whilst definitely close to Time Square, you would be hard pushed to know it was even there; with The Chatwal positioned on a quiet side street with little passing traffic. Within the hotel, the owners have successfully combined classic art nouveau styling with a contemporary feel which gives a sense of quality without becoming stuffy.

On arrival the desk staff were exceptionally helpful and welcoming – chatting at length about our stay, offering recommendations on things to do and see whilst checking us in quickly and efficiently. We stayed in a Theatre Room which was the perfect size and beautifully appointed. From the comfy bed through to the stunning bathroom, everything was exceptional and housekeeping ensured we had fresh water / turndown service etc. whenever it was needed.

Beyond the room, we spent time in the bar and had dinner in the The Lambs Club restaurant both of which were classic New York with a modern twist and highly recommended. The concierge gave us great suggestions for local breakfasts and the proximity to Central Park / Hell’s Kitchen / 5th Avenue / Subway etc. meant we were able to get around the city, eat at diverse restaurants and sightsee with ease.

There is a great deal more I could say about The Chatwal, but the digested read is a wonderful hotel which I will definitely return to and would recommend to anyone. Even after our stay the service was amazing (I left my sunglasses and they had them sent by Fed-Ex back to the UK) and it forms a central crux to our wonderful memories of a glorious NYC stay.

The best hotel I have ever stayed at in New York. Don’t hesitate in booking; you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple