“Best in New York”

The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York
Ranked #35 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Making one or two day trips to New York from the west coast can be tiring, so the hotel selection makes a huge difference. I was in New York for less than 36 hours and The Chatwal made my trip so much more comfortable.

First, I arrived hours before check-in. I did not make arrangements for early check-in and it was just overall poor planning on my part. The staff at the Chatwal got my wife and I into our room hours before check-in, so I could shower and get prepared for an afternoon meeting. Second, they took my suit from me in the lobby and had it pressed and ready to go in my room, giving me plenty of time to get ready for my meeting.

I did not plan well for this arrival at all. My fault. But, the staff at The Chatwal did everything they could to make my day seamless and easy.

Also, the hotel itself is really nice. It feels really new and really clean. The rooms are big, well decorated and comfortable.

No need to stay at any of the dated usual suspects like the Ritz Carlton, St. Regis or Penninsula. Stay at The Chatwal, its the best in New York.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank MarkSumner
There are newer reviews for The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York

Reviewed 18 July 2011

We booked a suite upgrade using spg points, arrived at four, and were treated to a very nice cocktail when our room was not quite ready. Our one bedroom suite was really two interconnecting rooms with the Murphy bed folded up in the second room, which, after reading the reviews left me feeling a bit let down ( no terrace, big bathtubs etc), but hey, it was a points upgrade so what the heck?

At check in there was the usual Starwood platinum theater of "what newspaper would you prefer in the morning?". Oddly, never did get a newspaper without asking at the front desk. And then when the Sunday Times was all consumed, the front desk further asked our room number and said they would find and deliver one. Alas, no NYT.

Enough of any criticism. But at the rates The Chatwal commands, I trust management raeds thses review and puts them to constructive use.

Staff were uniformly friendly and very helpful. Ali, our room butler was great explaining the very high tech room controls and hotel features. I am not sure what else a room butler does for a guest, but Ali was both enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the property. Ali clearly prides himself on his workplace and the hotel.

Nicholas Mullen, the concierge, was both accomplished and excellent. He obtained very difficult to obtain restaurant reservations at Le Bernardin for a civilized hour, and was knowledgeable and very professional.

The Lambs Club is a good restaurant, with a nice wine list, excellent service, and good menu. For prix theater, it was a great choice. Breakfast was similarly well done, at reasonable, for this property, prices.

The Kashwere Spa is small aka intimate with three treatment rooms, but the staff were excellent, the treatments superlative, and while expensive, we received great value.

The hotel architecture is appealing, with the subtext of Stanford White and Thierry Despont interiors. Your room will compare favorably to the very best in terms of decor' and technology. We have enjoyed the Four Seasons, various Affinia proprerties, and others.

Matching the boutique nature with Starwood benefits means that this hotel will likely do well. Thank you to Ali, Mr. Mullen, the spa staff, various bar tenders (mixologists), housekeeping et al. We enjoyed our stay. Mrs. Rowingman thought it was a wonderful spot, and isn't that what counts? Please read my criticisms as "the little stuff". But at the room rates commanded by the Chatwal, it is always the little stuff isn't it? I look forward to our next stay.

Room Tip: I wish I knew. My suite was really two adjoining rooms with a folded up Murphy bed in the second ro...
Reviewed 18 July 2011

This was between my wife and I our 5th stay at The Chatwal, and every single time they exceed our expectations and experiences of the previous visit. The professionalism of the Limo arranged to meet us a the airport, the greeting and private escort to the room make a check in procedure that is unparalleled in the Hotel industry, the suite couldn't be more perfect. Everything you could wish for is provided for you on a grand scale. I cannot say enough good things about this property to make your stay in NYC a relaxing and comfortable experience. If there is anything additional you need no matter how small or how big the concierge will be able to arrange it prior to your arrival or supply it while visiting. Your dreams will be fulfilled!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 July 2011

Been to hundreds of hotels and this one is definitely top shelf. Can't say enough. Service, attitude, location, ambiance, food and drink. No detail is overlooked.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 July 2011

I had my parents and another guest visiting me (I live in NYC) and they stayed at the Chatwal. They usually stay at the St. Regis but I had them at the Chatwal for this trip and they will be staying at the Chatwal from now on. The rooms are beautiful. Stunning really. The service is also above the quality you find at the best hotels in the world. It is really more comparable to the butler services you would find at private villa's and resorts. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank HarrisonH
Reviewed 12 July 2011

What an amazing experience, after being in New York 5 times before, this time was our most favorite.....it was completed by the great hotel accommodation, top class bathroom, amazing friendly staff, scrumptious food in the restaurant and extremely helpful with a wealth of knowledge from the conceige. Definitely somewhere to return SOON.

Room Tip: we loved being on 44th street, to open the window and feel the energy every morning was amazing
Reviewed 12 July 2011

The hotel was in an excellent location, a 30 seconds walk to Times Square, closes to metro station and all the shows.

The building itself is old in keeping with traditional architecture but inside it kitted out with modern design and convenientes.

The room was very spacious with a superb bathroom which included TV. The room was perfectly clean and comportable.

The in-room service was perfect and breakfast was delicious. I would highly recommend it and definitely go back.