“Like Walking Into a Black & White Movie Set”

The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York
Ranked #46 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Orange County, CA
“Like Walking Into a Black & White Movie Set”
Reviewed 17 December 2011

This hotel is really amazing! I felt like I was walking into an old black and white Hollywood movie set. It's small and hidden right off of the noise of Broadway. The building was originally designed by Gilded Age Architect and Designer Stanford White, the scandalous architect of the original Madison Square Gardens (and was also famously shot to death by the husband of one his lovers on its roof top theater) so it's steeped in some fun history. The overall theme of the hotel is art deco and it's completely perfect. The furniture has a luggage inspired feel, the bedding is masculine and streamlined and the rooms are very large by NYC standards. The bathroom was better than any I've seen in NYC. It had a heated toilet seat, spa tub and 12" rain shower head. The room is controlled via the phone so you can adjust your lighting, room temperature and drapes with a push of the button on the phone. The hotel also lends out ipads and ipods for free. The art deco bar on the second floor is really swanky. I would skip breakfast at the Lamb's club. They seemed to be going for something unique, which I appreciate, but the unique ingredients were utilized at the expense of taste.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
clarence, NY
Reviewed 15 December 2011

My brother and I needed a one night stay in New York in the middle of the hectic Christmas shopping season. I used my Starwood points for a hotel that I had never heard of in NYC. I typically like to stay at a bigger name hotel on the upper east side or just off fifth avenue. The hotel was part of Starwood's luxury collection and has only been open for 15 months. For one night...it sounded great. Well is was more than that. It is tucked away on 44th street and sixth avenue. It is a small boutique hotel, but it does have a lobby bar that was packed that night and a restaurant that was always bustling.

You can't beat a hotel that is new. The rooms did not disappoint. Perfectly appointed with great beds and high tech features for controlling the lights, TV, etc. But the best part is the bathroom. Wow. There is not much space on the sink for makeup or even a place to put your toiletry bag, but you will overlook that. The shower is amazing. There is a TV built into the mirror, which is great when you are getting ready.

The staff was very helpful and extremely nice.

I loved being a few blocks from Rockefeller Center and fifth avenue. It is also a great location if you like to go downtown. A cab ride to SOHO is much quicker than staying on the upper east side. For a quick stay in NYC.....we were extremely satisfied with the hotel and the location.

Room Tip: It is a boutique hotel. Our view was another building....terrible. Perhaps ask for a better view...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank lkfrey
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 10 December 2011

Not your typical Starwood property, this converted private club offers a clubby feel, terrific staff, and high end amenities. In addition, it has Lambs Club, a wonderful restaurant and bar with great food and, as with the hotel, staff who take it to another level.

My only quibble is the lack of a good gym.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Edenton, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 November 2011

For my daughters 21st Birthday my wife and I booked a room on priceline but when we got there they did not have any more rooms with two double beds. The manager went the extra mile by upgrading us to a penthouse suite for a nominal fee. It was a magnificent room with fabulous amenities! Brandon the butler took great care to make our stay incredible. Needless to say my daughter had an awesome birthday! All the staff knew our name and we hated to leave. We have stayed in great locations around the world from the Burj al Arab to the Ritz and this hotel is in that league. Many thanks to the Chatwal Hotel staff!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Spent two nights over Thanksgiving. As an SPG Platinum member I expected more.

Our car service could not get within two blocks of the hotel due to the Macys parade. I called the hotel and asked if there was an alternate route or something they could recommend. We had a lot of luggage so walking two blocks through a large crowd was not an option. The person I spoke with had no idea about what streets were closed and told me that my driver should know. We had to walk the two blocks.

When we arrived we were told our room was not ready yet. It was 12:45 and I knew we were early. I asked when it would be ready and we were told no more than an hour and half. We went for a bite to eat and came back about an hour and twenty mins later. We were sitting in the lobby watching couple after couple check in and be handed room keys. Finally asked again and was told it would be another hour. This was unacceptable as we were headed to a dinner and needed to change. The front desk had told me the room was vacant when we first arrived.

The front desk staff then told me that they would let us use a bathroom to change in as the spa was closed for the holiday. I politely declined. They then told us they would expedite the room and that we could have a cocktail at the bar on them.

I went to the bar and the bartender said I needed a voucher from the front desk. Is this a Hampton Inn? Do I need my breakfast coupon? I walked back to the front desk and received my voucher.

The interior of the hotel is very pretty. The art deco decor is very well done however they have taken the decor a bit too far. The music is all 50's to match the decor and old movies are blaring in the elevator. Why ruin the beautiful decor by making it feel like Epcot Center.

The rooms are spectacular and very large. One of the nicest rooms I have ever stayed in in New York.

Butler service was terrific and went above and beyond on a few requests.

Overall nice hotel but needs work in the service department.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RSKI213
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 21 November 2011

We stayed for 3 nights and had a lovely time. After reading some of the reviews, I was more than a bit concerned but The Chatwal took excellent care of us. We arrived shortly after noon and Lance at the front desk saw to it that we were in our room in about a half an hour. We were given a room on the 4th floor overlooking 44th Street so while not much of a view, we didn't look at a brick wall that some have complained about. We had no problem with noise, from within the hotel or from the street for that matter. The bed was very comfortable and we had no trouble sleeping. The curtains kept out all morning light and we were never disturbed.

What we loved: The bathroom! A beautiful walkin shower large enough for two with a pizza plate size rain shower faucet. My only concern was drowning in all that water! The bathroom towels were as big as sheets and lovely robes hang from the back of the bathroom door. There were double sinks and the bathroom is stocked with lots of amenities too. The toilet seat was heated! The entire space was mirrored, which depending on your perspective could be a good or bad thing. We really liked the hi-tech lighting. Press a button on any one of several switches and all lights go on or off. Walk into the room and the lights go on. The closets lit up as well when the doors opened.

What we didn't like: Not enough counter space for things. We would have liked to have a coffee maker brought up but we didn't have anyplace to put it. Even in the bathroom we were pressed to find places to put our things.

The staff was very friendly, always greeting us as we came in and out: from the front desk to the bellmen to the doormen. Brandon, the head butler made a point to visit with us in the lobby and told us to let him know if we needed anything at all. We had a wonderful stay and would definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor on the street side and if you don't see something in your room, ask for it...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Friscotravelers
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 20 November 2011

We were really looking forward to our long weekend stay at the high end Chatwal but in the end this property disappointed in too many areas.

The concierge gets a failing grade having received my email several days in advance but never acknowledging it. When we did arrive and ask about the things we had asked for help with, they confirmed that they did get the email in advance but hadn't done anything with it. One request was to reserve a brunch table at the American girls cafe - a special request from my daughters, but having sat on this request for almost a week, they now were unable to get a reservation for us. They did try to get a 1PM reservation but made no attempt to find alternate times available. No message was sent to our room with any update as they had promised so we had to go check back with them only to find that they had struck out.
Finally we contacted the cafe ourselves and were able to get a reservation.

The Hotel has a nice boutique ambiance with a good mix of traditional art deco and a dash of modern.

On arrival the staff were friendly and offered their help in any way.

The room was nice, the bathroom was very nice but the view was nonexistent with a building that blocks the entire back side of the hotel standing so close that not only was our Terrace useless but it was even hard to tell if it was cloudy or sunny outside until we went right outside to look straight up.

Our girls were pretty disappointed and since the hotel was not full I had hoped that as a Starwood Platinum they would upgrade me to something with a bit of a view - we asked.
Originally they responded that there was not much they could do but then offered to find something better to move us to the following day.

The staff on the following day apparently knew nothing of this and offered no alternative or apology.

At this point we decided to check out early and move to another hotel.

The staff seemed unconcerned that a guest was leaving early and unhappy. They promptly adjusted my departure date and asked if there was anything else they could do.

No thanks Chatwal, you've done quite enough.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family