“Manhattan luxury”

The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York
Ranked #35 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 14 May 2012

My husband and I had the opportunity to stay at the Chatwal in New York a short while ago. It was the nicest stay we've had in New York and the location was terrific.
The hospitality was warm and gracious, from the front desk to the bell hop, the restaurant staff and the maintenance worker who came to replace a battery in our safe. The response to our request for service was immediate!

We loved everything about the room, from the decor to the heated toilet seats. The bed was plush and comfortable and the room was extraordinarily quiet.
We were steps away from Times Square and some of the best restaurants in Manhattan.
We will absolutely stay there again.

Many thanks to everyone at the Chatwal who made our stay so pleasant.

Mary-Lu and Chris
Canada

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Lance M, Front Office Supervisor at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2012

Dear Mary-Lu K,

Thank you for very kind words about your stay at The Chatwal Hotel.

Above all at The Chatwal Hotel, we pride ourselves on the intimate level of service we provide our guests. I am thrilled to know you encountered this first hand.

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Chatwal in the near future.

Reviewed 14 May 2012

I travel close to 90% of the year and always stay at Starwood properties unless one isn't available. Having stayed in several Category 5 (and a few 6) I was really curious about what makes a hotel a 7. Additionally, since the Chatwal is in downtown NYC, space is at a premium so I figured it wasn't huge room sizes that make a Category 7 stand out.

I checked in shortly after 4:00 PM. The Valet handled our luggage and the Butler accompanied us to our room. I thought it was overkill but he explained he needed to show us how to 'use everything' in the room. The first thing that stuck out was that you just wave your keycard over the sensor instead of having to insert it. When they opened the door, I was immediately taken back by the room. There was an excellent view, a really long hallway and it was much roomier than I thought it would be. The room was lightly lit and the beautiful 'wallpaper' was actually made of suede.

They walked me over to the bed and showed me the room controller. Everything in the room that was electronic can be controlled by a touchscreen device located on your night stand. Drapes, the shades, lights, temperature were all remotely controlled. You can call room service, have your car brought up automatically, and several other similar things all from the controller. The bed seemed a bid too firm at first and I was a little surprised by it. Yet, after laying in in for just a few minutes I found it quite comfortable and it ended up being the best I've slept in recent memory.

They showed us the closet and storage space next. While this seems pretty self-explanatory, there was a lot you could easily overlook if you weren't shown it. That's b/c utilizing space efficiently is taken to an art form at the Chatwal. They showed us each of the closets, how to get in to everything, and a few other assorted niceties like the fold away feature of the desk. There's butler service, shoe polishing service and closets that are not just roomy, but very well organized. Packing and unpacking was made much simpler by the way they had everything laid out.

He proceeded to explain the wifi access and how to open the stealth desk and cover (which my wife found amazingly useful for getting ready and putting makeup on ).

Last up was the bathroom. There were mirrors everywhere which was very convenient when you're getting ready and trying to make sure you can see things from every angle. If you weren't shown that there was a Television in the mirror, I would never have figured it out. The bathtub was huge and had Jacuzzi jets in addition to a 'rain water' shower. My wife raved about the bathtub which I did not try. That's b/c I was too enamored with the shower itself and the rain water faucet is just one of the things we discovered in the hotel room that we'll be equipping our home with.

The final item on the bathroom tour was the toilet. It was a very low profile no noise model which was nice, but pretty much what you'd expect in a hotel like this. So I was wondering why it needed explained to me. I quickly realized it was the 'Toto' (I heard about it on the Howard Stern). I'll just leave it at this - Google 'Toto Toilet seat' - as eccentric as it sounds, the wife and I both immediately agreed we'll be getting them for our house. If nothing else, the heated aspect is very comfortable and the images on the control box alone are worth the price of admission.

All in all, the service was just amazing. The room was amazing. Everything about the trip was just perfect and i recommend it as highly as I can recommend something. The part I guess that still sort of surprises me is that I am a regular at the W (which is an awesome chain - I mean nothing negative about it at all) and really thought this would just be a slightly more glamorous version with a little more flashy service. I was very wrong and the coolness of the Chatwal can not be overstated.

Room Tip: Rooms that face 44th street give you a view, but also have more outside noise. It's not the Hote...
3  Thank UvalDuvalCuckoo

Dear UvalDuvalCuckoo,

Thank you for your review of The Chatwal Hotel. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share the details of your experience.

We are delighted to know you appreciated the intimate level of service we provide and the various aspects that can be found within our guest rooms.

We would welcome the opportunity to host you for another stay. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com if I can be of any assistance.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 14 May 2012

The Chatwal is a small boutique hotel with well designed rooms and public areas in an art deco style.
Service on our three night stay was excellent and attentive from all members of staff. On arrival we were upgrated to a delightful suite. But the real discovery is to find a hotel in a quiet side street in the centre of New York that is just a few paces from the madness of Times Square! We thoroughly enjoyed the style, rooms,can-do staff attitude and location. We'll be back!

Dear Riccardose,

Thank you for sharing your experience at The Chatwal Hotel.

I am delighted to know you had a pleasant stay with us, enjoying the hotel’s unique location in New York City’s historic theatre district.

We will look forward to your next visit at The Chatwal Hotel.

Reviewed 10 May 2012

The Chatwal is a really different experience. It’s a small boutique hotel. The rooms (mine was a Grand Deluxe) are not large, as you might expect given the prices. They are long and narrow but well appointed. The décor is modern with beige suede walls and maroon furniture. So a dark masculine feel to the room. The furniture is non traditional modern, I think. There is a large flat screen across from the bed. Their selling point is the bathroom which is super modern, chic. It’s also done in a maroon stone with silver sparkles to it. The rain bath shower is not so great as water leaks out on to the floor because there is only a half glass door with the rest exposed. I had tons of water on the floor every time I took a shower, so while it looks cool it’s not functional. The toilet has an electric bidet if you like that type of thing. There is a TV in the mirror which I didn’t use but someone might like. The best part of the room in my opinion was the small terrace. It’s got seating and a table which is very unusual for New York and a nice surprise. No view at all but still nice to have fresh air.
I went to the Lambs Club bar which is very nice. I also ordered room service which was quick and the food was excellent.
The location is right by Times Square so great if you are seeing a show.
I would recommend this hotel but be mindful that is not your typical luxury hotel with a large light airy room.

Room Tip: Get a room with a terrace.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Spacious rooms are one of the benchmarks of a hotel luxury, however The Chatwal emphasizes a chic style over size. You can expect a comfortable bed and pillows, high-thread count sheets, small bathroom with higher-quality amenities such as a heated toilet seat, bath robes and nice spa soaps.
The hotel looked as I expected. The staff were very pleasant, helpful, and friendly. I felt safe with a door man and card key elevator access. It was very clean and met my expectations. It is in close proximity to Times Square (approximately 150 paces or less than a 2-minute walk).
I would recommend the hotel's restaurant, The Lambs Club, for dinner but not for breakfast. Instead, you will find a lovely restaurant across the street with a nice breakfast menu or a couple of Starbucks about a 5-minute walk in either direction on 7th Avenue.

2  Thank C185
Reviewed 5 May 2012

For those of you who are loyal Starwood members, you know that a Category 7 property is an indication the hotel is one of the best Starwood has to offer. The Chatwal is a two year old property that has recently been elevated to their premier status. So the question is, "Does this hotel deserve it's new found rating?"

As a Starwood platinum  member, we were very excited to stay at the Chatwal for five nights in May. I am pleased to report "yes" this hotel makes the top grade. Here's why:

Location: This hotel is located in the heart of the Manhattan Theater District and only a short walk to almost any NY metro line. We were able to leave our hotel and get to our 7pm theater performances in five minutes or less. We loved the location of this hotel over any other NY Starwood property.

Quiet Boutique Hotel: This property has approximately 80 rooms. Rarely did we see other hotel guest and felt like we were staying in our own NY apartment. The hotel is located on a quiet street and we never heard the hustle and bustle of the city. It was wonderful.

Rooms & Decor:  Even though this hotel is two years old, everything looked  brand new. It's immaculate. We stayed in a two room suite with two separate bathrooms. The rooms were small but the space was well used. As you have most likely read in other reviews, the hotel is known for their beautiful state of the art bathrooms. The Toto toilets and rain showers are phenomenal. Suede wallpaper and modern decor throughout the suite was magazine perfect. Chairs and bed were very comfortable.

Customer Service: No problems here.  Hotel customer service was up to top Starwood  standards.  Check in, maid service, and bellmen were outstanding. One constructive point was that our room came with butler service, however, we never saw him/her. During our other stays at St. Regis properties, the butler introduced themselves at the beginning of our stay and throughout our visit. We never met the butler until the end when we were checking out.

So does this hotel deserve the ultimate Starwood highest rating? Absolutely!  We loved our stay at this hotel and recommend it highly. If you prefer a more traditional New York style hotel, you might want to consider the St. Regis NY, but The Chatwal Hotel is an equal choice when visiting the Big Apple.

Hotel Comment & Platinum Member Warning:  As a Platinum  Starwood Member, we are now given the option of a complimentary breakfast as a loyalty incentive. We selected this option and was surprised to find out we were required to pay a 20% gratuity charge...which came out to $12 for a basket of average sweet breads and two cups of coffee. This unique charge was a clear indication the hotel is not interested in providing this service. In addition, the service provided while eating this complimentary breakfast was sub-standard. After only two mornings, we decided to have breakfast elsewhere. We're so glad we did. It's our advice to all Platinum Members not to choose this option when staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank BOLDMissionHills_KS
Lance M, Front Office Supervisor at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Dear BOLDMissionHills_KS,
Thank you for sharing the details of your experience at The Chatwal Hotel. We truly value your time.

I am delighted to read that you found the location of our hotel convenient for your plans. I am pleased to know that you appreciated the rooms, the décor and the customer service.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the complimentary breakfast option. I happy to announce that we have amended this situation. Beginning immediately, gratuity is now at guest's discretion and no longer an automatic charge. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back for a return visit to The Chatwal Hotel.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 5 May 2012

i stayed at the Chatwal for the first time last year and enjoyed my experience. When I returned to New York this year I was looking forward to another stay at this beautiful boutique hotel. I was not disappointed! The hotel is everything I remembered and more. The decor is stylish and charming. The location of the hotel is superb for a tourist; close to shopping, theatres and restaurants. The service of all the staff at the hotel was superb. Special mention to Nick and Juan at the concierge dek who gave great advice across all areas ranging from restaurants to interesting attractions, to local brand shopping advice. Thank you to all for a terrific time!

Stayed: April 2012

Dear Felicia35,

Thank you for writing another review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your support.

I am delighted to know that you had an enjoyable return visit. We would be honored to host you again for another stay. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com if you feel there is anything I may be able to provide for you.