“Clean, clean, clean”

Ranked #45 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Saratoga Springs, New York
“Clean, clean, clean”
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Ok, this review is a little late.

We stayed in March during our trip for the Architectural Digest. I'm an SPG Gold member so I try to stay at SPG hotels as much as possible. I'm also a bit of a germ freak and was thrilled to find out the Chatwal was bed bug free!!!

The rooms are old world 1920's styled. Yes, they are a tad dark, and yes the room control can be difficult at times. HOWEVER, the bathroom is excellent, the bed is inviting, and the embrace makes you want a dirty martini on the rocks.

The location is great as well. I would recommend this to those looking for excellent service, great location, and attention to detail.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 8 June 2012

At time of check-in, I was told I was upgraded to a junior suite, since I am an SPG Platinum member. When I walked into the room, I thought there must have been a mistake. The room was very small and extremely dark, with no natural light due to a much larger building located very close the room's window. When I called down to the front desk, they rudely told me that there was not another room available. I called SPG to cancel the reservation and to move to a different hotel. The SPG representative called the hotel and spoke with the manager, who said he agreed to cancel the reservation.
Surprisingly, while reviewing my credit card statement, I noticed that I recevied a charge from the Chatwal, even though SPG had canceled the reservation and I did not stay in the room.
In addition, avoid the restaurant, unless you enjoy dining with a swarm of fruit flies.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank N0Reservati0ns35805
Lance M, Front Office Supervisor at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear N0Reservati0ns35805,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review.

Every single guest room in The Chatwal Hotel is equipped with the most luxurious amenities one can find in a hotel. We are most disappointed to read that you did not find your upgraded Junior Suite to be an acceptable accommodation. As all of our Junior Suites face the front of the house overlooking 44th street, we are puzzled by the comment that your Junior Suite had no natural light.

As we are always looking to exceed our guest's expectations, I sincerely welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience in greater detail. I can be reached via email at lmiller@thechatwalny.com. You may also call the hotel at 212.764.6200 and ask to speak with Lance.

I very much look forward to hearing from you.

Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Stayed at the Chatwal for 4 nights! They treat you like Royalty from the moment you step in the door. Every staff member were extremely friendly and helpful. Rooms were nice and cozy - pillows amazing! Bathroom is beautiful. One small issue is that you can hear the people in the room next to yours. Location is fantastic! It is located half a block from Time Square centre.

Would not purchase the continental breakfast at the Lamb's Club (adjacent to the hotel but separate Management) as you only get croissants and raisin buns. My friend is gluten intolerant and we are all healthy eaters. They refused to substitute our breakfast with fresh fruit or yoghurt (which would cost them way less) so we cancelled the breakfast and ate somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank safarmgirl
Dear safarmgirl,

Thank you for sharing the details of your experience at The Chatwal Hotel.

We are delighted to know you had such a wonderful stay. We very much appreciate your support.

We would welcome the opportunity to host you for a return visit. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com if I may be of any further assistance.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Got a reasonable deal for this relatively new 5-star hotel just next to Times Square (on 44th, same block as the ABC studio). Were upgraded to a junior suite, perhaps because we were celebrating our honeymoon. The service was incredible. Friendly desk attendant, an actual hotel butler, art deco style out the wazoo.
Then the rooms. Wow. Somehow mixing ultra-modern features with luxury art deco style (high tech room controls on the phone), bathroom in sparkly maroon/brown granite and mirrors, TV in the wall, and the toilet from space with a warm seat and water jets (!!!). The upgraded room had a small "walk in" closet with safe and mini bar area, seating area, and desk that opened up to reveal a light and work area.

The location can't be beat for Times Square activity, without being right on the square (just half a block off).

Maybe the only downsides were that the room control touch screen on the phone did not respond well to touch, so it was often hard to change the lighting and drapery settings; also that the desk lamp that lights up when the lid is hinged open basically shined directly at eye level while working, so I had to drape a hand towel to serve as a visor when working on my laptop.

But overall, this was an amazing luxury boutique hotel, at a great location, with incredible service. I will return.

1 Thank ptbooth
Oceanside
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We stayed here for one week and it could not have been better. The location is perfect for a trip to NYC, half a block from Times Square, the subway, theatre and plenty of great restaurants. Our room was fantastic (we are Platinum Starwood members and were upgraded to a suite) Tasteful furnishings and the bathrooms are not to be believed... every imaginable amenity and convenience including a tv built into the mirror of each bathroom. The front manager Brad, was incredibly helpful and accommodating in all areas. The staff in general made you feel like you were part of the family, and that they really wanted you to have whatever you needed. Had a fantastic facial in the spa and wonderful drinks at the bar. Cannot wait to come back

Room Tip: Our room was very quiet
Dear OceansideJanet,

Thank you for your very gracious review of your stay at The Chatwal Hotel.

We are delighted to know you had a wonderful experience with us and that you appreciated various aspects of the hotel.

We will look forward to your return visit. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com if I may be of any assistance.

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Stayed at Chatwal---fabalous hotel--Elizabeth at front desk---the best----Have stayed many five star hotels --this ranks with all-----Richard-S.-----Pa.

1 Thank Richard S
Wakefield, RI
Reviewed 1 June 2012

My husband and I spent two nights at the Chatwal over the Easter weekend. I happened upon the Chatwal and am so glad I did. This hotel is nothing short of wonderful...the staff, the ambience, the location......everything perfect! Having stayed in many of Manhattan's finest, from chain hotels to boutiques, I can say with confidence that the Chatwal beats them all, hands down. It is truly lovely. And, when we checked in they gave us an upgrade to a deluxe king room. We will always check the Chatwal's availability first when visiting the city!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Lance M, Front Office Supervisor at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, 3 June 2012
Dear SallyWakefield_RI,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review.

We sincerely appreciate your support and will look forward to your return visit.

Cordially,