“High tech with sparkles”

The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York
Ranked #39 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 13 June 2012

We just returned from staying 3 nights in this wonderful hotel - the nicest one I have stayed in in NY and I have stayed in many both down market and up market. My 2 grandsons were wowed by the bathroom - the cocoa colored tiles have sparkled material in them which makes the entire bathroom glow. The kids thought it was the coolest thing they had ever seen. The technical aspect of the hotel is amazing - curtains and lights are controlled by a console beside your bed and the bathroom has so mahy features you just have to experience. Even a heated toilet seat!!!
The staff is most attentived and efficient. Always a doorman to greet you on arrival and departure. The bar was relaxing and lively but still soothing after leaving the hectic street activity. You would never kinow you were so close to Times Square. We did ot experience the restaurant but it looked very upscale and intimate. Had we not had our two 6 and 7 year olds we definitely would have gone. If you love theater this is the location to be in. I want to stay here for a month.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank berkemp
Lance M, Front Office Supervisor at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Dear berkemp,

Thank you for your very kind words regarding your stay at The Chatwal Hotel.

We are delighted to know that you appreciated the intimate aspects of your guest room and the bathroom.

We do hope to welcome you back for a return visit…maybe even for that month you want!

Lance Miller

Write a ReviewReviews (1,199)

Reviewed 12 June 2012

Right off Sixth Avenue on 44th St., the Chatwal conveys a sense of luxury and peace as soon as you enter. Between the lobby, the bar and the rooms, it conveys a sense of art deco splendor as if you are traveling in a private rail car or yacht.

The room furnishings are unusual and successfully camouflage the small size of the room. The bathroom is not large, but big enough and is gorgeous.

The staff was extremely helpful and gracious---a wonderful surprise in every way.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

Dear lionslurking,

Thank you for your very gracious review.

We are thrilled to read you appreciated the room furnishings, all of which are custom designed for each room by Thierry Despont.

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back for a return visit. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com if I may be of any assistance.

Reviewed 11 June 2012

Ok, this review is a little late.

We stayed in March during our trip for the Architectural Digest. I'm an SPG Gold member so I try to stay at SPG hotels as much as possible. I'm also a bit of a germ freak and was thrilled to find out the Chatwal was bed bug free!!!

The rooms are old world 1920's styled. Yes, they are a tad dark, and yes the room control can be difficult at times. HOWEVER, the bathroom is excellent, the bed is inviting, and the embrace makes you want a dirty martini on the rocks.

The location is great as well. I would recommend this to those looking for excellent service, great location, and attention to detail.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2012

At time of check-in, I was told I was upgraded to a junior suite, since I am an SPG Platinum member. When I walked into the room, I thought there must have been a mistake. The room was very small and extremely dark, with no natural light due to a much larger building located very close the room's window. When I called down to the front desk, they rudely told me that there was not another room available. I called SPG to cancel the reservation and to move to a different hotel. The SPG representative called the hotel and spoke with the manager, who said he agreed to cancel the reservation.
Surprisingly, while reviewing my credit card statement, I noticed that I recevied a charge from the Chatwal, even though SPG had canceled the reservation and I did not stay in the room.
In addition, avoid the restaurant, unless you enjoy dining with a swarm of fruit flies.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
7  Thank N0Reservati0ns35805
Lance M, Front Office Supervisor at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2012

Dear N0Reservati0ns35805,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review.

Every single guest room in The Chatwal Hotel is equipped with the most luxurious amenities one can find in a hotel. We are most disappointed to read that you did not find your upgraded Junior Suite to be an acceptable accommodation. As all of our Junior Suites face the front of the house overlooking 44th street, we are puzzled by the comment that your Junior Suite had no natural light.

As we are always looking to exceed our guest's expectations, I sincerely welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience in greater detail. I can be reached via email at lmiller@thechatwalny.com. You may also call the hotel at 212.764.6200 and ask to speak with Lance.

I very much look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 8 June 2012

Stayed at the Chatwal for 4 nights! They treat you like Royalty from the moment you step in the door. Every staff member were extremely friendly and helpful. Rooms were nice and cozy - pillows amazing! Bathroom is beautiful. One small issue is that you can hear the people in the room next to yours. Location is fantastic! It is located half a block from Time Square centre.

Would not purchase the continental breakfast at the Lamb's Club (adjacent to the hotel but separate Management) as you only get croissants and raisin buns. My friend is gluten intolerant and we are all healthy eaters. They refused to substitute our breakfast with fresh fruit or yoghurt (which would cost them way less) so we cancelled the breakfast and ate somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank safarmgirl

Dear safarmgirl,

Thank you for sharing the details of your experience at The Chatwal Hotel.

We are delighted to know you had such a wonderful stay. We very much appreciate your support.

We would welcome the opportunity to host you for a return visit. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com if I may be of any further assistance.

Reviewed 6 June 2012

Got a reasonable deal for this relatively new 5-star hotel just next to Times Square (on 44th, same block as the ABC studio). Were upgraded to a junior suite, perhaps because we were celebrating our honeymoon. The service was incredible. Friendly desk attendant, an actual hotel butler, art deco style out the wazoo.
Then the rooms. Wow. Somehow mixing ultra-modern features with luxury art deco style (high tech room controls on the phone), bathroom in sparkly maroon/brown granite and mirrors, TV in the wall, and the toilet from space with a warm seat and water jets (!!!). The upgraded room had a small "walk in" closet with safe and mini bar area, seating area, and desk that opened up to reveal a light and work area.

The location can't be beat for Times Square activity, without being right on the square (just half a block off).

Maybe the only downsides were that the room control touch screen on the phone did not respond well to touch, so it was often hard to change the lighting and drapery settings; also that the desk lamp that lights up when the lid is hinged open basically shined directly at eye level while working, so I had to drape a hand towel to serve as a visor when working on my laptop.

But overall, this was an amazing luxury boutique hotel, at a great location, with incredible service. I will return.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ptbooth
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We stayed here for one week and it could not have been better. The location is perfect for a trip to NYC, half a block from Times Square, the subway, theatre and plenty of great restaurants. Our room was fantastic (we are Platinum Starwood members and were upgraded to a suite) Tasteful furnishings and the bathrooms are not to be believed... every imaginable amenity and convenience including a tv built into the mirror of each bathroom. The front manager Brad, was incredibly helpful and accommodating in all areas. The staff in general made you feel like you were part of the family, and that they really wanted you to have whatever you needed. Had a fantastic facial in the spa and wonderful drinks at the bar. Cannot wait to come back

Room Tip: Our room was very quiet