“Best boutique in NYC”

Ranked #40 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Birmingham
“Best boutique in NYC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

I've stayed in all 5 stars in NYC expect the St. Regis. If you prefer a top notch boutique as opposed to a hotel with a 50,000 sq foot lobby designed to impress tourists not staying at your hotel (i.e. The Plaza), then I suggest you strongly consider the Chatwal. Private; great design (especially if you appreciate classic art deco). Stunning rooms. The latest technology in rooms. Best bathrooms in NYC. Great location, especially for Broadway and 5th Ave. shopping. Classic restaurant. Exceptional service. Probably the best hotel in NYC, not just among boutiques. I'm including the 4 Seasons, Mandarin, Ritz Central Park, etc. The only negative is if you must have a great NYC view, it does not have that.

Room Tip: Terrace rooms are available if so desired.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Lance M, Front Office Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
Dear NolanAwb,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.

We are thrilled to know you enjoyed your visit with us and that you appreciated the boutique aspect of our hotel. The Chatwal NY is the Theatre District’s first luxury boutique hotel. We are pleased to know you found the location to be convenient for your needs.
We do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back for a return visit. If I can ever be of assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com

Lance Miller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

I'll try not to duplicate all the reviews here re: location, etc. I would be remiss if I didn't say that the room was lovely and the bath was exquisite. Check ahead if your room has one and if so, bring a candle, some bubble bath and block off some time for a nice leisurely soak. Heaven!

What sets this Starwood property apart however (my husband is Lifetime Platinum so we have been blessed to stay at many properties) are the little things. The service from someone opening the door, to the kind acknowledgment from the front desk as you walk by, to the extremely friendly staff who delivered my coffee in the morning was outstanding. I awoke one morning to an issue that had to be resolved ASAP with notarized papers and earliest FedEx next day delivery. In a total panic, I called the concierge and within the hour it was all done, right from the concierge desk. One call and they saved my day. Now THAT is service and what sets a property like this apart from others in NYC.

We look forward to our next trip and without a doubt, our destination of choice will be The Chatwal. My very highest recommendation.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank susanPittsburgh_PA
Dear susanPittsburgh_PA,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.
We are delighted to know you enjoyed your visit with us and that you indulged in the Jacuzzi tub inside your guest room. For your next visit, may I suggest one of the candles that are available above the private bar in your room? They have been custom made exclusively for us by Krigler.

We very much appreciate your kind words about our team and will look forward to your return visit. If there is anything I may be able to assist you with, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com.

uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013

This hotel is tucked away in a fantastic location, just minutes from Time Square, and from the minute you arrive you feel that you are truly home. Every single member of staff is friendly, helpful and professional. We stayed in a suite that was absolutely stunning and luxurious. The bed was so comfortable and inviting after a busy day and the bathroom and products were amazing. They have thought of everything and there are even umbrellas available for you to take with you on a rainy day. The concierge was superb and every one of his restaurant recommendations were spot on! I cannot wait to return!! Worth every penny!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jotheo
Lance M, Front Office Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Dear jotheo,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.

We are delighted to know you enjoyed your visit with us. We are particularly pleased that you utilized the services of the concierge team to curate unforgettable memories.

We will look forward to your return visit. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013

We are just back from a fantastic stay at the Chatwal, a very stylish and luxurious hotel with friendly and helpful staff. Can't recommend highly enough. Also the hotel is in west 44th street just a few hundred yards from Time Square and the theatre district and dozens of restaurants.

Room Tip: Need to ask specifically if you want a bath as most rooms only have a shower albeit a super one All...
1 Thank Djwposy
Dear DJwposy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.

We sincerely appreciate your thoughtful comments about our team and your lovely comments about the style and luxurious appointments throughout the hotel.

We do hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back to The Chatwal NY for a return visit. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me at lmiller@thechatwalny.com.

Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

I am currently staying at the Chatwal. It is a beautiful hotel, however, I was "upgraded" from a queen room to a deluxe king. This sort of gratuitous offering always makes me a bit suspicious, but hey, who was I to complain. When I arrived in the room and found a welcome letter addressed to two other people, I became slightly concerned. The problem didn't surface however, until later in the evening when the Mezzanine Bar started hopping. Room 204 and I would assume any room on a lower floor of the 04 variety, is plagued with the sound of the slamming door leading to the bar and with the hoards of "happy" people jabbering in the elevator bank a couple of feet away. We explained the situation and asked for a quiet room. In fact, we asked specifically if the room was quiet when we arrived and we were assured that it was. When we asked to be moved, we were told that the hotel is 95% booked and that we likely could not be accommodated. I'm not sure why we could not be fit in to the vacant 5%. We did receive a call in the room at 3:00 saying that we could be moved if we would vacate the room and return at 6:00 pm. This would not have been such a difficult request had we had but a wink's sleep the night before with all of the banging and jabbering. But my partner was exhausted. So, we are left for another two nights in the same room. We're hoping the earplugs work.

Room Tip: Stay away from the bar and elevator.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank LuckyTraveler1
Lance M, Front Office Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear LuckyTravler1,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your experience at The Chatwal New York.

I want to apologize that we were not able to exceed your expectations. We explored all other options to move you to a different room, but there were none available at the time you had requested. We sincerely regret the type of disruption you experienced during your stay. This feedback is rare, but we are taking appropriate measures to eliminate any noise travel.

I would be grateful if you would reach out to me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com so that we may discuss your reservation in greater detail.

I will look forward to your correspondence.

Winnipeg, Manitoba
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

GORGEOUS hotel. I'm the first to admit that I don't like the Times Square location much, but staying at this hotel makes braving the busy streets worthwhile. Wow.

Frank Sinatra was playing as we walked in, and that really just was the icing on the cake. The bellmen were dressed like bellboys of old, with the cap and spotless uniforms. Both front desk staff and bell staff were wonderfully friendly. Other reviewers have mentioned it, and I'll agree; the service here is exemplary. They hit the right combination of genuine care and professionalism, making you feel at once like an old friend and a VIP.

The room was lovely. At first, I thought it was a little plain, but then I started to notice the details and changed my opinion to "understated". The leather-wrapped armoires reminded me of old-fashioned luggage, and inside I was pleased to find proper barware, nice heavy cut-glass tumblers rather than cheap glasses. The details like this (and the incredibly crisp, bounce-a-quarter-off-it bedding) really elevated this hotel in my mind.

I stayed in a Grand Deluxe Double room, and the bathroom was massive! Not just massive by New York standards, but larger than my bathroom at home. The floor was glittery tile, the walls and vanity were mirrored, the toilet seat was heated and the tub was spotless. What else does a girl need? How about a rain shower head the size of a medium pizza? Incredible!

The room had an interior view, which is to say that it looked at nothing particularly attractive. However, I keep the drapes shut, and I had the quietest evening to date in New York. I loved that I could sleep without the sound of traffic for an evening!

Sadly, I didn't have time to try their restaurant, but a quick peek in shows that it's beautiful too. Everything about the Chatwal put me in mind of a Golden Age of travel, a step back in time. If you're thinking of booking, stop thinking and do it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank RunCatchKiss
Dear RunCatchKiss,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.

The Chatwal NY is situated in a landmark Stanford White building and serves as an oasis in the middle of Manhattan’s historic Theatre District. It is a throwback to a bygone era of travel. We are delighted to know you appreciated the details in the theme of our hotel, as well as in your accommodations.

Above all at The Chatwal NY, we pride ourselves on the distinguished and intimate level of service our guests receive. We are very appreciative of your comments about our team.
We do hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to The Chatwal NY in the near future. If there is anything further I can assist you with, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Oak Beach, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

We have stayed here many times and always great. It is walking distance to Broadway and resturant row. The lobby and lobby bar are a throwback to the 1940's. Eat at the Lambs Club inside the hotel. They provide chargers for your devices if you forget. Rooms are not huge(even the suites) but very comfortable and well appointed.

1 Thank THECURCIOS
Dear lih20rat,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experiences from The Chatwal NY.

We very much appreciate your continued support and look forward to your next visit.

If there is ever anything I can accommodate for you, please do not hesitate to let me know.