“Amazing hotel”

Ranked #44 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Altrincham,cheshire
“Amazing hotel”
Reviewed 25 April 2013

This hotel is unbelievable. Location is perfect- a stones throw from Times Square. We were upgraded to a Junior Suite which was lovely. Lots of space in the room and the bathrooms were beautiful. Double sinks with a TV in the mirrors between them, heated toilet seat and a huge walk in rainfall shower. Every room has their own private butler. They took our champagne off us in the morning and chilled it for us all day and arranged for it to be back in our room in an ice bucket in the evening at a time of our choice. The Lambs Club bar was great. Not cheap but expected in NY hotels. The Lambs Club Restaurant was fantastic. Food was delicious. The staff make this hotel. They are so friendly and nothing is too much trouble. The only downside, which for our friends we were travelling with was a problem, was that even though you get free wifi throughout the hotel and in your room, it wasn't working at all during the 2nights/3 days we were there. They needed internet access for work and it did cause a few frustrating problems. There didn't seem to be any immediate rush to get this fixed either. It didn't bother us at all but for a business traveller, this could be a major problem. I would definitely stay back at this hotel without hesitation.By far, one of the most amazing hotels I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Lance M, Front Office Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
Dear Af1979,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback from your stay at The Chatwal NY and we are glad to hear you that you enjoyed your time with us.

I apologize for the inconvenience that your friends experienced due to the internet. This rare occurrence was due to an issue with the service provider’s line outside the building, affecting many neighboring businesses and hotels. The service provider has since corrected the line and the internet is now at full speed.

We would welcome the opportunity to have you with us for a return visit. If there is anything I may be able to assist you with, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com.

Lance Miller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I brought a small group of international visitors to the hotel last year because I was looking for a luxury, boutique hotel with personal service and elegant accommodations. I had not heard of the Chatwal, but my SPG Plat contact suggested it and I am glad I followed her advice. All 6 guests enjoyed the stay.

The hotel is refined luxury. If you are looking for over the top style, this isn't the place. But, if you are looking for understated elegance and service... then you will be happy with the Chatwal.

As others have noted, the rooms are not large, but they are nicely appointed. I personally had a small room facing the interior, so it had a view of nothing... but it was quiet, peacful, and I got a great night sleep.

The bathrooms are very large and well appointed.

We also used the Stanford White Studio for our meeting space. It worked very well - a beautiful lounge / library setting for a very productive 3 day meeting.

The hotel is very intimate. With a small lobby, unassuming entrance, and under 100 rooms, it was a big contrast with Times Square.

I enjoyed the hotel so much that I am bringing my family later this week... I will update my report if my impressions change.

Room Tip: If you like peace and quite, ask for a room on a high floor and / or facing the inside.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Matthew C
Dear worldtravelerUSA,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.

We are delighted to know that you and your colleagues had an enjoyable visit at The Chatwal NY. We are pleased that you found your accommodations to be comfortable and that you found the location, and layout of the hotel to be acceptable for your needs.
We would be honored to have you return to The Chatwal NY for another visit. If I can ever be of assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com.

Birmingham
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I've stayed in all 5 stars in NYC expect the St. Regis. If you prefer a top notch boutique as opposed to a hotel with a 50,000 sq foot lobby designed to impress tourists not staying at your hotel (i.e. The Plaza), then I suggest you strongly consider the Chatwal. Private; great design (especially if you appreciate classic art deco). Stunning rooms. The latest technology in rooms. Best bathrooms in NYC. Great location, especially for Broadway and 5th Ave. shopping. Classic restaurant. Exceptional service. Probably the best hotel in NYC, not just among boutiques. I'm including the 4 Seasons, Mandarin, Ritz Central Park, etc. The only negative is if you must have a great NYC view, it does not have that.

Room Tip: Terrace rooms are available if so desired.
Dear NolanAwb,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.

We are thrilled to know you enjoyed your visit with us and that you appreciated the boutique aspect of our hotel. The Chatwal NY is the Theatre District’s first luxury boutique hotel. We are pleased to know you found the location to be convenient for your needs.
We do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back for a return visit. If I can ever be of assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com

Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I'll try not to duplicate all the reviews here re: location, etc. I would be remiss if I didn't say that the room was lovely and the bath was exquisite. Check ahead if your room has one and if so, bring a candle, some bubble bath and block off some time for a nice leisurely soak. Heaven!

What sets this Starwood property apart however (my husband is Lifetime Platinum so we have been blessed to stay at many properties) are the little things. The service from someone opening the door, to the kind acknowledgment from the front desk as you walk by, to the extremely friendly staff who delivered my coffee in the morning was outstanding. I awoke one morning to an issue that had to be resolved ASAP with notarized papers and earliest FedEx next day delivery. In a total panic, I called the concierge and within the hour it was all done, right from the concierge desk. One call and they saved my day. Now THAT is service and what sets a property like this apart from others in NYC.

We look forward to our next trip and without a doubt, our destination of choice will be The Chatwal. My very highest recommendation.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank susanPittsburgh_PA
Dear susanPittsburgh_PA,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.
We are delighted to know you enjoyed your visit with us and that you indulged in the Jacuzzi tub inside your guest room. For your next visit, may I suggest one of the candles that are available above the private bar in your room? They have been custom made exclusively for us by Krigler.

We very much appreciate your kind words about our team and will look forward to your return visit. If there is anything I may be able to assist you with, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com.

uk
Reviewed 18 April 2013

This hotel is tucked away in a fantastic location, just minutes from Time Square, and from the minute you arrive you feel that you are truly home. Every single member of staff is friendly, helpful and professional. We stayed in a suite that was absolutely stunning and luxurious. The bed was so comfortable and inviting after a busy day and the bathroom and products were amazing. They have thought of everything and there are even umbrellas available for you to take with you on a rainy day. The concierge was superb and every one of his restaurant recommendations were spot on! I cannot wait to return!! Worth every penny!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jotheo
Lance M, Front Office Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Dear jotheo,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.

We are delighted to know you enjoyed your visit with us. We are particularly pleased that you utilized the services of the concierge team to curate unforgettable memories.

We will look forward to your return visit. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2013

We are just back from a fantastic stay at the Chatwal, a very stylish and luxurious hotel with friendly and helpful staff. Can't recommend highly enough. Also the hotel is in west 44th street just a few hundred yards from Time Square and the theatre district and dozens of restaurants.

Room Tip: Need to ask specifically if you want a bath as most rooms only have a shower albeit a super one All...
1 Thank Djwposy
Dear DJwposy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.

We sincerely appreciate your thoughtful comments about our team and your lovely comments about the style and luxurious appointments throughout the hotel.

We do hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back to The Chatwal NY for a return visit. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me at lmiller@thechatwalny.com.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I am currently staying at the Chatwal. It is a beautiful hotel, however, I was "upgraded" from a queen room to a deluxe king. This sort of gratuitous offering always makes me a bit suspicious, but hey, who was I to complain. When I arrived in the room and found a welcome letter addressed to two other people, I became slightly concerned. The problem didn't surface however, until later in the evening when the Mezzanine Bar started hopping. Room 204 and I would assume any room on a lower floor of the 04 variety, is plagued with the sound of the slamming door leading to the bar and with the hoards of "happy" people jabbering in the elevator bank a couple of feet away. We explained the situation and asked for a quiet room. In fact, we asked specifically if the room was quiet when we arrived and we were assured that it was. When we asked to be moved, we were told that the hotel is 95% booked and that we likely could not be accommodated. I'm not sure why we could not be fit in to the vacant 5%. We did receive a call in the room at 3:00 saying that we could be moved if we would vacate the room and return at 6:00 pm. This would not have been such a difficult request had we had but a wink's sleep the night before with all of the banging and jabbering. But my partner was exhausted. So, we are left for another two nights in the same room. We're hoping the earplugs work.

Room Tip: Stay away from the bar and elevator.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank LuckyTraveler1
Lance M, Front Office Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear LuckyTravler1,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your experience at The Chatwal New York.

I want to apologize that we were not able to exceed your expectations. We explored all other options to move you to a different room, but there were none available at the time you had requested. We sincerely regret the type of disruption you experienced during your stay. This feedback is rare, but we are taking appropriate measures to eliminate any noise travel.

I would be grateful if you would reach out to me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com so that we may discuss your reservation in greater detail.

I will look forward to your correspondence.