“Excellent Service”

The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York
Ranked #39 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Just stayed at the Chatwal for two nights. Went for business, and the staff was amazing in terms of accommodating our needs, at a moment's notice. My room was well appointed and spotless. The bathroom was very large and frankly, sparkled, Front desk staff (James) was gracious as was Juan the concierge and Brandon, the butler, was most remarkable of all. Both his incredible gift with names and his aim to please was second to none. Would most definitely return!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,198)

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Small, beautiful hotel. Terrible staff. Nice bar/lounge but awful-tasting cocktails.

My husband and I spent a night here for our anniversary. We booked the hotel on a luxury hotel website (which we've used to stay at 5 star, top notch hotels) and were expecting the same 5-star experience here. While the hotel decor was well done, I was unimpressed by the staff. The bell boys/doormen standing by the front door just watched me struggle to open the front door while carrying all my luggage, and did not even offer to help me, they just continued to talk to one another.
I got to the front desk and asked them if I could get a key to the room and surprise my husband, who was not expecting me until later (he had already checked in). The people at the front desk kept refusing to give me a key, even though I showed them my license with my last name matching the one on the account and explained to them my idea for the anniversary surprise, AND our file with the hotel said it was our anniversary so it was clear I was not lying. It look almost a half hour of me arguing for them not to even give me a key, but to have a staffperson walk me up to the room and open the door for me. I was surprised at how NOT understanding they were.

On a positive note, the room was beautifully decorated. The bathroom was especially nice, and also on the large side. We were very happy with it. No complaints there.

Lastly, we had a few drinks at their bar, The Lambs Club. The seating area and waiters are both very nice but the cocktails are terrible. I first ordered a drink (don't remember the name) that tasted like pure ginger, I couldn't take more than two sips. Probably the worst-tasting cocktail I've ever encountered. The waitress very kindly offered me another drink free of charge, so I chose a simple martini, but even that tasted bad (I don't even know how anyone could mess up a martini!?). My husband very much enjoyed their beer selection though.

Overall, we enjoyed our room but not much else. With so many hotel options in NYC, we will not be coming back here.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fres21
Reviewed 22 November 2013

1st time starting at the Chatwal Hotel, I didnt realise it was a SPG hotel... disappointing that booking with Expedia means no points! Sort it out guys!

The Chatwal is excellently located for Time Sq and the superb restaurants and bars that are within walking distance ( Personal favourite being Striphouse for Steaks and Point Break for Drinks ).

The rooms are adequately sized, not as large as The Mandarin for the same price but they are all the same superbly decorated and kitted out for travellers.

Room Tip: Grand Deluxe was excellent.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I arrived from Australia , chose this as my reciprocal club was full,. I always spend my first three nights in this city recovering from the flight before onto family.
Ithe staff was faultless.. Perfect . every attention to detail was given. I felt I had a perfect security blanket beneath me. Loved the decor, the matress, sheets,,I only experienced the lobby and upstairs for drinks but it was perfect.
the bathroom wash quite special.. Just wondered I if tub area should have a handrail. I found it slippery..
I have no hesitation recommending the hotel. enjoy!

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room. As I wanted to rest. I had a back room... Very quiet , excellent climate c...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 November 2013

DO NOT BOOK the PRICELINE "deal" of $370 a night if traveling with more than 2 people. The $370 is only for one queen bed (although not known to the consumer at the time). The hotel will charge $300 per night mark up for another bed. It's not intuitive or reasonable for a double bed option to cost 81% more. They do not allow cots as it's against fire codes. Bottom-line - if you have more than 2 adults, you can not stay in the room you reserve. Pardon the pun, but I don't know how Mgmt can sleep at night with such a scam.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Candice A
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This hotel, a block from Times Square, is a treasure. The rooms are beautiful, nice-sized, and quiet. Located on 44th Street, the hotel is in the middle of everything and within easy walking distance of all theaters. The Chatwal has a beautiful, inviting restaurant, as well as a comfortable bar and lobby area. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back, facing a back alley, are somewhat dark. Those overlooking 44th Street would...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed 2 nights at The Chatwal.My husband and my son. It really enjoyed it! The rooms were huge, the food really delicious (could also look locally, is prepared as usa food) and the staff always friendly and helpful. staffs has always many musician friends to guest. The Highlight this Hotel are the nightly jams. cant wait to be beack again and sorry for the roview if its not in time becuase I have not use the Tripadvisor tell this few months a go. But im happy to write about your lovely hospitality even been there for a year ago.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business