“Very good luxury boutique hotel”

The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York
Ranked #44 of 467 Hotels in New York City
VA
“Very good luxury boutique hotel”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I stayed two nights recently on a business trip. The room is very comfortable. One of the few hotel rooms in NYC where I enjoyed sitting in the room and reading a book. Most NYC hotels you just want to sleep in -- this one wins on comfort. The staff are very friendly and attentive. The decor is modern and clean and high end. Definitely will stay again. Staff is outstanding. Always friendly and the phone is answered always by the second or third ring -- that is a huge difference with so many hotels stripping down the staffing. Hotel is immaculately clean and new.

A few noteworthy items -- I thought the room had a few amenities that while almost useless -- were whimsical and fun. Your room comes with an in-room bar, which apart from some good booze -- it has five or six magazines and four or five novels. I really like that high-end and somewhat homey touch. Again, you can stand to be in the room at the Chatwal. I also liked the backgammon set -- had not seen one in a very long time (college!).

Bath was very high end. But no bath-tub for tub goers. The shower was a rainfall gizmo which was nice and a toto heated zooped up toilet seat. There you go.

Room service was great for breakfast on day two -- great eggs and the smootie was superb. One in-room dining note on the burger -- I have ordered room service burgers around the world. This was the rarest "medium rare" burger I have ever received --- really a steak tartare. Too much for me -- go Medium or Medium Well even if you are always a Medium Rare person. If not, you've been warned.

44th Street is a nice street with several good italian restaurants. And for tourists, Times Square is down the street.

The only negative really for me was noise. Being on the 4th floor, for a while there were a few too many sirens. Things calmed down and the sleep quality was excellent.

Recommend for business or for couples.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank FredTravelVa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Roslyn, New York
Reviewed 24 February 2014

One of the best hotel that I have ever stayed at. Staffs were attentive, responsive and careful in every aspect. Art Deco design and details in both rooms and public area are spectacular. General manager, butlers & receptions are all well trained. It was a great experience. Will go back in NO time.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Michael H
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 18 February 2014

The Chatwal convinces with super attentive and friendly staff, well-appointed rooms, and a quiet, relaxing atmosphere right next to Times Square. By far the best choice of any hotel nearby, the Chatwal won me over with their total consistency in delivering a great experience. Every time, at any of my frequent stays there, everything was perfect. Notable bar scene and music, and arguably one of the best restaurants in all of NY, The Lambs Club, which serves wonderful breakfast and also works well for business brunch, lunch or dinner, only add further to the convincing package. Highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank WeeklyTravelerATL
Ryan W, Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear WeeklyTravelerATL,
Thank you for takign the time to share your feedback about your recent stay on TripAdvisor. We are very pleased that we were able to exceed your expectaions. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Chatwal in the future.
Kerhonkson, New York
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My husband and I just got home from our honeymoon to NYC. We stayed at The Chatwal and couldn't be any happier. As a young couple (both 20) and parents, it was very nice to be able to get away. The Chatwal was relaxing and peaceful. We were very happy to know it was a block away from the Toys R Us in Times Square.

The staff was very polite and helpful. When we had a question about a door in our room, they sent the Head Butler in to thoroughly explain to us what it was and he was very nice and professional. He had us laughing and even handed us his business card if we needed anything.Even better, he was clocking out for the weekend and was still interested in helping us with anything we needed. (And again, we hope you
have a great vacation!)

The room.... wow! We stayed in an Executive Studio Suite on the 4th floor and our jaws dropped at first sight! It was very clean and absolutely gorgeous. The shower was amazing... no bathtub, but the Waterfall shower head definitely made up for it!

Checking out was very upsetting to us because we were enjoying our stay so much and weren't ready to.go back to our own bed. Doesn't even compare to our bed in the room!

We had an amazing honeymoon and The Chatwal exceeded all of our expectations. We can't wait to come back to NYC and stay at our favorite hotel again!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank rmb102010
Dear rmb102010,
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay on TripAdvisor. We are so pleased that we were able to make your honeymoon special and memorable. Our staff takes great pride in the service they provide and are very grateful for the recognition.
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Chatwal in the future.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I travel to NYC regularly and am a SPG Platinum member. My latest visit to the Chatwal was wonderful. Suite upgrade, terrific service, great location, cool bar.

So, I was surprised when I checked the latest reviews as I was making a reservation for an upcoming NYC visit and found such unfortunate experiences. So consistently poor are the reviews that I elected to stay at an alternate SPG property.

Sad. This was one of my favorite hotels. I hope that things turn around. I'll miss the Chatwal until then.

Room Tip: The two room suites are magnificent.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear FrequentlyMe,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are very pleased to know that you have had wonderful stays with us in the past. Please rest assured that you will not be dissapointed when you return. When we do make an error we collectively learn and correct the infraction. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and delivering the kind of experience expected from The Chatwal.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Stayed at The Chatwal for 4 nights on a business trip. Great location for the office located by Bryant Park (and 1 minute from Times Square) but I found this hotel massively disappointing.

This hotel is fine, nothing much to complain about in general, the real issue is the price. $700 a night for a standard room that has every gadget imaginable (tablet to control the curtains, lights, TV) and a high tech bathroom but no natural light, at any time of the day. Half a dozen staff on reception but it takes 45 minutes to checkout. An over complicated breakfast menu but they serve burnt toast and awful eggs (according to the colleague I was travelling with).

This hotel is a great example of style of substance. It looks good, but the level of service falls short of what you would expect for the price. I was so unimpressed that even though I wasn't footing the bill I alerted my firms travel company and apparently so had other colleagues at my firm and other clients of theirs; it's now off their books.

New York is a very expensive city but if you have a budget of $500+ a night, there are so many better options than The Chatwal. I wouldn't stay here even if it was heavily discounted, it's just not worth it even with the great location.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank London20142014
Ryan W, Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear London2014,
We appreciate your feedback. While we are glad that you found our accommodations impressive we are disappointed that we did not meet your expectations when it comes to service.
Our guests appreciate our ability to care for them individually and in the most efficient and personable fashion which sets us apart from larger hotels. With only 76 rooms we excel at avoiding delays and a line in the lobby is unknown to occur. I sincerely hope we will have an opportunity to discuss the details of your stay. I have reached out to you directly and look forward to hearing back.
Again, I apologize sincerely and hope we have an opportunity to discuss your departure experience.
With best regards
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 February 2014

As a first time guest I was truly looking forward to experiencing the Chatwal as a whole and what it had to offer. In my travels to some of the best luxury hotels in the world I've heard great things about the Chatwal hotel, which Unfortunately I can't say the same after my stay. I arrived Superbowl weekend with intent to explore and get my stay off to a great start at the hotel but they had a private event booked on both levels for the whole weekend which meant all the chatwal guest who were not apart of the NFL Superbowl Clients didn't have access to the restaurant & the bar etc. Whom ever book this event from the Chatwal hotel didn't take in consideration the rest of the hotel guests especially SPG members. Because of this issue there wasn't any where for any of us to go inside the hotel except to our rooms or to leave the hotel, in which I didn't reserve a 2 night stay at a Category 7 starwood property to do either. My goal was to explore the hotel lobby sitting area, the famous bars area, the exquisite restaurant for dinner in which I had invited out my family who was celebrating a family anniversary but had to cancel because I had no access to restaurant area. Next issue housekeeping had to come back into my room after it had been cleaned already to replace my pillows because someone got the rooms mixed up and removed the pillows out of the room originally. Next the radio speakers were blown and the TV kept shutting off which meant the engineer had to come to my room to reset the TV. It truly didn't meet my expectations at all. I felt like I wasted my money by booking this hotel. I would like to thank Mr. Fischer (hotel manager) for his extremely hospitality as well as Julio & Jesus from engineering.
After this experience I can truly say I wouldn't refer someone to this hotel who is looking for that luxury/ Category 7 starwood experience.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Aempire
Ryan W, Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Aempire,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Let me profusely apologize for the poor experience you had here at The Chatwal. While we were proud to be chosen to accommodate the Super Bowl’s Executive Hosting Committee, we clearly underestimated the impact of the event on our hotel guests.

Providing a personalized and memorable experience by caring for each of our customer, one by one, is what we strive for and excel at. We missed our mark on this weekend and I can assure you that a similar scenario will not occur again.

We also wish to apologize for the TV troubles which resulted from a malfunctioning piece hardware that needed to be replaced by our TV service provider. It was most unfortunate that this coincided with the so anticipated Superbowl game.

Again I am very sorry that we failed to impress you, especially on your first stay with us. We have reached out to you and will welcome an opportunity to redeem ourselves and to provide you with a welcoming atmosphere that allows you to fully enjoy ALL of our hotel’s fantastic amenities.

We look forward to hearing back from you!

With best regards