“Oasis in Times Square”

Ranked #39 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Hillsborough, New Jersey
“Oasis in Times Square”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

This was our second stay at the Chatwal. We decided to spend our wedding anniversary in NYC and have the ultimate culinary experience. We stayed here last year and were treated so well we wanted to return. I pulled out all the stops and reserved a one bedroom terrace suite -- yes, a terrace one block off of Times Square.

Our experience started with valet parking which was flawless. We were greeted in a friendly and efficient manner and escorted to our room. Several minutes later there was a knock at the door and our butler Manpreet introduced himself and the services he could provide for our convenience. Kudos to him. The suite was spectacular. The terrace was surrounded with tall buildings and a glimpse of the sky but it is Manhattan, after all. The decor is original and stunning, The rooms were flawless. The location could not be improved on. Service was gracious and attentive. My wife travels with medication that needs to be refrigerated and they were able to accommodate our needs. I almost ranked the Chatwal 10 out of 10, but a little upset during a departing breakfast lowers them down to a 9.9 out of 10. Fernando at the front desk assures me that this will be addressed immediately. I believe him.

All in all, a superb experience that enhanced our anniversary celebration. I heartily recommend the Chatwal. We will certainly be returning on our next overnight trip to the City.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rich_C313

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Stepping off bustling 44th Street—through the iron gates of the Chatwal—equates to stepping back in time to the days of a bygone era. I am far too young to understand what the 20’s or 30’s in New York felt like but, if the Chatwal is any indication, I sincerely hope modern science advances to make time travel a reality. Indeed, Fitzgerald himself might have chosen to install his iconic protagonist in this hotel had The Great Gatsby been written less than a century later.

The main lobby is small, private, and exquisitely appointed. From the very first moment one steps into the space, it becomes immediately evident that the owner—Mr. Vikrum Chatwal—spared no expense when restoring this New York icon. The walls are paneled in birds eye wood; in the corners, iridescent, floor-to-ceiling columns of light are finished with chrome hardware that only enhances the art-deco theme. The registration desk, concierge podium, and four-seat bar are finished similarly with sleek, chrome wrapped horizontally around the curved edges. In the seating area, custom bench seating disappears into the contemporary wall mural while subtle touches of red—namely, the supple leather chairs and crimson-rimmed, integrated chrome light fixtures—give the otherwise drab room room a vibrant spark of colour.

The lobby is brought to life by a dedicated team of service professionals which includes a Les Clefs d’Or concierge. Same day tickets to the Book of Mormon, you ask? How does center orchestra sound?

At registration, Angela was an absolute delight. Prior to my arrival, Axel Fisher, the hotel manager, ensured I receive a room with two beds despite the fact that I reserved a king room by accident. The bellmen were prompt and courteous when needed, but never intrusive. Sadly, the vast majority of my stay was ruined by rain but, when I needed to brave the elements, the bellmen were always out front with an umbrella ready and a taxi at the curb. Last but certainly not least, Diane Elliott, the sales manager, is an absolute delight to work with.

During my time at the Chatwal, I stayed in room 406, a ‘Grand Deluxe Room with 2 Double Beds.’ The walls are wrapped in elegant brown suede and contemporary espresso leather. All of the furnishings were custom designed for the hotel and several pieces were designed to look like vintage Louis Vuitton luggage. The beds—custom, handmade mattresses that, I’m sure, cost a bloody fortune—were among the most comfortable I’ve ever experienced in a hotel. Paired with 400-thread-count sateen linens, it was hard to get up in the morning. The bathroom was a sophisticated combination of espresso-colored quartz, mirrors, and colored glass. I especially appreciated the generously-sized Asprey Purple Water amenities, powerful shower, and Toto toilet with an integrated bidet. My favorite part of the room, though, had to be the closets. Custom, oversized, solid wood cabinetry with heavy doors nearly a foot thick scream of quality and attention-to-detail. Inside, the lime green hangers offer a whimsical touch. The minibar, also contained in the closet, is well stocked. Among its offerings, I was shocked to find playing cards, candles, a backgammon board, and candy cigarettes in addition to the normal offerings! The room was not without fault, however. There was no view (nor daylight) to speak of, the touch-screen control panel rarely worked and the sleek, stainless steel sink in the bathroom is utterly impractical.

Directly adjacent to the lobby, one enters the iconic Lamb’s Club Restaurant. Once the most prestigious theatre club in Manhattan, the now-public restaurant is sophisticated and, rather surprisingly, simple. The walls and floors are painted black, so as not to distract from the centerpiece of the room: the original fireplace. Opposite it, a large portrait of nameless faces—presumably influential producers and actors far before my time—is carried around the border of the room by individual portraits of the original Lamb’s Club members. The custom benches from the lobby can be found once more in the restaurant—this time, finished in a bright red colour that lends an air of romance to the dark, intimate space.

Food and beverage service, sadly, was hit-or-miss. I thoroughly enjoyed all three breakfasts I had at the Lamb’s Club without fault. One evening, however, the dessert I ordered was substituted (without my consent, mind you) with an entirely different dessert that I did not like. The waitress apologized but charged me for the replacement as if it was what I ordered. Similarly, I ordered a club sandwich through in-room dining on a Sunday Afternoon. The club sandwich was listed on the “all-day menu,” but the person who took my order told me that the “all-day menu” wasn’t available on Sundays so I had to order something else. In short, the culinary team needs to provide greater flexibility at a hotel of this caliber, especially for such basic requests as chocolate chip cookies and a club sandwich.

My favorite amenity is the basement-level Red Door Spa. While I was sadly unable to get a spa appointment during my stay, I appreciated the modern fitness center and amazing current pool. While small, the area is rarely used by other guests and is such a rarity in Manhattan!

Overall, this Art Deco stunner is the best hotel I’ve found in New York. It’s excellent location, lavishly-appointed accommodations, and impressive staff are among its most impressive attributes. What I love most, however, is the fact that The Chatwal lets you forget that you are just one block from the epicenter of Times Square—arguably, the world’s largest, filthiest tourist trap—by transporting you back to a far more sophisticated era!

Room Tip: Rooms on the 7th floor have lovely outdoor terraces. They go for a premium, but it doesn't hurt...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank arlingtonman13
Axel_Fischer, Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you for your recent stay at The Chatwal and for taking the time to write such a thoughtful, eloquent review. We're sorry to hear that your trip was partially spoiled by rain, but thrilled that you were so taken with the atmosphere of our hotel, and that the details we put so much care into did not go unnoticed. As you noted, our attentive service and stunning architecture transport our guests to another era, and provide an oasis of calm in the center of a bustling city. We are so proud to hear that you will return for another visit soon.

Fort Bragg, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed here for five nights in early June and found the Chatwal to be just wonderful. It was close to all the plays we were there to see. Times Square, museums, parks, were all within walking distance. The staff was helpful and friendly. We have medical equipment needs and they went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed.
The room was small but it was so well layed out that it really did work.
Very quiet. No street noise. We could hear our neighbor but our schedules matched so it was never a bother.
We plan on coming here again.

Room Tip: If you want quiet the views are not that great (alley).
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Great location - if you are interested in theatre it couldn't be better. Very quaint but also contemporary at the same time. The staff are friendly and very helpful. Heated toilet seat was a favorite for the wife! It is a bit on the higher priced side but the room was large and surprisingly very quiet. Definitely worth considering a stay if you are looking for a nicer hotel

• Stayed August 2014
Dendermonde, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Very good hotel, excellent bathroom, domotica... and at walking distance from Times Square, central park, Empire state building, boat trip on the Hudson yo visit "Libery Island", "ground zero"... Close to Macy's, the famous "oyster bar" in the 42nd Grand Central

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank roger_flanders
Thank you for your recent stay at The Chatwal. As you noted, our fantastic Theatre District location allows our guests to easily visit many of New York's most popular attractions. We're happy to hear that you so thoroughly experienced NYC and enjoyed The Chatwal's accommodations and amenities in between sightseeing. We hope you will join us again next time you visit the area.

Newtown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

What makes this hotel wonderful is the art deco beauty with modern touches of the public and private spaces. It is convenient to the hustle and bustle of theater district and Times Square yet very tranquil inside. Finally what sets this property apart and makes it so special is the wonderful staff, Michael and Johan the doormen, Brandon and Manpreet our butlers, Tammy at the desk, and the concierge staff that took care of all of our requests. They make you feel like it is your home away from home.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in a perfect location for broadway and shopping. Upon arrival we were upgraded into room 709 that has a great patio with large table couch flowers. Hard to believe we were in NYC. Our personal butler Brandon went out of his way to see we had everything and was always correct and was interested on our show reviews. The front desk and room service was 6 star. We had dinner at the Lambs Club and I highly recommend the Lamb dish. Service was prompt and attentive and the music was great. The concierge was great with a small restaurant after the theater. MARIA PI was a great selection and the owner brought us Champaign for our anniversary. We saw Wicked. Kinky Boots and Beautiful!! If you have not seen them you are missing great theater. We look forward to a return to NYC and another stay at the Chatwal

Stayed August 2014
Happy anniversary! Thank you for choosing The Chatwal to celebrate your special occasion. We take great pride in our attentive and personalized service, and are happy to hear that Brandon made your stay so comfortable. As you noted, our location is perfect for Broadway lovers, and it's fantastic to hear you were able to enjoy several productions. Between dinner at The Lambs Club and the fabulous shopping, it sounds like you had the perfect New York City getaway. We hope you will join us again soon.