“Urban Glamour”

Ranked #38 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Miami Beach, Florida
“Urban Glamour”
Reviewed 25 October 2010

Would highly recommend staying here. I chose to stay at The Chatwal for a weekend (Fri-Sat) and while I had numerous daily activities going on in the city- it was amazing to come back to this incredible hotel: from the moment you arrive, to the friendly staff, the impeccable service, the incredible food and the glamorous bar. The room was so luxurious and comfortable that its now become "my only hotel to stay in" in NYC. Can't wait to return and attend some of the holiday festivities.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 October 2010

The hotel is absolutely beautiful and tastefully decorated. It's a mix of Great Gatsby style with embedded high-tech convenience. Everything from the automatic lighting control to the heated (and back lit) toilet seat was focused on comfort and style.

The location was fantastic. We opted for a romantic overnight date night less than an hour from home, and caught drinks and a fantastic meal in the hotel, a concert in SoHo and then a very late night comedy show in the Village, all within 15 minutes of the hotel. Although I had walked in the same neighborhood a hundred times for business meetings, it was a surreal experience to be lodged in luxury,within the same mid-town neighborhood. The rooms were well-insulated and quite.

The staff catered to our every need, and were extremely helpful and savvy about all things food and entertainment. Again, everything from the staff, the rooms and the food/bar was top shelf.

My wife and I would highly recommend the Chatwal anyone who wants a pleasurable and memorable business or leisure stay in the heart of NYC. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Burbank, California
Reviewed 23 October 2010

Over the past few years, I've had the opportunity to stay in the city for both business and pleasure (much more business than pleasure, and I usually can't wait to get home after a hectic work schedule). But I do try to discover something new with each trip, and this time, I found a GEM!! My colleague told me about The Chatwal... said it was a great location, and told me "you'll stay once and be hooked." Boy, was she right! When the cab pulled up, the doorman (gorgeous, impeccably dressed, with a bright smile) greeted me like he'd seen me before, almost a "welcome back', yet I'd never stayed before. The lobby of the hotel is hard to describe. Like a step back in time....retro, elegant and graceful. The front desk staff were equally as welcoming, and gave me a room on the 6th floor. I can say that these rooms are so very different from anything I had stayed in before. The lights automatically go from dim to bright as you enter, and all the noise of the city fades when the door closes behind you (almost like a sound proof booth... maybe its the sueded walls and leather closets...yes, that's right.. you have to feel it to believe it!). I usually have a hard time sleeping in the city, but between the quietness and the super-compfy bed, I was in heaven. The bathroom (my next favorite) was also incredible...a TV projected from behind the vanity mirror and well, heated toilet seats! Anyway, I stayed for two nights and on the last night, I heard they had a spa below the lobby, so my splurge of pleasure was on a facial with Liza. At a reasonable $175 for 60 minutes (I've paid over $250 for facials in the city), this was THE BEST I had ever had!! Afterwards, I got to steam in my private changing room, then hit the elevator up to my room (still in my robe). An incredible way to end my trip!! I WILL be back

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
New York City
Reviewed 1 October 2010

This hotel is like something out of a movie set - its beautiful and gleaming and just visually enticing in every way. The service was outstanding, the staff helped our family at every turn and couldn't have been more welcoming. The guest rooms are beautiful, lots of references to Broadway (think old movie posters from the 1950's) and Hollywood-esque vanity desks. Our favorite thing without a doubt was the breakfast though. Nectarine smoothies to die for. A real treat all round.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Oakland/San Francisco
Reviewed 25 September 2010

I recently traveled from San Francisco to Egypt, and spent two nights in New York at the Chatwal to break up the long flights. It was the perfect exclamation point to my expedition, and just what I needed to soften me up before spending a week cruising the Nile and pyramid-hopping across the Egyptian desert.

From the moment I walked in the beautifully polished, marble-floored lobby, it was clear that this was not just another swanky New York City hotel. My Stanford Guestroom was quiet and immaculate; the king-sized bed could have just as well been Cloud Nine, and the beautiful detailed fixtures and plush leather and suede- covered desk and walls were fit for a Nubian Queen. No detail was missed. Even the bathroom felt like an indulgence, as I'm still reeling from the raindrop shower, toto toilet (!!!), and in-mirror flat-screen television.

Moreover, each room is pampered with individual butler service, complimentary access to the hotel's private state-of-the-art gym, complimentary Wi-Fi service (AND a laptop, if needed), and a little spa oasis that could easily make you forget the city outside.
The city outside, however, is one of the best things about the Chatwal. Just steps from the heart of Times Square, my room quietly overlooked the hustle and bustle on 44th Street, and was a luxurious mix of urban access and elegant grandeur.

Perhaps the most lavishing detail of my experience was the outstanding service by the hotel staff. From the front desk, to the housekeeping staff, to the concierge, to the doormen... every individual I encountered had a bright, welcoming smile that made me feel as if I could have been the hotel's only guest. I was even left wanting to give special praise for Paolo, the front desk manager and his staffers Elizabeth and Louis for going what seemed like miles beyond the ordinary to make me feel like my every whim was a priority.
Thanks and glowing stars for the Chatwal, my new favorite hotel!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Keonnis
cork
Reviewed 21 September 2010

Fantastic rooms, beautiful hotel, excellent location, great service.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 September 2010

The attention to detail is that you don't see anymore in hotels. Leather door handles, suede lined walls, leather wrapped furniture, top hats.....its classic oasis in Midtown.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business