“Very snazzy for the price”

InterContinental New York Times Square
Ranked #170 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Walnut Creek, California
“Very snazzy for the price”
Reviewed 4 July 2011

I stayed for 4 nights after 4 nights at the nearby Hilton Garden Inn. Although the prices were pretty similar, this place is certainly quite swankier. As a Platinum Ambassador member, I checked in sitting down and was given a view room on the 17th floor (not high enough to see Central Park, though, as some others have commented on). Similarly to a number of other InterContinentals, this hotel's lobby and hallways are infused with floral scents such as lemmongrass. The room size was quite generous by Manhattan standards. Like many, but by no means not all, InterContinentals, this hotel offered free internet to Ambassador members. Unlike other reviewers, I had no problems at all with the internet, and it worked quite fast. A noisy shower door was quickly taken care of with one phone call. The rooms were quiet with respect to other hotel rooms or hallway noise, but there was actually more street noise from my 17th floor room than I had in my 12th floor room at the Hilton Garden Inn. The elevators were fast.
Some negative points, however. First, what's up with a purported luxury hotel having no pool, no hot tub, and no spa? Even the rooms had no bathtub, so there is nowhere to take a soak. The second negative point was that hot water was often a problem, especially when I had to get ready to go to my conference at the Javits Center. One morning my shower had to be quite bracing, in fact. Thirdly, the concierge I used was fairly useless. I wanted to ask her opinion about a restaurant I read about in Zagat, and she actually said "Put away your book. I have my own suggestions," then proceeded to give a few suggestions, none of which met my needs. I had to just go up to my room and do my own research on the internet. She seemed to have her own agenda and was either unwilling or unable to understand my goals.
That being said, I think this hotel was a very good value for what I paid. I don't think, however, I can classify this as the luxury hotel it purports to be with the limitations I mentioned. Also, although I didn't use the restaurant, the domestic partner with whom I traveled did, and he found the service brusque and the food lacking in quality and in temperature control (i.e. warm dishes not warm enough).

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank lebelgo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,269)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed 4 July 2011

I was not here for business so I cannot comment from that perspective; therefore, I had little use for wifi, which is not free. There is a charge for the minibar but there is a note on the minibar that clearly states you will be charged with a card nearby with prices. So if you don't want to be charged, don't touch! That simple.
We arrived at 11:30am and I asked if someone could hold my bags until checkin time. The front desk was very accommodating and polite and gave me a room on the 18th floor right away. They also gave me a 2:00 checkout time. We stayed there 5 nights and the room was immaculate. I did a thorough bedbug check with flashlight and hairdryer (mattress seams, behind pictures, baseboards, and nightstands), all clear. However, I cannot say that for the rest of Times Square. I wore Burt's Bees insect repellant everyday because there were reports of bedbugs in Times Square and didn't want to bring any back for future guests.
Beds are very comfortable. I typically do not sleep well outside of my home, but slept very well in this hotel every night.
I didn't eat at the restaurant in the hotel; I just bought coffee in the market downstairs. The Shake Shack has great burgers and ice cream (custard), but very crowded. Ellen's Stardust Diner is an experience!
Other than that, all hotel staff was very polite. They sent a piece of birthday cake for my son who was celebrating his 13th in NYC. My son also had to go to the hospital Monday night and the hotel manager came up to our room and walked us outside to get in the ambulance. The next day, he personally called to check on him and be sure he was okay.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank SCgirl_76
Napa, California
Reviewed 3 July 2011

The room was nice but they are skimpy on amenities. As a Royal Ambassador I normally would expect a lot more from an Intercontinental Hotel. I had a lot of internet problems which took my time, not enough hangers, a long time to get service, etc. Sure, nice room and good location but there are a lot of other expensive hotels all around Times Square.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank TravelAgent34
Reviewed 3 July 2011

This hotel is recently new which I value since it is always better to use a room that hans't been touched by thousands before you. The rooms are nice, clean and the space is acceptable. The location is OK if you are into theaters and times square area. I had a corner room located at the 23rd floor. The view was unremarkable. Office towers and old ugly buildings are all around this hotel. Some shady restaurants are near by. If you want the "times square experience" I would reccomend you to stay in a hotel just besides times square like the marriott marquis, otherwise I would stay in a hotel closer to midtown, like the plaza. I wouldnt pay more than $280 for a double room in this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Jgjyt
Exeter
Reviewed 2 July 2011

We stayed here for three nights before taking a cruise from New York. The location is just amazing - it is perfect for exploring mid Manhattan ( and further if in the mood ). 2 minutes stroll from theatres, restaurants and shops. Easy walking distance to to Central Park. Just 5 mins walk from 'Hells Kitchen' for even more choice of bars and eateries

Welcoming team at the door and on reception. Yes, bell boys do want to be tipped but this is America and you just get used to it ( in the UK we don't have a tipping culture so its does seem strange for a while !).

Room; We were given a room on the 5th floor. No view, but decent size,extremely quiet, spotlessly clean and very comfortable bedS......yes 2 doubles, when we had requested 1 kingsize ! This was disapointing, but as I had already been told that the hotel was near full, and we had spent all day travelling from the UK we (rightly or wrongly) just accepted this.

Be careful with the minibar AND the water/nuts on the desk top. Move them at your peril as you will be charged ! Not cheap - but, if you want to be lazy then $4 is what you will have to pay for a bottle of water!

Bar & lounge area; Very nice, amazing staff......so helpful and friendly. If you like cocktails then you will like the bar. NOTE; NY city Licence laws means the hotel bars close at midnight ! We did not eat at the restaurant as there are so many eateries so close to the hotel.

Overall. a lovely bright, clean hotel in a fantastic location. Would we stay there again ? most probably not as frankly we felt it is overpriced and not worth the money........plenty of other hotels nearby, but then as my review says, it really is location, location, location with this hotel.You pays your money and makes your choice !

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Edition10
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 1 July 2011

We were there for the first week of our honeymoon end of June - beginning of July.
We had a King bed Sky View on the 35th floor with an amazing view directing north with a distant view of Central Park.

Rooms are clean and well equiped,
location is central, but we would have preferred a little more towards 5th avenue because you always jeed to pass by Times Square (which we knew in advance),

but the best part of the hotel is the friendliness of the staff and especially of the concierge department with Kat Bride being an amazing help to anyone having questions about restaurants, bars, places to visit and things to do!

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Taylor1984
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 1 July 2011

This could have been a wonderful location...and unless the management starts taking complaints a little more serious....this hotel will never be anything special.
Pros:
Hotel is new and clean!
Bellman is helpful and polite
Superb location
Room was bigger than most NYC hotels I have stayed in
Beds were very comfortable

CONS:
Staff doesn't care about the customer. They are not helpful or even sincere.

Room didn't even have any shampoo or soap. Of course, while the water is running we realize this on our first night stay had not even been re-stocked. This is completely unexceptional in a hotel of this caliber.

Second night stay: cleaning staff still did not re-stock any of the disposable items. I felt like I was in a bad Seinfeld episode.... No soap for you! Had to call down yet again for shampoo. (front desk...didn't seem to even care)

Upon arriving to the hotel, the shower was not cleaned well. Hair in the shower from the previous guest.....Yuck!....room was clean, but the shower had not been cleaned for restocked. (2 days in a row)

The concierge were very busy and the advice they gave we found out later was not even good advice (per their other concierge on staff).

I was truly expecting this be a a top-notch hotel. And I feel it could be that....however, those types of things just shouldn't happen in a 4 star hotel. And if something does slip through the cracks, the management should bend over back-wards to make it right. If I spending $100 a night at a chain hotel, I wouldn't expect that....but I was spending a large amount of money at what is suppose to be a wonderful hotel. Intercontinental should be careful that this NYC intercontinental is giving them a bad name.

We ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant and food was ok...but after spending $80 on breakfast.....we found other places to eat since the location was so good.

Not sure if I would stay again...hopefully the staff will get their act together!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family