“pay a five star hotel for a three star return”

InterContinental New York Times Square
Ranked #173 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Hong Kong
“pay a five star hotel for a three star return”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

In the past 5-6 years, I have been staying in Intercontinental Bangkok and hotels of various ranking in a number of cities, including the renowned Japanese onsen residence, famous for service. New York is a city that I spend 4-5 days annually , in various seasons, except winter. What disappoint me most is what I get from Intercontinental Times Square.

Many Nos:
no porter ever look at me at the entrance and around the lift area though I carried two heavy baggage. They enjoyed chewing gums and talking among themselves.
no request from the check-in staff if I want help to carry the luggage to the room. (every time, porters in any hotel, big names or local one, in Japan and in Intercontinental Bangkok instantly come to my aid to take up even carry-on baggage) This is more like a college hall check-in than a 5 star hotel one. DIY.
No space in the fridge to cool even the smallest pack of fruit. It is mean to warn customers that any bottle moved out of the location for longer than 30 seconds would be considered sold.
no newspaper at the door - not so in Bangkok Intercontinental- You have to collect it yourself, and I had to ask. No info about complimentary newspaper in the lobby or during check-in
no sitting space in the lobby for meeting friends or wifi. Only ONE couch without back for a maximium of three available--a weird scene for a 5 star hotel. Even the Comfort Inn next door would have the ground floor open for sitting, after the breakfast time.
no proper hotel cafe available--a 5 star hotel should provide meal service of various levels and functions in three separate locations, not a compact one, combining bar, with lounge with dining tables, all in one place. How come that a hotel of this ranking would not have a cafe for breakfast and lunch. Co-share in hotel industry: a trend?
No welcome drink for members of loyalty; the Bangkok one does, and so are others because I have not joined any package tour in hotel accommodation.
No bath tub. This should be made it clear in the list of hotel amenities since some elderly prefer bath tub.

So much so about `nos`. When I pay more for a bigger name, I expect more, especially when I compare hotels of the same brand. How can the difference be that great? Dont tell me that `this is New York`; this is a devilish tone to scale down improvement. Those who give this excuse for discourses and faults and declining service and hygiene in the city should go and see for yourselved in any cities in Japan, especially Tokyo and see how clean and orderly a city of over 10 million populace is, and how alert the hotel staff is. If not Tokyo, go to witness and compare hospitality service standard in Bangkok. Complacency kills.

When I asked if I could have my check-out time extended beyond 1 p.m., a common grace offer I get in other Intercontinental, I was told that the hotel was quite full. Yes, my request was not confirmed in the same day, nor was it rejected. I understand that I was already given an hour extra, being a member, but would it be too abrupt as to tell me `you are already given an hour. You have to leave in 20 minutes time, if not the extra day rate would be credited to your account.` I have a strong feeling that I am to be deported, or summoned to leave office in an unannounced lay off.
I pay half , and I can stay in the Comfort Inn opposite this high-riser hotel. Nevertheless, I was only given a lower level room on top of the entrance awning, facing the street, though `I received thanks from another check-out lady for being `a loyal member of the hotel`. She spoke with great modesty and concern and her sweet apology and explanation let me leave the hotel with comfort and at peace. She even asked me to go back to the room to take a shower before I left. I did no wrong. My mistake is to take a grace offer for granted, but I should not be told to leave in 20 minutes. By the way, I stayed for 5 nights in this 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: pay more and ask for a corner room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank broke05
Executive Offic... ., Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. We sincerely apologize that your recent stay did not live up to the InterContinental standard. This is certainly not the experience that we strive for, and we will share your comments with our Executive Team, so that we can continue to improve our services and amenities. We do welcome you to reach out to us the next time that you travel to New York City, so that we may ensure we not only meet, but exceed, your expectations.

executiveoffice@icnyts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,253)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The location is close to everything for walking, but it is a little noisy. I would have thought better windows would solve that. Anyway in New York you expect noise. Restaurant was fine. People were nice. Concierge managed good tickets to Book of Mormon. Fun.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tim H
Dear Tim H.:

Thank you for your great review! We are thrilled to hear that our concierge team were able to get those coveted tickets for you! While our central location is quite bustling,we do aim to provide a quiet oasis for our guests. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Nebraska
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I really enjoyed this hotel. I am a Platinum member with IHG, and they were able to accommodate an early check in for me (very much appreciated after a long flight). They were also able to status upgrade me to a room facing Times Square which was very nice. The service is second to none. If you are willing to pay a little more to stay here, I would very highly recommend it. Thank you for making my latest trip to NYC an enjoyable one!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank TJ F
Executive Offic... ., Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Traveler1Nebraska:

Thank you for being a loyal IHG Rewards Platinum Member, and for your 5-star review! We know that discerning travelers like yourself have a myriad of options when it comes to luxury hotels in New York City, and we are delighted to be your hotel of choice. We look forward to your next stay with us.

London
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel in time square has amazing views of the city from rooms on the highest floors. The staff are so polite and the concierge staff are very helpful. This hotel even has a Todd English restaurant and the food is delicious. I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel.

Stayed May 2014
2 Thank deancraigwolman
Dear Deancraigwolman:

Thank you for your rave review! We appreciate your kind words regarding our views, cuisine, and service. We will be sure to share your words with our team. Thank you for taking time to post about your stay, and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Very convenient location with two minute walk to Times Sq. Subway entrance is right next to the hotel entrance. Lots of restaurants and shops nearby.
Front desk is very friendly and helpful. Got upgraded to 29th floor for free. The view is very nice too.
Highly recommended

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Joyceqbo
Dear Joyceqbo:

Thank you for your 5-star review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our central location and friendly service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Good service attitude. Lots of space. Surprisingly quiet and comfortable. We usually stick with the Hampton Inn because it is consistent--this was better. On a busy day, dealing with jet-lagged tourists, the desk worked to get us in our room early. Thanks!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Executive Offic... ., Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Virginian52:

Thank you for your great review! We are delighted that our friendly team members made your visit a memorable one. We appreciate your taking time to post about your stay, and we hope to welcome you back soon!

San Jose, California
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

I moved from my normal choice right in Times Square to the Intercontinental on a recent stay for business. The location is excellent as it is off the noise and bustle of Times Square and still very close. Also close to 9th and Hells Kitchen where there are many
restaurants. The hotel is nicely done, service was good. Not great, good. The rooms were clean other than some mold in the shower (unacceptable for a hotel in this class). Only a few minor issues, I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank CaliforniaBrad
Dear CaliforniaBrad:

Thank you for choosing the InterContinental New York Times Square for your recent stay! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location. We thank you for letting us know about the shower, as we agree that this is unacceptable, and will be sure to revisit our training standards. We hope to welcome you back soon!