“Excellent choice in a Perfect NYC Location”

InterContinental New York Times Square
Ranked #182 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Location- The Intercontinental Times Square is located in a perfect location for theatre and Times Square, just on the border of Hell’s Kitchen. The area is full of restaurants, bars, nightlife, and shopping. The nearest subway station is literally right under the hotel and the Grey Line tour office (hop on, hop off) is just a few short blocks away.

Hotel – The hotel is less than five years old, and is decorated in a contemporary, soothing manner. There are several meeting rooms and ballroom, and the hotel caters to a mix of leisure and business travellers.

Room – We (family of 8) stayed in a Manhattan Suite, which featured a full king bedroom plus den, along with a large sitting area with a dining table for 8. The room and bathrooms were excellent, plenty of space and equipped with the latest technology.

Facilities – Excellent health club (but no pool), Business Center which allowed for printing, faxing, etc. There were a few annoying charges (a fee for printing, for example, although printing boarding passes is free).

Dining – Todd English’s Ca Va restaurant and lounge are located on site and both are excellent. The lounge is full both pre-and post theatre. Room service was very good.

Staff – We had a mixup with our reservation, and the staff went out of their way to make things right. Every staff member we encountered was helpful and polite.

Overall – I would recommend this hotel highly to anyone visiting New York for business or leisure.

Room Tip: Great views of the Hudson River from rooms facing west.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank B_and_N_and_5_kids
Executive Offic... ., Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear B_and_N_and_5_kids:

Thank you for your 5-star review! We are delighted that you and your family had a memorable stay, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel July 3 - July 7. We had a corner view room with two large windows on the 20th floor. Hotel was nice nothing very special. Front desk people where nice and it helped to be a member got free internet and late check out with no problem. Door guys will try and get you to use private car instead of taxi didn't trust it just use taxi will be $40-50 to airport. There is a shake shack at the bottom of hotel but it is very busy. Also the subway is right under hotel as well so very convenient to get around. Overall no complaints but is a very busy location, times square is one block east, hells kitchen one block west, and there is a great breakfast diner on 9th and 44th with great prices.

Room Tip: Corner room view is nice with big windows.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank loredoarturo

Dear Loredoarturo:

Thank you for your great review! We are so glad you enjoyed our location, service, and city views. We do apologize about the door service, and we will follow up accordingly. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

This InterContinental is located in the Times Square area close to the theater district and Hell's Kitchen .

The staff is friendly and the rooms are nice but we would have preferred a little more space.

Great selection of restaurants within walking distance in the Hell's Kitchen area .

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear YCP:

Thank you for posting about your recent stay! We are delighted that you enjoyed our charming neighborhood and friendly service. You may wish to consider one of our Studio Suites for your next stay - these luxurious rooms are over 200 square feet larger than our standard rooms! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Times Square is great if you love the bustle. And we do. In which case you cannot beat the location. The Intercontinental is right in the middle of all the action. Of course the area is 'touristy', but that's perfect…if you are a tourist!
A friend and I stayed here for two days. And in those two days we managed to see Matilda and Les Miserables. Both of which were walking distance. I've always thought it best to buy tickets at the theatre venue, so being so close by really helped.
We also loved the fact that we could walk by to Donahue's for a post dinner drink. Which turned to many, after which, we had the most delicious pizza at the pizza parlor one block away from the hotel.
The room was large enough, as was the bathroom, and there were yummy toiletries.
My flight was much later than my check out time and the staff were most helpful when I stored my luggage in the hotel locker room and kept coming back to access it through the day.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear AartiSethiKhanna:

Thank you for your great review! We are so glad you had a great stay here in Midtown and that you got to explore our wonderful neighborhood. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I would personally like to thank the entire housekeeping team comprising our Room Attendants: Tenzin Chodon & Tsering Lhamo + the Housekeeping Supervisors: Diogenes Borges & Sandra Diaz. They looked after us very well and went out of their way to help me pack some important samples in cartons all in a jiffy just before check-out!
Also a special thank you to Ms. Sonia Benavides the Concierge for getting us great front row seats at the Broadway musical 'Kinky Boots'
Great stuff guys and can't wait to be back!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Executive Offic... ., Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Dan P.:

Thank you for your 5-star review! We greatly appreciate your kind words about Tenzin, Tsering, Diogenes, Sandra, and Sonia. They are all wonderfully dedicated team members who will be delighted to hear your comments! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

In the past 5-6 years, I have been staying in Intercontinental Bangkok and hotels of various ranking in a number of cities, including the renowned Japanese onsen residence, famous for service. New York is a city that I spend 4-5 days annually , in various seasons, except winter. What disappoint me most is what I get from Intercontinental Times Square.

Many Nos:
no porter ever look at me at the entrance and around the lift area though I carried two heavy baggage. They enjoyed chewing gums and talking among themselves.
no request from the check-in staff if I want help to carry the luggage to the room. (every time, porters in any hotel, big names or local one, in Japan and in Intercontinental Bangkok instantly come to my aid to take up even carry-on baggage) This is more like a college hall check-in than a 5 star hotel one. DIY.
No space in the fridge to cool even the smallest pack of fruit. It is mean to warn customers that any bottle moved out of the location for longer than 30 seconds would be considered sold.
no newspaper at the door - not so in Bangkok Intercontinental- You have to collect it yourself, and I had to ask. No info about complimentary newspaper in the lobby or during check-in
no sitting space in the lobby for meeting friends or wifi. Only ONE couch without back for a maximium of three available--a weird scene for a 5 star hotel. Even the Comfort Inn next door would have the ground floor open for sitting, after the breakfast time.
no proper hotel cafe available--a 5 star hotel should provide meal service of various levels and functions in three separate locations, not a compact one, combining bar, with lounge with dining tables, all in one place. How come that a hotel of this ranking would not have a cafe for breakfast and lunch. Co-share in hotel industry: a trend?
No welcome drink for members of loyalty; the Bangkok one does, and so are others because I have not joined any package tour in hotel accommodation.
No bath tub. This should be made it clear in the list of hotel amenities since some elderly prefer bath tub.

So much so about `nos`. When I pay more for a bigger name, I expect more, especially when I compare hotels of the same brand. How can the difference be that great? Dont tell me that `this is New York`; this is a devilish tone to scale down improvement. Those who give this excuse for discourses and faults and declining service and hygiene in the city should go and see for yourselved in any cities in Japan, especially Tokyo and see how clean and orderly a city of over 10 million populace is, and how alert the hotel staff is. If not Tokyo, go to witness and compare hospitality service standard in Bangkok. Complacency kills.

When I asked if I could have my check-out time extended beyond 1 p.m., a common grace offer I get in other Intercontinental, I was told that the hotel was quite full. Yes, my request was not confirmed in the same day, nor was it rejected. I understand that I was already given an hour extra, being a member, but would it be too abrupt as to tell me `you are already given an hour. You have to leave in 20 minutes time, if not the extra day rate would be credited to your account.` I have a strong feeling that I am to be deported, or summoned to leave office in an unannounced lay off.
I pay half , and I can stay in the Comfort Inn opposite this high-riser hotel. Nevertheless, I was only given a lower level room on top of the entrance awning, facing the street, though `I received thanks from another check-out lady for being `a loyal member of the hotel`. She spoke with great modesty and concern and her sweet apology and explanation let me leave the hotel with comfort and at peace. She even asked me to go back to the room to take a shower before I left. I did no wrong. My mistake is to take a grace offer for granted, but I should not be told to leave in 20 minutes. By the way, I stayed for 5 nights in this 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: pay more and ask for a corner room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank broke05
Executive Offic... ., Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. We sincerely apologize that your recent stay did not live up to the InterContinental standard. This is certainly not the experience that we strive for, and we will share your comments with our Executive Team, so that we can continue to improve our services and amenities. We do welcome you to reach out to us the next time that you travel to New York City, so that we may ensure we not only meet, but exceed, your expectations.

executiveoffice@icnyts.com

Reviewed 6 July 2014

The location is close to everything for walking, but it is a little noisy. I would have thought better windows would solve that. Anyway in New York you expect noise. Restaurant was fine. People were nice. Concierge managed good tickets to Book of Mormon. Fun.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tim H

Dear Tim H.:

Thank you for your great review! We are thrilled to hear that our concierge team were able to get those coveted tickets for you! While our central location is quite bustling,we do aim to provide a quiet oasis for our guests. We hope to welcome you back soon.