“Drastic reduction in customer service”

InterContinental New York Times Square
Ranked #173 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I am about to compare to last year customer service...for a platinum member!
Last year excellent front desk customer service, no waiting time to check in, received room automatic upgrade, free breakfast credit for being a platinum member!
This year, I was 2nd in line, 10 minutes wait to get front desk service (while front desk personnel walking by and ignoring us...I'm guessing 2 guests in line is no big deal!); I arrived around 10AM, I had to ask for upgrade...first I was told that there is no availability, so I asked "how about breakfast?" Sorry your reservation does not include breakfast...I said "last time I got free breakfast!"...sorry I can't do that said the attendant...I asked to speak to the manager...the lady manager told me, sorry you can't get an upgrade for this reservation...I said that I was told that you have no availability...which one is it? She said for your reservation you can't get upgrade...but you can get 600 IHG points or $15 dollars credit for your mini bar...(M&M candy cost $5!)...I told her I may cancel the reservation...I'll come back later!
Unfortunately, I found out later the reservation can not be canceled!
I can back to the hotel around 3PM, still long wait to check in...only this time there was no line...I read the list of benefits for Platinum member..."complimentary upgrade to an executive accommodation on higher floor at check-in (subject to availability)" I booked a deluxe room with king bed, and that's what I got! No upgrade! I called to notify the General Manager(GM) to notify them that I will not be able to rate the overall as "excellent", as suggested on the platinum member reward benefit...the hotel receptionist picked up the phone to tell me that the GM was busy with other guest and he will call me back...he never called me back!
The next morning before heading for breakfast, I asked to speak to the GM...but in his place came the same lady manager that was not able to do anything the day before...and could not do anything now...suggested to give me a phone number or email contact...
In my opinion the reception of the hotel is the most important "first impression" of the hotel! Something that was very disappointing this time around! It just shows how important is the frond desk crew attitude!!! I will not go back there!

Stayed: July 2014
Executive Offic... ., Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Bewell4you:

Thank you for being a loyal Platinum IHG Rewards member. We are sorry to hear that your recent stay did not meet your expectations. Your feedback is important to us, and will be shared with our Executive Team so that we may continue to improve our services. If you would like to further discuss your experience, we welcome you to contact us at the email address noted below.

executiveoffice@icnyts.com

Write a ReviewReviews (5,639)

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Intercontinental is very good hotel with a very friendly staff in particularly the maid who's called Solemny who does a very good job. We're very satisfied of her work. The hotel would be excellent if there would be more attraction (the hotel does not have any swimming pool). Anyway, Intercontinental is a very goog hotel to stay in.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Executive Offic... ., Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Soso R:

Thank you for your great review! We are thrilled to hear that Solemny's attention to detail made your stay a memorable one. We appreciate your recommendation, and hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Our family of 4 stayed 6 nights in NYC after two weeks in Europe and what makes this a memorable stay was the service staff - from the reception (two lovely ladies - Latoya and Irene Koranteng) to the concierge (Adrian), the bell service and the door man - they made the difference because of their fabulous service. Bellman Charles found out that it was our 14th wedding anniversary and sent up champagne and chocolate strawberries! Doorman Bert gave plenty of helpful dining suggestions which made breakfast, lunch and dinner delightful especially when one is spoilt for choice in The Big Apple.

The 4-year old hotel is centrally located and a few blocks from Times Square, the theatre district and plenty of eateries. The rooms were well-sized and the bathroom was certainly bigger than its sister hotel in Vienna! In all, an extremely enjoyable stay since everyone made us feel very much at home.

Room Tip: The higher floors give you an excellent view of the Manhattan skyline
1  Thank LenaYong

Dear LenaYong:

Thank you so much for choosing the InterContinental New York Times Square for your recent anniversary! We believe that our staff is the best around, and we are delighted that you agree. We will be sure to share your accolades with LaToya, Irene, Adrian, Charles, Bert, and all of our team. We appreciate your taking time to post about your stay, and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I booked this hotel for a birthday weekend arriving in a happy mood to check-in, I was quickly disappointed to the point that I canceled all plans for the evening of the check-in day.

Check-in: Line of 4 guests when we arrived. Guests at counter were checking out and seem to have segnificant concerns regarding what the hotel billed them. but the time another agent came to check-in counter the line had over10 ppl waiting including us.

Check-in agent refused any government ID except something that has driver's licence number and date of birth. I was concerned with the request and asked for front office manager. She was rude and was making condescending remarks. I asked to see the general manager or another staff that represents the hotel in similar capacity. She went back for 30 minutes and came out stating that the management is busy and said that she will cancel my reservation if I don't agree with her.
I politely responded that under the privacy act, an institution is limited to only collecting information that is needed for the service it provides and must be able to justify the need for that particular information. Especially when I offered them other government IDs. Her response was (quote): "Are you insinuating that we might misuse your information??? wait I will get someone to come talk to you.." in a threatening tone.
Assistant-Director of rooms came out. I explained the situation to her and stated my concerns and asked to justify the need for such private information. Her response was different, she stated that the hotel does not need such information and any government issued ID will suffice. I offered her an ID that had my birthdate but not driver's licence information and she had no problem checkin me in. She also stated that the hotel should not photocopy or write down any of that information at check-in.

She offered me 2 rooms and asked if the first room wasn't to my liking, she will change it to the 2nd. She offered to have the bellman take the luggage to the room. she spoke with him and indicated that if I preferred to selfpark, she can direct me to the hotel-self-park arranged parking. I took her directions and they were wrong. Turned out that property was actually in-front of the hotel. I assumed it's an honest mistake.

Luggage taken out of the car, all the bags on the sidewalk and the bellman is standing at the door not even offering anyhelp . We had clothes on hangers and were concerned about putting them on the sidewalk. Standing there with the clothes in our hand for 3 minutes, the bellman doesn't seem to car. I got upset and put them back in the car and decided to take them in myself. Only then the valet staff were offering the bellman's help to take them to the room. I declined.

Got to the room, it wasn't adequate and decided to take the second room. took over an hour despite informing them that I needed to attend a conference call. I barely made it. and asked for the director of rooms to contact me in the afternoon or thereafter.

I put the "do-not-disturb" sign as I was in a conference call. Just to be interrupted by loud knocks on the door. When opened, it was a bellman that stated it was the wrong room.

It's the morning time now and I'm still waiting for the call from someone that never came.

Fair to say that the stay is disappointing to say the least.

Room Tip: try to take a high room. we are in a very high room and there is still noise at night.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank medster-R

Dear Medster-R:

We are terribly sorry that your recent stay fell far below expectations. While our check-in policy is here for our guests' safety and security, we clearly could have handled the situation in a more tactful manner. We appreciate your constructive feedback, and will review your comments with our Executive Team. We look forward to the opportunity to reafffirm your faith in our hotel.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Location- The Intercontinental Times Square is located in a perfect location for theatre and Times Square, just on the border of Hell’s Kitchen. The area is full of restaurants, bars, nightlife, and shopping. The nearest subway station is literally right under the hotel and the Grey Line tour office (hop on, hop off) is just a few short blocks away.

Hotel – The hotel is less than five years old, and is decorated in a contemporary, soothing manner. There are several meeting rooms and ballroom, and the hotel caters to a mix of leisure and business travellers.

Room – We (family of 8) stayed in a Manhattan Suite, which featured a full king bedroom plus den, along with a large sitting area with a dining table for 8. The room and bathrooms were excellent, plenty of space and equipped with the latest technology.

Facilities – Excellent health club (but no pool), Business Center which allowed for printing, faxing, etc. There were a few annoying charges (a fee for printing, for example, although printing boarding passes is free).

Dining – Todd English’s Ca Va restaurant and lounge are located on site and both are excellent. The lounge is full both pre-and post theatre. Room service was very good.

Staff – We had a mixup with our reservation, and the staff went out of their way to make things right. Every staff member we encountered was helpful and polite.

Overall – I would recommend this hotel highly to anyone visiting New York for business or leisure.

Room Tip: Great views of the Hudson River from rooms facing west.
1  Thank B_and_N_and_5_kids
Executive Offic... ., Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear B_and_N_and_5_kids:

Thank you for your 5-star review! We are delighted that you and your family had a memorable stay, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel July 3 - July 7. We had a corner view room with two large windows on the 20th floor. Hotel was nice nothing very special. Front desk people where nice and it helped to be a member got free internet and late check out with no problem. Door guys will try and get you to use private car instead of taxi didn't trust it just use taxi will be $40-50 to airport. There is a shake shack at the bottom of hotel but it is very busy. Also the subway is right under hotel as well so very convenient to get around. Overall no complaints but is a very busy location, times square is one block east, hells kitchen one block west, and there is a great breakfast diner on 9th and 44th with great prices.

Room Tip: Corner room view is nice with big windows.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank loredoarturo

Dear Loredoarturo:

Thank you for your great review! We are so glad you enjoyed our location, service, and city views. We do apologize about the door service, and we will follow up accordingly. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

This InterContinental is located in the Times Square area close to the theater district and Hell's Kitchen .

The staff is friendly and the rooms are nice but we would have preferred a little more space.

Great selection of restaurants within walking distance in the Hell's Kitchen area .

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear YCP:

Thank you for posting about your recent stay! We are delighted that you enjoyed our charming neighborhood and friendly service. You may wish to consider one of our Studio Suites for your next stay - these luxurious rooms are over 200 square feet larger than our standard rooms! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.