“Good decision here”

GreenLeadersGold level
Woodbridge, Virginia
“Good decision here”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We were in town for a convention at the Javits Center and decided to make the splurge and stay at the InterContinental. I made the reservation through IHG and was very impressed when I received an email from the Concierge (female) asking if there was anything special she could do. I mentioned it was our anniversary. When we arrived we were upgraded ( I am Platinum member) to top floor beautiful King Room. We were so happy and the rooms are beautiful as well. Great bathroom area and honor fridge as well. A knock came at the door, a beautiful bottle of Champagne compliments of the hotel and concierge! WOW. The staff is exceptional and very courteous! Only problem was the keys kept not working and I was not the only guest asking for new keys. Small issue only. Stay here when you want to be close to Broadway! Go off Broadway to 10th street for all the great restaurants!

Room Tip: I would park across the street at the lot, the valet is very expensive and the lot very affordable...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Executive Offic... ., Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Vikes57:

Thank you for your rave review! We are so glad our concierge could make your anniversary extra-special. We appreciate your recommendation, and hope to welcome you back soon.

Executive Office

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,252)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Houma, Louisiana
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The staff of the Intercontinental are the most friendly and helpful people I have every met. Charles, the bellman, helped us navigate the subway and took extra care of our luggage. When I had trouble with one boarding pass Lesley , the concierge, called my airline to take care of the problem. When we needed a cab Santiago was always there to help. The room size was large compared to other hotels. The hotel is close to the theater district, Time Square and great restaurants. This was my fourth trip to NYC and the intercontinental exceeded all of my expectations in every category. We are making plans to stay there for our trip next summer.

1 Thank Kitcat4809
Dear Kitcat4809:

Thank you for your 5-star review! Lesley, Santiago, and Charles are superstars, and we are delighted to hear that they made your stay memorable! We know that discerning travelers like yourself have a myriad of choices when it comes to New York City luxury hotels, and we are honored to be your choice. We eagerly await your next visit!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Great staff! Was greeted with a nice smile and greeting by Vladamir who helped unload our car.
Christol at the Ambassador desk was charming and upon learning I booked four rooms for a Navy reunion made a special effort to make sure all rooms were close to each other and with good views.
Most amazing of all- both Vladamir and Christol addressed me by name for both days of our stay.
Will definitely stay here again.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Executive Offic... ., Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your 5-star review! We are so glad that you chose the InterContinental New York Times Square for your recent reunion, and we thrilled to hear that Christol and Vladamir helped to make your stay memorable. We appreciate your taking time to post about your stay, and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I am about to compare to last year customer service...for a platinum member!
Last year excellent front desk customer service, no waiting time to check in, received room automatic upgrade, free breakfast credit for being a platinum member!
This year, I was 2nd in line, 10 minutes wait to get front desk service (while front desk personnel walking by and ignoring us...I'm guessing 2 guests in line is no big deal!); I arrived around 10AM, I had to ask for upgrade...first I was told that there is no availability, so I asked "how about breakfast?" Sorry your reservation does not include breakfast...I said "last time I got free breakfast!"...sorry I can't do that said the attendant...I asked to speak to the manager...the lady manager told me, sorry you can't get an upgrade for this reservation...I said that I was told that you have no availability...which one is it? She said for your reservation you can't get upgrade...but you can get 600 IHG points or $15 dollars credit for your mini bar...(M&M candy cost $5!)...I told her I may cancel the reservation...I'll come back later!
Unfortunately, I found out later the reservation can not be canceled!
I can back to the hotel around 3PM, still long wait to check in...only this time there was no line...I read the list of benefits for Platinum member..."complimentary upgrade to an executive accommodation on higher floor at check-in (subject to availability)" I booked a deluxe room with king bed, and that's what I got! No upgrade! I called to notify the General Manager(GM) to notify them that I will not be able to rate the overall as "excellent", as suggested on the platinum member reward benefit...the hotel receptionist picked up the phone to tell me that the GM was busy with other guest and he will call me back...he never called me back!
The next morning before heading for breakfast, I asked to speak to the GM...but in his place came the same lady manager that was not able to do anything the day before...and could not do anything now...suggested to give me a phone number or email contact...
In my opinion the reception of the hotel is the most important "first impression" of the hotel! Something that was very disappointing this time around! It just shows how important is the frond desk crew attitude!!! I will not go back there!

Stayed July 2014
Dear Bewell4you:

Thank you for being a loyal Platinum IHG Rewards member. We are sorry to hear that your recent stay did not meet your expectations. Your feedback is important to us, and will be shared with our Executive Team so that we may continue to improve our services. If you would like to further discuss your experience, we welcome you to contact us at the email address noted below.

executiveoffice@icnyts.com
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Intercontinental is very good hotel with a very friendly staff in particularly the maid who's called Solemny who does a very good job. We're very satisfied of her work. The hotel would be excellent if there would be more attraction (the hotel does not have any swimming pool). Anyway, Intercontinental is a very goog hotel to stay in.

Dear Soso R:

Thank you for your great review! We are thrilled to hear that Solemny's attention to detail made your stay a memorable one. We appreciate your recommendation, and hope to welcome you back soon.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Our family of 4 stayed 6 nights in NYC after two weeks in Europe and what makes this a memorable stay was the service staff - from the reception (two lovely ladies - Latoya and Irene Koranteng) to the concierge (Adrian), the bell service and the door man - they made the difference because of their fabulous service. Bellman Charles found out that it was our 14th wedding anniversary and sent up champagne and chocolate strawberries! Doorman Bert gave plenty of helpful dining suggestions which made breakfast, lunch and dinner delightful especially when one is spoilt for choice in The Big Apple.

The 4-year old hotel is centrally located and a few blocks from Times Square, the theatre district and plenty of eateries. The rooms were well-sized and the bathroom was certainly bigger than its sister hotel in Vienna! In all, an extremely enjoyable stay since everyone made us feel very much at home.

Room Tip: The higher floors give you an excellent view of the Manhattan skyline
1 Thank LenaYong
Dear LenaYong:

Thank you so much for choosing the InterContinental New York Times Square for your recent anniversary! We believe that our staff is the best around, and we are delighted that you agree. We will be sure to share your accolades with LaToya, Irene, Adrian, Charles, Bert, and all of our team. We appreciate your taking time to post about your stay, and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I booked this hotel for a birthday weekend arriving in a happy mood to check-in, I was quickly disappointed to the point that I canceled all plans for the evening of the check-in day.

Check-in: Line of 4 guests when we arrived. Guests at counter were checking out and seem to have segnificant concerns regarding what the hotel billed them. but the time another agent came to check-in counter the line had over10 ppl waiting including us.

Check-in agent refused any government ID except something that has driver's licence number and date of birth. I was concerned with the request and asked for front office manager. She was rude and was making condescending remarks. I asked to see the general manager or another staff that represents the hotel in similar capacity. She went back for 30 minutes and came out stating that the management is busy and said that she will cancel my reservation if I don't agree with her.
I politely responded that under the privacy act, an institution is limited to only collecting information that is needed for the service it provides and must be able to justify the need for that particular information. Especially when I offered them other government IDs. Her response was (quote): "Are you insinuating that we might misuse your information??? wait I will get someone to come talk to you.." in a threatening tone.
Assistant-Director of rooms came out. I explained the situation to her and stated my concerns and asked to justify the need for such private information. Her response was different, she stated that the hotel does not need such information and any government issued ID will suffice. I offered her an ID that had my birthdate but not driver's licence information and she had no problem checkin me in. She also stated that the hotel should not photocopy or write down any of that information at check-in.

She offered me 2 rooms and asked if the first room wasn't to my liking, she will change it to the 2nd. She offered to have the bellman take the luggage to the room. she spoke with him and indicated that if I preferred to selfpark, she can direct me to the hotel-self-park arranged parking. I took her directions and they were wrong. Turned out that property was actually in-front of the hotel. I assumed it's an honest mistake.

Luggage taken out of the car, all the bags on the sidewalk and the bellman is standing at the door not even offering anyhelp . We had clothes on hangers and were concerned about putting them on the sidewalk. Standing there with the clothes in our hand for 3 minutes, the bellman doesn't seem to car. I got upset and put them back in the car and decided to take them in myself. Only then the valet staff were offering the bellman's help to take them to the room. I declined.

Got to the room, it wasn't adequate and decided to take the second room. took over an hour despite informing them that I needed to attend a conference call. I barely made it. and asked for the director of rooms to contact me in the afternoon or thereafter.

I put the "do-not-disturb" sign as I was in a conference call. Just to be interrupted by loud knocks on the door. When opened, it was a bellman that stated it was the wrong room.

It's the morning time now and I'm still waiting for the call from someone that never came.

Fair to say that the stay is disappointing to say the least.

Room Tip: try to take a high room. we are in a very high room and there is still noise at night.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank medster-R
Dear Medster-R:

We are terribly sorry that your recent stay fell far below expectations. While our check-in policy is here for our guests' safety and security, we clearly could have handled the situation in a more tactful manner. We appreciate your constructive feedback, and will review your comments with our Executive Team. We look forward to the opportunity to reafffirm your faith in our hotel.