“Absolutely ravaged by Bed Bugs!”

InterContinental New York Times Square
Ranked #172 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 January 2011

This was our first visit to New York and we stayed here between the dates of 24th and 28th of December and we stayed in a King Sky Room. Upon our initial arrival we were struck by the design, cleanliness and plushness of the place. The view was also great. The location is very central if you like that sort of thing (within walking distance to the hustle and bustle of Times Square - two blocks away).

After the first night my wife had came down with a number of rashes, I was strarting to feel a bit 'itchy' and noticed a few red marks on my body, night by night the itching was getting worse. It never occurred to us that this £350 a night would have bed bugs! It was only on the final night where the penny dropped and at 4.30am when we were rushing out to to go to the airport that we saw the bloated red bugs crawling around the covers (makes my skin crawl thinking about it again), in a rush I took a couple of photo's on my iphone (please see photos) and whilst rushing out for our taxi to the airport I mentioned to the person at the reception desk that there were bed bugs in our room I also showed him the photo's he assured me he'd investigate and call me back on the details I gave… no response..

Fast forwards 3 weeks and after a number of emails back and forth with the management (Drew Schlesinger - General Manager for the hotel - who to be fair to him has been very friendly and has apologised for the ordeal) the Hotel are refusing to offer a refund despite the photo's clearly showing them in their room and a doctors report for the bites and rashes (I just wish I'd not rushed out - we had a flight to catch and a car was waiting for us - and showed the onsite manager the bed bugs in the flesh). They are instead proposing that we deal with an external insurance company based in New Jersey on their behalf! Unbelievable service!! Not only was our holiday ruined but now we also need to deal with an external insurance company to have any chance of getting a reimbursement. :(

Aside from the bed bugs and resultant ruined holiday, on a daily basis apart from the bed the rest of the room was not really cleaned in any way apart from the bed and taking the towels away - perhaps this was due to the snow conditions and staff could not get in to work - regardless it was very poor. Add that to the fact that in such a high end hotel you still have to pay for jumping on the wifi and to the fact that you get charged extortionate amounts for eating (what we thought were complimentary) m&m's and nuts left out on the table each morning - £92 for each day! £180 odd pounds for eating some m&m's and nuts that we thought were complimentary!!?? Crazy. If you do stay here make a mental note not to touch the nuts and chocolates that are left in that tray. Even though they look like they are complimentary they are soooooo not.

Aside from the shambolic experience we had in this hotel in future I think we will pursue a hotel not so squarely in the tourist trap area of Times Square. Areas like Greenwich and Tribeca appealed to us a lot more once we'd had a chance to explore a little bit around.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
38  Thank UberSleeper9
Write a ReviewReviews (5,578)

Reviewed 14 January 2011

Stayed here 4 days in August 2010 and had no problems at all. The hotel is relatively new and looks/feels it. Rooms are tastefully appointed and large by NYC standards. Bathroom was very nice with huge walk-in shower. Comfy beds/linens and excellent climate control. Good closet space, toiletries, robes, slippers, etc. We had a front facing room (on 44th St.) and were initially concerned about potential street noise, but experienced none at all. The windows were virtually sound proof even to sirens with good black-out curtains. The windows do open (partially) and even then street noise was minimal. Interior noise was also very minimal with the exception of the occasional rude guest yelling in the corridor which is clearly not the hotel’s fault.

While the hotel is 36 floors, it’s very narrow with only a handful of rooms on each floor so it still feels intimate. Advertised as Times Square, it’s really situated about 2-3 blocks east of the heart of Times Square which was perfect for me away from the chaos, noise, blinding 24 hour neon and tourists from the flyover states. Hell’s Kitchen is a couple blocks away so good “neighborhood” restaurants are easily accessible. Subway station is on the same block as hotel so nearly every train is immediately accessible to anywhere in Manhattan. Staff was very friendly and courteous including the front desk, door men, housekeeping and especially the concierge who went above and beyond making calls and getting reservations for everything from restaurants to the Statue of Liberty. I’d totally stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank J from the Bay
Reviewed 14 January 2011

We stayed at the Intercontinental Times Square for three nights between Christmas and New Year's Day. The location is excellent if you want to be near the theaters, lots of restaurants, pubs and bars. It is about a 10-15 minute walk to the shopping/fashion area around 5th avenue. In my opinion, is would be hard to beat this location for tourism/leisure travelers.

Service was excellent. The doormen were very friendly and talkative, the front desk efficient and friendly. The rooms were very tastefully furnished and clean. We had no problems with anything during out stay. We were on a higher floor and had a nice view looking west towards the Hudson River. The rooms was very quiet as the only street noise we could hear were occasional sirens (which we heard only faintly). We paid extra for the higher floor room with a view - not sure if it was worth it because I don't know what the view and noise levels were like in lower rooms.

I can't comment on the restaurant/bar because we did not use it since there are so many other choices nearby. It looked adequate but nothing special.

My only gripe is that they charge for internet use. The room is equipped with a large screen computer connected to the internet, which is a nice touch, except you have to pay over $20 daily to use it. This "nickle and dime" approach, especially considering how much they charge for the rooms, left a slightly bad taste in our mouths.

Overall, I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Davelw
Reviewed 13 January 2011

I just returned from 2 days in Manhattan and at the Interconti Times Square. My Corner Skyview Room was great. Super clean, with every 5 Star amenity you can imagine.
Room Service was good, Food was excellent though it took a while to get my table removed. The restaurant CAVA has great food choices but the Service could be crisper. The Staff needs more training. Great Coffee Shop Service for my Latte to go.
Overall a fantastic experience - I will be back soon.

Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Duvivier
Reviewed 11 January 2011

Just got back from my stay at the InterContinental for my anniversary. I wanted to be close to Times Square since my husband had not been there and close to Phantom of the Opera since we were seeing the show. We were literally one block behind Times Square. The Majestic Theatre was on 44th so all we had to do was walk out the door and cross the street to get to the show. This was perfect in the cold weather. We stayed in 2705 which had a magnificant skyline view of Times Square. The bathroom was very large and the entire room was very clean. My only complaint would be the curtains got stuck and had about an inch opening that I had to pull together to close. We also stayed the same time of some local media attention at the hotel but the hotel handled it very well. The security was great and I felt very safe. I do think the hotel should have informed the guest of the happenings though with a phone call or letter instead of us having to find out on the news.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kim N
Reviewed 10 January 2011

We make numerous trips to New York on business and pleasure. We have stayed at many New York City hotels but this one is one the best. Rooms are very comfortable, furnishings are great bathroom is supurb. Computer in room, great desk, outlets everywhere. Beautiful design. Todd English’s Hotel resturant is excellent. Price fix is a great deal. The loby sceen is very nice. Can't wait to return. Service is excellent.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank SkiandSkate
Reviewed 10 January 2011

This is a very long overdue review, considering my stay was in October. However, I have nothing negative to say about the hotel or its staff. Our room, skyview 34 th floor was very clean and modern. The bed and pillows, heaven! Loved Ca Va for breakfast, you have to try the waffles; we started our morning there almost every day. I found both the price and size of the room good, you get what you pay for. Loved that the subway entrance was right there and close to everything in Times Square, without being loud, no problems at night. On my next return trip to NYC, this is exactly where I'll be staying, no questions! New York is not a relaxing vacation, get out and enjoy this incrediable city!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple