“Nice neighborhood spot”

Neighbourhood: Gramercy Park
New York City, New York
“Nice neighborhood spot”
Reviewed 10 March 2011

My wife and I live near The Loop, and have gone about six times. The food has always been good, with pleasant service. They make signature sushi rolls there, which are inventive and tasty. I don't understand why this place has not been reviewed in any of the NY papers; we like it very much.

• Visited December 2010

New York
“Great Neighborhood Sushi Spot”
Reviewed 12 February 2010

I had plans to meet a friend for lunch in the East Village one Sunday afternoon. While he compiled a list of destinations that were familiar to both of us, I began to scout for some potential new options. I came across some amazing reviews for The Loop and threw that in with the alternate list I basically forced on him, haha...After some slight back and forth, we decided to move forward with a light sushi meal.

We arrived at the standard restaurant, which was pretty empty for a Sunday afternoon. The lack of patrons was a bit unsettling, but I remained confident about my suggestion. I ordered the Sashimi Lunch Special, which included a side salad. The salad was very basic with the typical lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and ginger dressing. The nine pieces of assorted fish were extremely fresh (especially for a Sunday, when you are typically supposed to steer clear of the sea protein), but again, nothing earth-shattering.

My friend's miso soup and sushi rolls looked good enough, but not awe-inspiring. He concurred with this sentiment.

The Loop was a fabulous spot for affordable, straight-forward sushi. The standard menu and decor made it good option for a casual, local meal, but this is by no means a destination restaurant. Think of it as your favorite neighborhood (*keyword*) Japanese place that you visit frequently.