“Central Park”
Review of Free Tours by Foot

Free Tours by Foot
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Free Tours by Foot is pleased to present name-your-own-price New York walking tours. We cover all of Manhattan, parts of Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx. We also offer name-your-own-price food, bike and bus tours as well as ghost tours as well as free self-guide tours and audio tours. No upfront costs. You decide what a tour was worth or what you could afford once a tour is over. It's the best money back guarantee in the business.
Alexandria, Virginia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Central Park”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We signed up for a walking tour through "Free Tours by Foot". We received several emails telling us the time and location of the tour. Garrett our tour guide even sent his picture so we would recognize him. Our group was small only about 14 people. We saw only a small section of the park in our 2 and 1/2 hour tour, but Garrett told us about the rest of the park and encouraged us to return for another visit. He made the park come alive with his many stories and many facts about the park. I have walked through Central Park many times, but this was the first time that I felt like I learned about the area. I highly recommend this tour, and look forward to taking another tour by this company in the future.

1 Thank Jennie J

• Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Richmond, Texas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lot's of fun and info”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My wife and I took the Soho, Little Italy and Chinatown tour. Our guide was a retired NYC history teacher, cab driver, etc. You can't understand NYC unless you get into the neighborhoods and experience all the differences. I've been in China several times and some of the streets in NYC Chinatown are just like being back there. A great way to spend 2 hrs on a Sunday.

Toronto, Canada
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 213 helpful votes
“Great Reasonable Way To Get To Know New York City”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

What a great reasonable way to get to know New York City. I chose 5 walking tours this trip.

Derrick was the tour guide for Brooklyn Heights and Harlem. He was terrific and I was really looking forward to having him as the tour guide for Harlem as I had previously read some great reviews on Trip Advisor. Derrick is very personable and upbeat. He even has his music he plays as we are walking down the street. I was so tempted to want to experience a gospel church service in Harlem. We went to the Motown Museum which was very interesting. We even got to experience some soul food. Derrick was so nice and bought some food at the well known Sylvia’s Queen of Soul Food Restaurant for us to sample. I really enjoyed the 2 hour Harlem tour. Highly recommend and hopefully you will also be lucky to have Derrick as the guide. For the Brooklyn Heights tour it was just ok. And that is only because it is not what I was expecting. Brooklyn Heights is a quiet very expensive area with million dollar homes. The tour consisted mostly of walking around the neighborhood looking at these homes and who was living in them in the past that were famous. The high light of the tour was going to the Historical Society Museum and there just happened to be some entertainment of a Dixieland band playing. That was so enjoyable. I was disappointed this tour does not go on the Brooklyn Bridge but there are other Free Tours by Foot that do. Can’t wait to experience on my next trip to New York the other areas of Brooklyn with Free Tours by Foot.

Bill was the tour guide for Central Park Bike Tour. I really enjoyed this tour. We walked our bikes from the rental bike store to Central Park. While riding in Central Park we do not go fast and we all managed to stay together even though it was a big group. At certain points we make stops and Bill explains the history and the area of what we are seeing. At other stops Bill will stay with the bikes and we go explore the area he just explained on our own. There happened to be some young children on the bike tour and Bill was so nice and considerate he wanted them to see the Alice in Wonderland statue. I am like a kid at heart and was glad I got to enjoy seeing it also. When we head back out of Central Park we ride on the street bike path from Central Park to the bike rental store. Bill has a wealth of knowledge and made it very interesting. I really enjoyed this tour and highly recommend it.

Ellen was the tour guide for The High Line Tour. I really enjoyed this tour and highly recommend it. It was very interesting to listen to Ellen talk through the whole walk of the High Line. Her knowledge of the history and very interesting and humorous stories kept everyone listening and wanting to hear more. I loved the very different interesting architectural buildings.

Dante was the tour guide for Lower East Side Food Tour. I must say this was a fun tour. I enjoyed experiencing all the different foods on the go. It is though a little fast paced. Had a cherry sweet cheese Knish $4.00 at Yohah Schimmels Knishery. Very good. Tasted like a blintz if you know what that is. They also had all kinds of vegetable knishes $3.50 (potato, sweet potato etc. and all kinds of sweet fruit ones. They are huge and they can heat it up for you. At Prosperity Dumpling I had the most delicious Sesame Duck Pancake (like a triangle sandwich) $2.50. Dante also recommended their Chives & Pork or Cabbage & Pork Dumplings (4 for $1.25). Tried a garlic Bialy $0.90 at Kessars Bialy. Personally I did not like it was too doughy. Tried a sour pickle $0.75 at the Pickle Guy. Good. Went to Sugar Sunshine Bakery for cupcakes and the Dough Nut Plant for donuts but did not try anything as I was already full. But everyone seemed to enjoy. Made a stop at Economy Candy for all those old fashioned candies. Bought this Halvah chocolate bar $1.29. Had it later and it was so good I wished I bought more. We also passed different sites on the tour and Dante explained the history which I wish we could have visited. On my next visit to New York I would like to experience Free Tours by Foot other area food tours. Great way to experience the tastes and sights of New York.

2 Thank Donna K
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Soho, Little Italy and Chainatown with Dante Salerno”
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Exelient and very joyfull way of traveling. Dante is iteresting and full of knowledge as well as little tips for every corner of these neighbourhoods he gave us.
We will look for more guided tours with him.
Very Recommended. Thanks

Byron Center, Michigan
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Mike and the Highline Tour were awesome!”
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Great, energetic guide that kept us moving and entertained. He cracks a lot of jokes and you learn a lot while exploring the Meatpacking district and the Highline. Do it!