“Not the best choice for a Mother/Teen son evening :O” 3 of 5 bubbles

Rock of Ages
Denton, Texas
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Not the best choice for a Mother/Teen son evening :O”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Okay...my son LOVES 80s music and with that being the music from my high school days I was all in! :) My son and I were in NYC for just 24 hours on a layover from our flight from Dallas on to our next destination and so I wanted to treat him to an actual Broadway show, on Broadway! :) Now, I must also state that I'm not one to do things with my children without researching it first so I asked my travel agent who then also asked someone that had seen the show. The feedback was that this show was not for young children, but ages 14 and up should be fine. Well, I'm not sure I concur with that although I think 16 was okay unless you it's just you and your teenage son - ha! Why?! The female cast members wore very, very little and as my son told me later - - he didn't know where to look given that he was sitting next to his mom! I read many, many reviews and didn't see the costumes mentioned and so I'm taking the time to relay my experience for those other more conservative parents out there like myself. The pros: Very small theater, but it was easy to get to and comfortable. We loved the music and the musical was enjoyable with some romantic parts (for ol' mom) and comical parts for both of us! :) While at the time, it was pretty awkward for my son and I he did later tell me that he was very glad we had gone! (Whew!). You don't need me to convince you to go as I read the reviews about how fun it was which is true! Perhaps what I have helped you with is making a more educated decision if it's going to a mother/son outing ;)

1 Thank happy4chaos

Naples, Florida
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“I wanna rock!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I decided to go see this on a whim by myself. It was so great, I wish I could go back. The theater is amazing and the acting and singing were impeccable. One of the best times I have had in a long time

2 Thank Blancheee
Welland, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great show, amazing music, intimate theatre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

The theatre was rather small but very comfortable and the performance was amazing! Drinks are served in the aisles throughout the show. This show is not really child friendly.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Terri H
Ridgeland,Mississippi
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“A Must for lovers of 80's Music!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Fantastic show, full of energy and a wonderful cast. Not only was it a musical, it was a comedy. Not a show for young children, We had our 16 year old with us and he enjoyed it. It is in the smallest broadway theater so most all of the seats are good. You don't won't to be to far to the right or you will miss some of the show. It was a last minute decision for us and we are so glad we did!!!

1 Thank laurasim
Fairfield, Connecticut
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 382 helpful votes
“Lewd! Gratuitous sex! Loved it!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Great music and singing. And ATMOSPHERE is just like living in the 70s and 80s again! Not much foul language and no nudity!! (Points taken off.) Off-color adult humor, suggestive language and racy costumes. I wouldn't take young teenagers but the audience had a great time, women 35 yrs old (and much older) were jumping up and down during some spots, mimicking Sherri on-stage (if you catch my drift). Shocking!!

Met some people during intermission who have come back to see again for 3rd time, even 9 times. Had heard some have come back to see DOZENS of time. I myself will be back again to see, and this is the FIRST Broadway play I can say that for. Fantastic play, you'll both laugh and cry. And some would say it's more like a PARTY with a PLAY going on because they REALLY get into it!!

Relatively small theatre so every seat is good, we were in the Mezz. Was well air-conditioned. Bar was upstairs as well as down. Waitress came around selling jello-shots. What more can I say? I'm sorry I didn't see this play a lot sooner! You will regret not seeing it if you miss it.

And FORGET about the 2012 movie version with Tom Cruise, that was TERRIBLE and didn't have much in common with the play, like extra characters, some characters minimalized, etc etc etc

3 Thank Domino1969