“1550 Broadway Cameras Electronics - Stay away from this store!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of 47th Digital

47th Digital
Ranked #503 of 796 Shopping in New York City
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“1550 Broadway Cameras Electronics - Stay away from this store!!!”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Thieves - do not enter their store!!! I had the misfortune of walking into this place with my family recently and was RIPPED OFF! My intention was to purchase a $10 USB cable for my camera and ended up leaving with a lens package that I didn't even want. The salesman grabbed my camera to test fit the cable and put on a wide angle lens without my permission. He then took numerous photos of my 10 year old daughter to show how good it was. I was fooled and ended up paying $577USD for what was really worth $80USD. To make things worse the lens which was supposed to be a Canon brand but was switched for a 'no name' brand. Unfortunately I only discovered this when I returned to our hotel. I returned to the store the following day and kicked up a big stink but could not get a refund. I was verbally abused and felt threatened but I caused such a fuss that everyone in the store left. I'm sure this hurt their sales but I refused to give in without a fight. The best I could achieve was to exchange the bogus lens for a Samsung Tab 2 which turned out to be a used item anyway. Fortunately I paid with my credit card so my bank was kind enough to reinstate my funds. My advise is to NEVER enter this store under any circumstance. These people are professional con men! They operate in packs and don't know how to conduct business legitimately. I was ripped off and want to warn other travelers of my experience. My advise is to keep walking if you see this shop. Buyer beware!!!

Visited September 2013
9 Thank Loveholidays2030

Pittsburgh, PA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“New York scam”
Reviewed 15 June 2013

I wish I would have searched this business before my husband entered. They pull you in. Cut you a price on a camera then add a memory card and case for the actual cost of the camera. My husband did not look at the credit card slip. When I saw a charge for twice the price quoted I was told that the add on we're for the case and memory card which he never asked if we wanted. They can't talk to you enough when they are trying to sell you,something but walk away and tell you to be quiet when you question things. SCAM SCAM SCAM. Of course we are at fault but it was one expensive lesson that I hope others avoid.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Kording
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Do NOT buy at this store.”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We entered this store and were immediately approached by one of their sales reps (sounded like a Russian accent). We were carrying a Canon 40D with a 17-85 zoom lens. He immediately told us that he had a camera like ours and he had an item that would significantly improve the quality of our photographs. He went outside and took two pictures, one without the attachment and one with it on the lens. The second, with the attachment, was three to four times wider than the first. We were excited. (We did not realize until later that he had, by changing the angle of the camera, made the difference between the two pictures much more dramatic than it really was.) He told us that the price of this attachment was over $1200, showing us this in his catalogue. We ended up allowing him to talk us into purchasing this attachment for $500. That evening, when I looked at Amazon, I found a similar item for around $20. The next we returned to the store and asked four our money back. I did not expect a refund (our receipt said “no refunds”), but I pushed hard. When they said “No refund,” we began to tell the customers in the store to not buy anything here. When we started to do this our salesman began to swear at us and threaten us. He said he was going to call the police. When they did not come I went out, found two police officers and brought them into the store. The salesman was still swearing at us and we were still telling people to not shop here. We cost them a number of sales. With the police there we were able to work things out so that we could exchange the attachment for another item. We ended up with a Canon Speedlite 320EX Flash. They had priced this flash at $900, but it sells on line for between $200 - $300. So, while we did come bout behind it was not as bad as paying $500 for something worth $20. Our going into the store, confronting them, bringing in the police, and costing them a number of sales probably helped us come to a bit of a resolution.
For a long time we were very angry with that salesman. His lies, his deception, his repulsive attitude were hard to take. But after a month or so, I realized that I needed to change my attitude. If anyone from the story is reading this, here is my message to you: Even though what you did was totally abhorrent and was very hurtful, I forgive you. I forgive you for what you did to us and for what you have done to others. I hold no animosity against you. I am praying for you that you will change the way you do business and that you will treat your customers with fairness, with respect and with total honesty. I forgive you and pray for you because I am a follower of Jesus. Jesus extended grace and forgiveness to me when I did not deserve it, and now I do the same for you even though you do not deserve it. I do forgive you!

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Dwight A
Boston, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Smooth talkers”
Reviewed 18 July 2012

I went here during their "closeout sale" as they are "closing for good," which I am now sure that their 'sale' is just a way to get people in their doors so they can scam them. They are VERY pushy and put a lot of pressure on me to purchase a lens. Same as the others, they were swiping my card before I even knew what was going on. I did however get a great deal on a lens, retail for $1,500 and I got it for about $480 including tax. BUT that does not excuse the taking advantage of people. Don't expect as i did to simply walk in and take a "look around" as they will smooth talk you into buying something as they did to me. I honestly felt like they would not allow me to leave unless I purchased the lens...

Visited July 2012
2 Thank elegant_em_s
Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“If you like being ripped off, go here, other wise avoid like the plague”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

My story is the same as the other ones here. They are smooth talkers and have a well oiled scam machine. They even price their items above retail to make you think you got a great deal. They were "going out of business" when I was there in June, but that's just a new spin to get you hocked. Don't even bother wasting your time, they are slick smooth high pressure seasoned scam artists.

Visited June 2012