“Fine for those on a budget”
Review of Fit Hotel

Fit Hotel
London, United Kingdom
“Fine for those on a budget”
Reviewed 2 January 2012

This place is not cheap by rest of the world standards, but 'cheap for New York'.

And it was fine, I stayed in 2 bed female dorm (bunk beds) and it was a decent size. The room and sheets were clean, although the blanket was thin..if you're coming in winter you might need to wear layers. Mattresses were comfy enough.
The pipes were noisy 6am in the morning when the heating came on, and there was a bit of street noise (I was on the second floor)
The bathroom was clean and the shower was huge and decent pressure, the only drawback was sharing with so many people (3 showers between a whole floor) but this is a hostel, and you get what you pay for.

However the location is amazing. You really feel like you are in the New York from the movies.

Staff on the desk are helpful too!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
Guatemala City, Guatemala
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I haven´t even stayed at this place, because they did not give me the opprtunity to. I made a reservation through hostels.com, paid my deposit, and decided to double check with the hostel itself. They told me there was no room the night that I had made my reservation for, but would I like it for the following night? How helpful is that? Not at all, when I have one night in NYC. The hostel immediately shrugged all responsibility, told me if I wanted my deposit back I would have to go through hostels.com, and that was that. No advice, help, nothing. My one night in NYC and I had no place to stay. I questioned why they were associated with a website that makes reservations for them that they do not validate themselves as a hostel and they ignored that. I have yet to get my deposit back as neither the website not the hostel will take responsibility. Pathetic. Why choose this place when their are millions in NYC? I recommend The Hostelling International, they took me in at the last minute, and had better rates that this place anyway.

Room Tip: No tip, like I said,, I would not recommend staying here.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank guatzup

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

washington dc
Reviewed 8 December 2011

I stayed in this hostel because it was the cheapest and the one I generally would stay in has been closed down. It is a good walk from the theatre district if theatre is your thing...theatre is my thing. For me, NYC is all about the walk, so I don't mind and rather enjoy the 30 block walk, no joke. There are many things to see on the way there so your not in the middle of nothing, lots of restaurants, deli's, stores, etc. As for the hostel itself, it was clean, the bathrooms were extremely clean, the front desk guy was nice and I think he works 24 hours a day cuz he was there when I checked and when I checked out. There is a community area with a giant TV and alot of other community rooms I didn't check out cuz I was there for only a night. The travelers were kool and friendly. What else? If there is a down side to this place, I can't think of one because it is so cheap and clean I think it is really great. Oh no.... wait a minute...the only downside is the mattress, it was not uncomfortable really but it was weird and was higher at the head than the foot so I slept on a slight decline, but not like I was standing up straight against a mattress or anything and I slept fine, woke up fine, and hey...if I had acid reflux it would've been the perfect mattress.

Room Tip: NY state charges a high tax percentage and hotel fee, so make sure you understand the total cost of...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank reachteresa
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Good hostel, clean, small accessible kitchen, wifi in kitchen & basement with large tv and spacious lounge area.
Small beds and noisy after dark- street noise. location is great, subway stations less than a block away.
Would recommend however overpriced

• Stayed November 2011
Belo Horizonte, MG
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I actually didn`t stay at this hostel. As I wasn`t planning to spend the night in NYC, I booked the hostel in the last minute for the wrong night! I only found out that, when I was there at the hostell lobby talking to the nicest and more efficient front desk ever: PHILIP! after telling me the hostel was fully booked fot that night, he spent the next hour trying to find a solution (even though it was MY fault) for my problem while doing his work! in the end, he got me a room in another jazz hostel and even gave me the directions to get to it! BIG THANK YOU PHILIP!!! ... other than that, I had a really good impression of this hostel! the location is FANTASTIC, security seems good and kitchen good as well. I wish I had stayed there, but, next time for sure! :)

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank patriciamilagres
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I read some terrible things about this hostel on this website so was a bit worried when I showed up to Jazz with my bags. BUT it was completely fine. I guess it depends on your priorities - it's not very clean there. If you look up at the ceiling when you're having a shower you'll spot a huge gross mole patch growing very large. Also there was 2 bathrooms for an entire floor of rooms of people so in peak hour it's impossible to get a shower. They have an elevator but it's the slowest elevator I've ever waited for. It also looks like it's going to break down any second.

But it's in a great location - Upper West Side is the best. It's less than 5 minutes away from the subway, 10 minutes away from Central Park. It's also the cheapest place I could find. It doesn't have those little useful things - like a bed light or clothes hooks. But they provide linen and towels and free wifi that for the most part, works! And the shower has hot water.

I didn't have any issues with my reservation - I was even able to add a couple extra days onto my booking at the last minute and they were very accommodating.

Room Tip: Bottom floor means you don't need to use the elevator - but it means you're closer to the fr...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Upper West side is so fantastic, central park on one side, riverside on the other..it's the greatest.
Jazz is right near a subway station and walking distance to Cathedral of St John, and that Seinfeld diner and the best deli's.

Jazz is odd, it was being renovated, slowly, and some floors are in the original 1920's fit out and some are brand spanking new. so hope you get a pink floor!

one especially odd factor was the new Yorkers who lived on the upper floors and had access to everything in the hostel including lounge, kitchen and bathrooms.
killed the 'backpacker' vibe for a few people.

• Stayed August 2011