“I don't need anything better”
Review of Fit Hotel

Fit Hotel
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Friendly and helpful staff. Simple but nice breakfast, especially considering it is just a hostel. Good bathrooms. PERFECT location. Good cleaning. The rooms are large. Bonus: I was one hour late for my check out but they didn't charge me for that.

The mattresses could be thicker, but I had a good sleep anyway.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I work for the hospitality industry I may say that this is a terrible hostel. The pictures on Fit Hotel site are nothing like what you are going to find once you check-in.

The front desk staff does not acknowledge guest when they pass by the desk, even if you talk to them you have to wait for them to stop paying attention to their computer, specially the young ladies, to receive some attention. On the other hand I may say that there was a young gentleman that was always in the mornings in his front desk position and was very courteous.

I stayed for 4 nights at the hostel and since the first day I informed that there was no light in one of the restroom on the third floor and that the other restroom was clogged. I left the property and no maintenance was given. The first night I informed that my room had no AC and that there were no screens on the windows and that I could not leave them open because there were a lot of pigeons trying to come into the room, no one did anything about it.

The hostel includes breakfast, which is wheat bread and bagels, butter and jelly and coffee, which is not bad; not all days you may be able to choose between bread or bagel, or between jelly or butter. . .

Bunkers bed are not a problem, this is a hostel and this is what anyone can expect; beds were well done and had clean cloth. The rest of the room needed HELP. . .

The hostel overall needs lots of care and cleanliness. Also management should needs to train their employees on guest services.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank InnontheBlueHorizon
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Very cute affordable hotel. Stayed in a pretty pink painted room with a bunk bed. Quiet at night so had a good sleep. Very nice basement lounge with almost no one using so i ate my dinner there. Free bagel breakfast was a nice treat too. clean rooms and so so shower. But compare to other hostels ive stayed in, this one by far was the most decent.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I had a nice stay in this place even though I could also here that terrible noise at night. i could sleep. I wasn't cold. it was clean. The room were poorly decorated but for the price and giving i was out all the time, I must say it wall all fine and I could recommend this place!
metro, central park and columbia university very close!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 January 2014

ZERO Stars across the board. As a native New Yorker, strongly recommending that you AVOID this nasty place and search for other hostels in our City or in the outer boroughs. First of all, is it Jazz on Amsterdam or is it called FIT Hotel? - and it's not a Hotel - property doesn't share the qualities of a standard hotel. It's a low grade apartment building converting into a hostel. If you want to experience the rudest customer service then by all means take a risk. The cheap rate is NOT worth being exposed to the two GHETTO/street oriented/UNPROFESSIONAL females that work at the front desk. Those two front desk workers do not have a bright future in the hospitality industry nor in any organization that value delivering proper customer service. They might as well hold on to their current jobs. Furthermore there is NO property manager on sight to resolve issues. The Manager is no where to be found. The icing on the cake - ROACHES are found crawling on the walls.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor, take time with your hostel search, read/take the reviews under serious consider...
Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank SocialInfluencer
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We only stayed at this hostel for two nights, the first night was good but the second one was terrible and completely ruined my opinion of this hostel. When we arrived we were told that they had over booked and that they did not have any of the two person dorms that we had booked available. We couldn't believe our luck when were upgraded to a modern private room with a double bed and private en-suite. They had undercharged us by around $50 but we didn't say anything. We had a lovely nights sleep and left early the next morning after a free stale bagel in the kitchen to go sightseeing. We didn't return until around 11pm that night. The elevator is extremely small and barely was big enough for our luggage so we decided the stair were a better option. While walking to our room, we passed the luggage cage where they store guests' luggage and saw ours had been thrown into it. We checked our key card in the door and it was not working. A different person was at the desk this night and we asked him what had happened, he informed us that we had only paid for one night and we should've checked out that morning which the girl the night before had not mentioned. I showed him that our booking was for two nights and that they had overcharged for the first night if not. It turns out we had not been upgraded for the private room but they had charged us the cost of that room as they didn't have any of the cheaper ones that we had booked available. We established with him that we had booked two nights and had no where to stay at midnight on the Upper West Side with all our luggage. He told us they again had none of the rooms left that we had booked except one which I think was on the third floor. We had to pay for this room which the man suggested was a discounted rate for our troubles but from my paperwork I knew that this was the original rate. Too tired to argue, we accepted and dragged our luggage (half of which had been shoved into black bin bags) up to the new room. The new room had no key card but a key on a string, the lock did not work properly as there was an existing broken key stuck in it. The room was a disgrace. The tiles were falling apart on the floor and there were holes in the walls. Everything had been painted white, even the small cupboards were painted shut. The plug sockets looked dangerous and half of them didn't work, there were no furnishings, just a chrome bunk bed with a thin mattress, sheet and pillow. There was a green rug covering up the broken tiles but its was awfully stained and the lockers were so bent out of shape that even if you locked your things in them, you could reach through the bottom to get them without opening it. It was so bad that we actually laughed hysterically. The shared bathroom down the hall was outdated and dirty, we didn't use it much. We ended up sleeping on the bottom bunk together with both mattresses and left as soon as the sun came up in the morning. The night desk boy that had shown us to the second room even apologised, he looked embarrassed but there was nothing more he could do. There was no manager in sight to talk to. We were very upset at the way we were treated, we had stayed in lots of hostels on our travels and usually didn't care much as long as they were clean but I would never stay here again. The only good thing about the hostel was the location, the Upper West Side was beautiful with lots of restaurants and shops within walking distance and the subway not too far away.

Room Tip: Get the private rooms or get their early, it seems good rooms are on a first come, first served basi...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Poppy L
Reviewed 19 May 2013

The rooms were dirty, the facilyties too.
Staff is unfriendly and the make you from 40 up to 75 dollars a night. The money wasn´t worth the stay in this place at all.
As a special topping I found som strangers hairs on my pillow

Room Tip: Look for another hostel! theres better ones in NYC
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends