“What a totally cool place to stay!”

Soldiers Sailors Marines Club
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Soldiers Sailors Marines Club
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Just returned from a 4 day stay at the club. What a cool place! Very historic, comfortable, and friendly place to stay! I was there with my husband and 14 year old daughter. My husband and I are both retired military so felt very comfortable in this atmosphere. The club is very comparable with a nice BOQ. If you get that, you will know what to expect and won't be disappointed that this isn't a traditional hotel. That being said, they provide bagels, coffee, and oatmeal free for breakfast, great advice on how to get around, a great location just a few blocks from Grand Central Station, the Morgan Library, and the New York Public Library - Main Branch. We felt very safe in MidTown as well and it was relatively quiet. We would definitely stay there again!

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Karen B

Reviewed 2 September 2012

I have stayed here four times while visiting New York City. If you are simply looking for a place to sleep and qualify to stay, this is a great choice. The location is fantastic - Mid-town, Murray Hill, close to Grand Central and bus lines. I usually travel by myself here and have always considered this area relatively safe. The bathrooms/showers were renovated since my last stay and are more pleasant. I enjoy the library to relax and watch a little TV if I'm in by early evening. I enjoy breakfast at Scotty's down the street which always seems to be bustling during the weekday mornings.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank NorCaliTraveler
Reviewed 8 August 2012

We took a 5 day trip to NYC and were fortunate to get two beds.....this is a bare bones place, but you can't beat the price and location. Yes, there are a lot of stairs and they creak with age. The bathrooms and showers are down the hall, but they are clean. The people staying at this hotel are typically used to some sort of military experience and they are friendly. Good internet offered in the common space, the bagels and coffee were good, but you gotta get there early or it's all gone! What is interesting is that you rent a single bed in the room, so if you are traveling alone, you may discover a roommate.

The nicest thing is you can walk out of the hotel in the heart of Manhattan and walk to the Empire State Building, Macy's, Times Square, etc. The subway is nearby as well. We will stay there again when we go back because the price allows us to spend money on the fun stuff in the city.

Room Tip: It's New York City.....there's going to be noise so deal with it. I'd recommend traveli...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Haydenbarb
Reviewed 20 June 2012

I didn't stay there because I canceled my reservation two weeks prior to the date, I had reserved. However, I was charged for one night $125 as no show. Unfortunately, I didn't have a cancellation number with me, so I was refused to get a refund. With my phone record, I told the lady on the line that I made a reservation on that day, and canceled it on this date. However, she told me that my reservation was never made the day, I called in to make a reservation, but the reservation was made the day, which I called in to cancel the RESERVATION. Please, be careful when you have to cancel the reservation. You might need to do triple checks.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ukonDenver_Colorado
Reviewed 30 May 2012

The price is outstanding for a hotel in Manhattan and as long as you only need a bed, it is perfect. The staff is friendly and helpful, they offer a continental breakfast, and it is in the perfect location for utilizing public transportation.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank hogdrummer
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We stayed here for 4 days, i was a little afraid of coming to NYC for the first time and also staying at this hotel, however, we are so pleased to be in the heart of Manhattan! The hotel was what you paid for, BUT! But, it's the historical feeling of it inside and out, makes you feel like a New Yorker for a few days, the bathroom were next door, and everything was super clean, the housekeeper cleaned our rooms everyday and we had towels and fresh linen, and bagels with coffee every morning. The location of the hotel is so convenient for famous things in NY and we were excited we didnt have to walk too far from the Time Square, Crysler Building is actually can be seen, Empire State and Macys are around the corner, we will definately stay here again, and will recommend if you are coming to visit NY for a few days and want to save money and have a great place to stay this is IT!
Mar 30, 2012

Room Tip: We had a room facing Lexington Ave, it was a little more traffic and police cars driving by at night...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank NYCfirsttimer_12
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Summer 2011 stayed here for about 2 weeks - great location. (Helpful hint - Stair-wise - the 1st floor is actually the 2nd floor in exterior photo (no elevator, but a stair-lift for handicapped). Summary: Very helpful, professional staff working with a somewhat old reservation system. Most rooms hold 2-3 cots. You rent the cot & locker - not the room (shared bathroom & showers are located in the hallways). Saying that, I found all of my roommates to be friendly with interesting military/DOD backgrounds - which is good because the rooms are NYC tiny. To read, there is a library on 2nd floor (w/TV). To eat, there is a canteen on lobby floor (w/TV). To visit with friends, there is a lounge off the lobby (w/TV & internet). Guests are not allowed above the lobby floor. I'm already looking forward to returning to NYC and this 90+ year old gem. Items I'm glad I had packed: A sleep mask, sweats to sleep in, and flip flops for the shower.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo