“NOT Recommended”
Review of The Nolitan Hotel

The Nolitan Hotel
Ranked #151 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 26 November 2011

We stayed at the Nolitan for one night. It was the worst night we have ever spent in New York. The air conditioner was so loud we couldn't sleep. The room was small and cramped. We checked out a day early and moved to another hotel. When we were leaving, we both got covered with blue paint from the front door. There were no signs or warnings to say the paint was wet. To add insult to injury, they charged us $150 for not staying the second night. When questioned they said they would give us a complimentary night stay. The last thing we want to do is stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank klackey
Patrik H, General Manager at The Nolitan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2011

Dear Mr. C.
We feel terrible about your recent hotel experience and do apologize for the unfortunate occurrence. We realize that this isolated incident was extremely disruptive which is why, in an effort to rectify the situation we extended a complimentary night upon your return. In addition, we waived the penalty fee for leaving early. The $150 charge, in question, is actually the fee for your limousine transfer to the airport, which your Assistant booked.

In light of the compensation extended to you, I find it very unfortunate that the hotel was given a one star rating. As per my voicemail, I am more than happy to discuss the matter with you further.

If any TripAdvisor members have questions about this review, please feel free to contact me directly.

Patrik Horstmann
1 (212) 925-2555

Reviewed 26 November 2011

I´ve stayed in a lot o great and bad hotels in New York, so I was really happy when I by chance found this place in Nolita. I had an amazing week here and I except great rooms I think the hotel staff was incredible helpful and very friendly.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Daniel E
Reviewed 24 November 2011

The service at the Nolitan was excellent, both in advance of the trip and during. The requests for items to be left in the room were all completed as requested. The hotel in Nolita is in an excellent neighborhood for exploring and the roof provides a great view of the city. The concierge Casandra was excellent including shipping a box of goodies back to Seattle for us. Worth a repeat.

Room Tip: Choose a high room facing uptown.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank worldtraveledSeattle
Reviewed 21 November 2011

This is a terrific addition to downtown NYC hotel scene. If you're planning on spending time in the Nolita, Lower East Side, Bowery, SOHO areas, this is someplace to definitely consider. The hotel is very modern so if lots of exposed concrete isn't your thing, then look elsewhere. However, if your tastes run in that direction and you want to be pretty much in the center of everything those neighborhoods have to offer, then this is the place.

The staff is awesome from the minute you arrive; as a matter of fact it starts before you arrive. I actually got a call from the concierge a few days before my stay asking if there was anything she could do for me. I asked her if she could get me tickets to a show I really wanted to see but which appeared sold out. She said she'd give it a shot and a couple of hours later called back and I had my seat! On arrival everyone was very nice and helpful and remained so at every interaction I had.

The downstairs/lounge area is really stylish and nice and the restaurant serves excellent food. It is a little quiet in the evening so if you want your hotel to have a happening scene in its bar then maybe give it a few months for things to heat up and stay at the Bowery Hotel or the Crosby Street Hotel or the Hotel on Rivington. But, I am sure it will heat up because it's a cool place in a cool hood and probably just needs a little time. Two things about the restaurant/lounge that did bug me a bit: First, the bar closed at midnight on Friday which seemed a little early for this part of the world. Second, the restaurant stopped serving breakfast at 10:30 on Saturday, which also seemed a little early, especially for a town that seems to run on brunch. They really need to keep it going until noon.

The rooms are small so be prepared. However, they are very well designed and everything seems to fit just fine. As to the noise issue that many people seem to complain about let me say the following: Street noise was not an issue at all, there just wasn't any. The windows seem to block it all, save for the occasional fire truck which, come on, is to be expected in NYC. The HVAC system is a little loud but not intrusively so; it never bothered me. The one noise issue that was a little surprising was the hallway noise. They evidently didn't use noise proofing doors on the rooms and with all that exposed concrete, you do pretty much hear everything that's happening in the hallway as if it were happening in your room. Of course, the converse is also true so expect whatever you do in your room to be played loud and clear in the hallway. However, that said it really wasn't an issue as it's a small hotel and there's thus not a lot of coming and going. And, I never heard anything from anyone else's room.

The minibar is jam packed with good stuff, they have nice robes, T-shirts and even a yoga mat for you. The bathroom is nice too and packed with high quality amenities. They have free wifi throughout and a nice desk which is very spacious for work. The closet is adequate but it is a bit tight so if you're a heavy packer beware. Lastly, there is a killer view uptown (at least from the higher floors); you basically look out toward all of midtown.

In summary I really liked this place and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for something on a high floor
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank expeditiondaddy
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I am a professional travel agent. My husband and I spent 4 nts here for my birthday, recently. Ultra modern hotel with chic bathrooms. Everything was very clean and new. We were upgraded to a room with a balcony on the 8th floor so we had a great view. Street noise level was acceptable. The bathroom amenities were first class, nice comfortable bed with very unusual romantic items in the nightstands! Chocolates on the pillows were a nice touch, so was the daily newspaper. Great location, within walking distance to main shopping areas, restaurants and the subway. The concierge Cassandra was particularly helpful in trying to get us dining reservations etc. There was plenty of security guys around all the time so you felt pretty safe.

Cons: you had to get used to the loud noise of the a/c, luckily it was cool enough so we never used it at night. The hot water stopped one day and it took a while to get it back so we could shower. Obviously some kinks need to be worked out. Did sign up for the packing/unpacking service but we never received it. Assumed it could be due to our in/out timing but no one at the front desk brought it up. Even though there was space in the room, there was no luggage stand. The restaurant attached to the hotel was nothing to write home about. The reception messed up our car service a few times, it seemed a lot of staff did not make an effort to co- ordinate their duties.

All in all, a good stay with minor hiccups. Will not mind returning again and will certainly recommend to my clients.

Room Tip: choose a room with balcony on the higher floors
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bengal-tiger
Reviewed 19 November 2011

I cannot say enough about the location, close to subway, SOHO, Little Italy, China Town. At this price range + quality the rooms will be small, and they were, but the layout worked and did not feel as cramped as other Hotels. The front desk service was fantastic, very friendly and helpful, I received an email with info. immediately after booking. The restaurant located downstairs was okay, the service was not attentive and the food was average. Kenmare is a busy street, even on high floors if you're a light sleeper bring earplugs, the horns did not bother me, getting a taxi can be difficult as most are already taken on the way to the Wllmbrg Bridge, would have liked the doorman to be more helpful flagging down a cab (very helpful with luggage). Rooms were new and clean (hope they stay that way) - shower door needs to be properly closed to avoid water flow onto the floor - the beds were my only concern, ours sank in the middle because of a broken pillar underneath - mgmt. needs to reinforce all the beds. Overall a pleasant stay, 4/5 for location, cleanliness and service.

Room Tip: Higher rooms and or no balcony for light sleepers. Walk north or south to find a cab; if your going...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandinmyveins
Reviewed 18 November 2011

This is a great new addition to the NYC hotel line-up. It's an interesting location on the border of Chinatown and Little Italy - only a stone throw away from SOHO. The area is sufficiently gritty, which I appreciate, but the hotel is extremely chic.

Open plan bathroom. See-through to the shower. Private balcony. Bare concrete walls and hardwood floor. Very cool reception area. Extremely good service. Free WIFI. And compared to the SOHO Grand, The W etc. the rates are very competitive!

Only gripes are a) the shower would change temperature dramatically with no warning. Did wake me up, though! b) the noise from the street is quite significant - even at night. I didn't mind too much, but some would have a problem with that.

Would recommend and come back. If they fix the plumbing and get triple glazing this would be my new favourite NYC hotel!

Room Tip: A balcony is cool, but comes with the noise from the street!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business