“Great little hotel in my favorite part of the city”
Review of The Nolitan Hotel

The Nolitan Hotel
Ranked #130 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great little hotel in my favorite part of the city”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I love Nolita. We've spent a lot of time in midtown and it's really nice to move south, away from the Fifth Avenue and Broadway areas. There are small shops and parks and neighborhood restaurants - it's like a refreshing world apart. When I read that a new hotel had opened in Nolita I made a mental note to look it up the next time we visited NY. And so we did mid-November and had a wonderful stay.

The staff is friendly and accommodating - not a hint of attitude. Although we had booked two nights non-refundable, they graciously allowed us to stay just one night when something came up and we had to leave early. The coffee I ordered for the room came right on time.

The hotel is stylish, the rooms almost minimalist (with the exception of the views, which are breathtaking). The rooms, granted, are small, but so are most hotel rooms in NY. I loved the way you could look right through the shower into the bathroom. And I loved the high-floor balcony room with views straight up to the Empire State building and over to the Williamsburg Bridge.

I suppose you could complain about the price, but why bother? Every now and again it's worth a little extra to try something different. And besides, it's NY!

Room Tip: Go for the high floor balcony, city view.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
White Plains, New York
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We spent three days over the holiday weekend and had an amazing time. The hotel is very clean and modern, uniquely situated on the border of little Italy and Chinatown. The accommodations are a real value when you consider the cost of other places and all that you can see from this location. We used the complimentary iPad to look for places to go and shop tickets. The bed was comfy and the restaurant has fantastic french toast and turkey sausage,
Happy hour was great From 5 to 8pm, plenty of time to have my Brooklyn IPA and steak skewers. Next time we will definitely use the complimentary bikes to zip around and go over the Williamsburg bridge.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Phdd
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 27 November 2011

After transferring from a chain in the area, we walked in and we were immediately thrilled. The attention to detail in the hotel is outstanding, the customer service in unmatched, the amenities are fantastic. We booked our room through Jetsetter.com, and when we arrived early with a LOT of luggage, the staff was more than accommodating and checked them while we roamed the city. Our room was ready before the 3pm checkin, and we received a phone call from the adorable british man that works at the front desk. When we got into our room we were floored by the modern design, lovely branding touches, amenities (including robes, slippers, and a fully stocked minibar/snacks...which are not overpriced like so many hotels), and comfy bed. They even leave a card with tomorrows weather forecast, a chocolate and in our case, a thank you for the note we left them.

I wish we would have stayed here all weekend instead of just one night. What a fantastic stay. We will be back!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
saint helena, CA
Reviewed 26 November 2011

We stayed at the Nolitan for one night. It was the worst night we have ever spent in New York. The air conditioner was so loud we couldn't sleep. The room was small and cramped. We checked out a day early and moved to another hotel. When we were leaving, we both got covered with blue paint from the front door. There were no signs or warnings to say the paint was wet. To add insult to injury, they charged us $150 for not staying the second night. When questioned they said they would give us a complimentary night stay. The last thing we want to do is stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank klackey
Patrik H, General Manager at The Nolitan Hotel, responded to this review, 1 December 2011
Dear Mr. C.
We feel terrible about your recent hotel experience and do apologize for the unfortunate occurrence. We realize that this isolated incident was extremely disruptive which is why, in an effort to rectify the situation we extended a complimentary night upon your return. In addition, we waived the penalty fee for leaving early. The $150 charge, in question, is actually the fee for your limousine transfer to the airport, which your Assistant booked.

In light of the compensation extended to you, I find it very unfortunate that the hotel was given a one star rating. As per my voicemail, I am more than happy to discuss the matter with you further.

If any TripAdvisor members have questions about this review, please feel free to contact me directly.

Patrik Horstmann
1 (212) 925-2555
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 26 November 2011

I´ve stayed in a lot o great and bad hotels in New York, so I was really happy when I by chance found this place in Nolita. I had an amazing week here and I except great rooms I think the hotel staff was incredible helpful and very friendly.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Daniel E
seattle
Reviewed 24 November 2011

The service at the Nolitan was excellent, both in advance of the trip and during. The requests for items to be left in the room were all completed as requested. The hotel in Nolita is in an excellent neighborhood for exploring and the roof provides a great view of the city. The concierge Casandra was excellent including shipping a box of goodies back to Seattle for us. Worth a repeat.

Room Tip: Choose a high room facing uptown.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank worldtraveledSeattle
park city UT
Reviewed 21 November 2011

This is a terrific addition to downtown NYC hotel scene. If you're planning on spending time in the Nolita, Lower East Side, Bowery, SOHO areas, this is someplace to definitely consider. The hotel is very modern so if lots of exposed concrete isn't your thing, then look elsewhere. However, if your tastes run in that direction and you want to be pretty much in the center of everything those neighborhoods have to offer, then this is the place.

The staff is awesome from the minute you arrive; as a matter of fact it starts before you arrive. I actually got a call from the concierge a few days before my stay asking if there was anything she could do for me. I asked her if she could get me tickets to a show I really wanted to see but which appeared sold out. She said she'd give it a shot and a couple of hours later called back and I had my seat! On arrival everyone was very nice and helpful and remained so at every interaction I had.

The downstairs/lounge area is really stylish and nice and the restaurant serves excellent food. It is a little quiet in the evening so if you want your hotel to have a happening scene in its bar then maybe give it a few months for things to heat up and stay at the Bowery Hotel or the Crosby Street Hotel or the Hotel on Rivington. But, I am sure it will heat up because it's a cool place in a cool hood and probably just needs a little time. Two things about the restaurant/lounge that did bug me a bit: First, the bar closed at midnight on Friday which seemed a little early for this part of the world. Second, the restaurant stopped serving breakfast at 10:30 on Saturday, which also seemed a little early, especially for a town that seems to run on brunch. They really need to keep it going until noon.

The rooms are small so be prepared. However, they are very well designed and everything seems to fit just fine. As to the noise issue that many people seem to complain about let me say the following: Street noise was not an issue at all, there just wasn't any. The windows seem to block it all, save for the occasional fire truck which, come on, is to be expected in NYC. The HVAC system is a little loud but not intrusively so; it never bothered me. The one noise issue that was a little surprising was the hallway noise. They evidently didn't use noise proofing doors on the rooms and with all that exposed concrete, you do pretty much hear everything that's happening in the hallway as if it were happening in your room. Of course, the converse is also true so expect whatever you do in your room to be played loud and clear in the hallway. However, that said it really wasn't an issue as it's a small hotel and there's thus not a lot of coming and going. And, I never heard anything from anyone else's room.

The minibar is jam packed with good stuff, they have nice robes, T-shirts and even a yoga mat for you. The bathroom is nice too and packed with high quality amenities. They have free wifi throughout and a nice desk which is very spacious for work. The closet is adequate but it is a bit tight so if you're a heavy packer beware. Lastly, there is a killer view uptown (at least from the higher floors); you basically look out toward all of midtown.

In summary I really liked this place and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for something on a high floor
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo