“Hip but way too noisy”
Review of The Nolitan Hotel

The Nolitan Hotel
Ranked #158 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 30 November 2011

The Nolitan is no doubt very cool. It's stylish decor and location in one of NYC's hottest neighborhoods guarantees that. However, Kenmare is so noisy that I would never stay there again. Starting at 5 am trucks begin deliveries on Kenmare, and all I could hear was the beep beep beep of trucks backing up all morning.

Other than the fact that it couldn't actually be used for sleeping, I thought the room was a typical boutique hotel stylish room. I wasn't a huge fan of the shower that has a clear view into the room and out the window since I have no particular desire to be an exhibitionist, but it was easy enough to cover up with the drapes.

One nice touch was a little packet of discounts to local upscale boutiques. One less fortunate aspect was that it's not easy to come by a taxi out front and the staff just watched me walking aimlessly around with my luggage rather than offering to hail one for me. Otherwise everyone I encountered there was friendly.

Alas, the noise was a deal breaker. Although I love the neighborhood, I won't be back to the Nolitan!

Room Tip: High floor and facing away from Kenmare if possible. Kenmare is unbearably noisy!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Lindsey V

Reviewed 30 November 2011

My wife and I stayed at the hotel on Saturday and Sunday because we wanted to explore the Nolita/Soho area. The hotel is near Chinatown and Little Italy so there was plenty of restaurants and shops to visit. Each of the areas has a different feel but we really enjoyed the "hipster" atmosphere of the hotel and the Nolita area. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful and the hotel provides bikes and skateboard for the guests to travel through the area and over the bridge path on Williamsburg Bridge. The rooms are European style but with plenty of amenities and the view of the Empire State Building is beautiful at night. We tried the hotel restaurant and can't say enough about the Venison and the Porkchops entrees. Both meats were tender and juicy which is difficult to get in porkchops. We would highly recommend a stay as a great base to explore the area shops and restaurants.

1  Thank edhipster
Reviewed 30 November 2011

the nolitan has been recommended to us by a friend livinig in NEW YORK.
We were actually searching for a cool and trendy place in a nice area of new york.
The Nolitan is the best address!! right in the center of the best shopping area, great shopping at Elisabeth street, round the corner from the restaurant Gitane or some other great spots!
Very friendly staff, extremply helpfull. We were very happy to meet Felix, great man!!!
Thanks for all your help during our stay!
Casandra the concierge at the front desk was as well very helpfull, she organised our party nights, restaurants and gave us great recommodations! Thanks !!!
Our room was just a little bit small, next time we will go for a corner room! Definitely take a room on a high floor, you get great views to the city...the Empire state building, The Chrysler building - incredible! We loved it!!!

1  Thank COKandersteg
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Pros
1. Great location - very near Soho shops and Broadway chain shops, 5 mins from Spring St subway. Handy if you're looking to explore FiDi and Soho and Greenwich Village (20-30 mins walk). If you're looking at spending more time in midtown, I would suggest a hotel in that area. This hotel is approx 20 min subway from 59th/5th say.
2. Lovely staff - very helpful
3. Great turndown service - including a yummie choc!
4. Room has everything - yoga mat and umbrella included. Only thing missing is iron but you can ask reception for one.
5. Great room service - delicious eggwhite omelette
Cons - don't really have any except that the shower in my room was see through into the bedroom. There is a curtain but if you're not that close to your room mate, you may not be comfortable. Not sure if it was just my room or all rooms. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank paristosydney
Reviewed 28 November 2011

This hotel provides a warm friendly atmosphere from the moment I enter till the moment I left. The service was great.

The hotel maximizes the limited amont of square feet provided in the rooms and regarding the room size, that's to be expected living in New York; but I didn't feel cluttered or cramped, it was a great room design. The beds are extremely comfortable. The thermostat was a bit noisy and kept reseting to a pre-fixed temperature but it didn't bother me although it could for some. Besides, the ceiling fan worked so well, I didn't really need to use it to regulate the room temperature. Lastly, the provided slippers were a nice addition.

The location is easily one of my top reasons why I liked this place. Very close to little Italy, Chinatown, Soho, and to a subway station for further locations.

Overall great stay.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank vkey2jr
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I love Nolita. We've spent a lot of time in midtown and it's really nice to move south, away from the Fifth Avenue and Broadway areas. There are small shops and parks and neighborhood restaurants - it's like a refreshing world apart. When I read that a new hotel had opened in Nolita I made a mental note to look it up the next time we visited NY. And so we did mid-November and had a wonderful stay.

The staff is friendly and accommodating - not a hint of attitude. Although we had booked two nights non-refundable, they graciously allowed us to stay just one night when something came up and we had to leave early. The coffee I ordered for the room came right on time.

The hotel is stylish, the rooms almost minimalist (with the exception of the views, which are breathtaking). The rooms, granted, are small, but so are most hotel rooms in NY. I loved the way you could look right through the shower into the bathroom. And I loved the high-floor balcony room with views straight up to the Empire State building and over to the Williamsburg Bridge.

I suppose you could complain about the price, but why bother? Every now and again it's worth a little extra to try something different. And besides, it's NY!

Room Tip: Go for the high floor balcony, city view.
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We spent three days over the holiday weekend and had an amazing time. The hotel is very clean and modern, uniquely situated on the border of little Italy and Chinatown. The accommodations are a real value when you consider the cost of other places and all that you can see from this location. We used the complimentary iPad to look for places to go and shop tickets. The bed was comfy and the restaurant has fantastic french toast and turkey sausage,
Happy hour was great From 5 to 8pm, plenty of time to have my Brooklyn IPA and steak skewers. Next time we will definitely use the complimentary bikes to zip around and go over the Williamsburg bridge.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends