“Great Find!”
Review of The Nolitan Hotel

The Nolitan Hotel
Ranked #138 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 1 February 2012

What I loved about the hotel is it's location (near the subway and loved the neighborhood). Also, the staff are very helpful and accommodating. The hotel itself is quite modern and new so I have no major complaints. The room is somewhat on the small side but it was fine with me. =)

Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank symphony88
There are newer reviews for The Nolitan Hotel

Reviewed 31 January 2012

I enjoyed the first stay so I thought I'd check-in again. Swayed by the staff, the accommodation and the neighbourhood I thought I'd give it another go.

Three days before the trip I receive an email confirmation extending me offers that would personalise my stay and make it a memorable trip - nice! Then I miss a call but get a voicemail asking if I need airport collection or anything else to ease my journey - again a nice touch.

Declining all the kind offers I arrive under my own steam and am given a different room - slightly smaller than the previous top floor corner room that I'd stayed in before (which I'd recommend especially of on vacation) but equally well appointed. The balcony is a nice touch and good for snapping a few photo's on a clear day.

The staff live up to the standards they set on my first stay: friendly, attentive and happy to help me navigate my way around the neighbourhood.

This time round I noticed some more of the street noise - but to be fair I'm not sure it's any more than I've experienced staying around Time Square or up by Columbus Circle and it's possibly just my jet lag causing me to be a light sleeper

I ate in the restaurant for the first time - great food and reasonable prices. The bar tenders were great and I didn't feel uneasy being on my own in the restaurant.

There's no gym but the complimentary pass to a great gym on the edge of Soho, 5 minutes run from the hotel, is excellent. It's much better equipped than the normal hotel gym and you get to do some window shopping on the way. (May not be so attractive doing the run in the rain - but on a clear winters day it's not a hardship to get to)

I remain a buyer of this hotel - the more I stay the more I like the neighbourhood and find a few great bars, restaurants and shops that as a visitor to the city you'd normally not get the chance to frequent.

For a boutique hotel it's not overly cool or pretentious - but warm, welcoming and neighbourly!

Will definitely give it another go!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank LondonCityAM
Reviewed 30 January 2012

The rooms were on the small side, but oh so comfortable and quiet. The restaurant next door, is connected and quite good. The front desk very helpful and the neighborhood, one of the best finds in NYC.

Room Tip: Get a room away from elevators
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Robert F
Reviewed 28 January 2012

For us it was important to have some type of out-door space which the Nolitian offered.. Very hard to find in NYC... Felix, Roney, and Aliya were AMAZING and extremely accommodating.. With this hotel being fairly new I wanted to check out a room before I booked. & when I asked them (Felix) was great about it and took me upstairs.. Can’t wait for the roof-top in the summer!! I really hope this place stays around they deserve it!! For us we wanted smaller and romantic and that’s exactly what we got.. Rooms are great and everything 1st class.. Thanks ~ Definitely be back…

Room Tip: Higher floors have the balconies :)
2  Thank AZBK
Reviewed 28 January 2012

This boutique hotel is a jewel. The staff is friendly, they smile and greet you as if they mean it, they are helpful in organizing your travels around the city. I had originally heard of this hotel in a review in a major Canadian newspaper which had given it a glowing report. I can only echo the comments in the review. The decor of the rooms is uncluttered, simple, tasteful and the beds are ultra comfortable.

My biggest concern in choosing a hotel was the matter of bedbugs which has plagued the Eastern seaboard for the past few years. I contacted the hotel to see what measures were in place to handle this problem. I was informed that the hotel uses the mattress/pillow bedbug proof encasements, the headboards are sprayed with isopropyl alcohol and the bedcovers are laundered each time a new guest occupies the room. The lack of carpeting, non uphostered chairs, is an added measure ... not to mention that the room was spotless.

The hotel is in the vivinity of two subway stations which makes travelling to various places very easy.

Will definitely return on my next visit.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Redpof
Reviewed 22 January 2012

The Nolitian was absolutely amazing! Everyone you come in contact with is beyond helpful, especially Cassandra their concierge she will help you with anything from dining to directions. The selection for the mini bar inside the room was great, and the option to purchase anything in the room was a surprise and different from any hotel I've stayed in before. The architecture in the lobby is very modern and the room was adorable. We also had a room with a balcony which is great because my boyfriend smokes so he didn't have to go all the way downstairs and outside. All around we had a great time!

2  Thank labellaa89
Reviewed 21 January 2012

The Nolitan occupies the grittier end of NoLiTa (North of Little Italy), close to Chinatown, SoHo, and the Lower East Side. This location is perfect if you know your way around lower Manhattan or want to stay away from the hubbub of Midtown. It exudes cool without pretension. The bellman, Felix, made us feel as if he was welcoming us into his home.

The small 235-square-foot rooms have enough light and character that you quickly forget about the cramped size. But you should avoid the "accessible" rooms, which are uncomfortably small with zero room for luggage. We got upgraded to a Cityscape Balcony Room, which gave us some extra breathing room along with a breathtaking view of the Empire State Building and the midtown skyline.

Side note: While the hotel staff is warm and welcoming, the restaurant staff next door at Ellabess acted like it was a chore to serve us breakfast. Despite the fact that staff members outnumbered guests 2-to-1, I had to get up to refill my coffee at the server station because no one bothered to come by for ten minutes. My server was folding napkins, zen-like, two steps away from the coffee, and he didn't even look up at me when I went over to refill my cup. Of course, no one ever stopped by to ask how the food was (delicious) or whether we wanted anything else (we did). Ellabess was a shocking contrast to the friendly Nolitan. Do yourself a favor and walk 10 minutes to Russ & Daughters for the best smoked salmon on a bagel of your life.

2  Thank livetwice