“Great find!”

Ranked #140 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Montreal, Canada
“Great find!”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

On planning a trip to NYC to visit our daughter, I found the Nolitan. Knew nothing about the neighborhood at all. What a wonderful surprise. The hotel was a perfect little find. Clean, good size, amazingly wonderful bed, great shower and a great, friendly, helpful staff!! Would definitely return to this hotel. loved the area. Steps to SoHo, Greenwich Village, Chinatown, Little Italy. A wonderful change from the super touristy areas of New York City. Dozens of wonderful shops and restaurants close by.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank bjoy408

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 9 July 2012

What a great place! From the moment I came, no detail of this hotel had been overlooked- you can rent their bicycles and skateboards- they have a whole list of menus that deliver to your hotel in a nice neat little packet in your room- their shower and bathing products are exceptional- the room is a bit on the smaller side but the planning is thoughtful and useful- relaxing wonderful fourth of July stay- will return!

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Lunka86
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We spent 2 very enjoyable nights here over the 4th of July. The location is great if you want to spend time in and around Soho, Little Italy, and Chinatown. Of course the subway makes it easy to get to midtown and museums in 15 minutes or less. We really enjoyed being away from the touristy Midtown/Times Square crowd. The rooms are a little small, but they are very clean and comfortable, and the staff couldn't be more friendly and helpful!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tablehead
Toronto, ON
Reviewed 2 July 2012

The combination of a Vacationist deal + good Tripadvisor rating + desire to stay in a new neighbourhood (we usually stay around midtown) led me to the Nolitan. I'm so glad we landed here. The service at the hotel was fantastic, we had a beautiful view of the Manhattan skyline from our balcony and we were able to explore new parts of New York. There were minor quibbles (small room...of course, it's New York!), a loud air conditioning system, and a rather light continental breakfast, but they were all minor points compared to the hotel's pluses.

Hints for people looking for meals: Barmarche, just up Elizabeth Street at Spring, was a fantastic dinner choice. The Epistrophy cafe around the corner on Mott was a great place for a drink. Asia Dog, just a block west, had tasty gourmet hot dogs if you need a snack.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LtDan
Newcastle
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We stayed at the Nolitan for 3nights & we a little uncertain of what to expect, being our first trip to NYC. From what I can tell, although it wasn't cheap, it was certainly good value for money: perfectly adequate room size with decent cupboard & lovely compact bathroom & separate loo (which I find is far more functional in a smallish bathroom!). Great modern touches throughout, exceptionally comfy bed & pillows, nice toiletries, delicious chocolates on our pillows on arrival, in-room safe, great little balcony. Although in a brilliant location just north of Little Italy, adjacent to Chinatown, with amazing restaurants, cafes & bakeries right around the corner, we still loved the complimentary continental breakfast. Staff were extremely helpful & due to their assistance, we used the subway almost exclusively, even to get as far the Bronxe on our first night! Worth very penny & great modern spot out of the main tourist drag.

Room Tip: Our room was on the seventh floor & had a great view of both the Empire State & Chrysler Bui...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cactuspee
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I usually stay in downtown Brooklyn when I travel to New York City for business. However, for my most recent trip, I was open to recommendations for lodging since the rates at my usual hotel were a bit on the extreme side. (Nearby hotels were no better.)

Thus, I was told to check out the Nolitan. Not only was it reasonably priced (relative to what my usual hotel was charging), it was accessible to work via taxi or subway and very, very chic.

I arrived a tad early for check-in, but the staff was kind enough to hold my bags while I sought out lunch. As soon as my room was ready, I was notified right away. I've stayed at hotels where the staff was inattentive. This was not the case at the Nolitan. From the moment I stepped through the door, I knew I would be in good hands.

My room was tiny, but since I was traveling alone, this was hardly an issue. It was tastefully decorated, white with red accents. I'd almost consider it a "clean" look. What I found interesting was the open bathroom: the shower and sink area did not have a doorway. (The shower itself, however, did have a glass door!) As for the toilet? That's in a room of its own. It almost reminded me of when I traveled to Japan, so while it was a bit unusual for me to see it here in the States, I wasn't completely confused by it.

The room also had a balcony, which, had I anticipated staying in my room for an extended period of time, would have served as a nice little relaxation space. Granted, I didn't have a stellar city view (I faced a mechanic's garage, among other stores), but I also don't mind people-watching. (It's worth noting here that despite having a neighborhood view, I slept well each night. Noise was not an issue.)

One thing I really appreciated was the alarm clock, which also featured an iPod / iPhone dock. I have an iPhone 4S, and I have been at hotels (including my usual hotel in Brooklyn) that have clocks with iPhone docks that don't support a 4S. This may seem like a minor thing for many, but I had left my charger at home -- this was extremely helpful!

If I have one teeny-tiny complaint: The A/C is LOUD. Fortunately, my room was equipped with a ceiling fan. I was just as cool, but with much less noise.

So: An attentive staff. Chic, comfortable rooms. Easy access to work (and other areas, such as one of my favorites -- Soho!) Decent pricing. I think I've found my new business hotel here at The Nolitan.

Room Tip: You can choose to stay in a room with a city view, if a neighborhood view isn't your cup of tea.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank IkkiTousen
Stuart, Florida
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I was very pleasantly surprised with the Nolitan! Pulling up, I looked around and thought, hmmm...
However, through the very cool front doors I entered into a very nice lobby area, with a staff really dedicated to making your stay enjoyable. I have not experienced the high level of customer service from some of the most upscale hotels further uptown. They are wonderful!
The room is new looking, great beds and linens. A lot of well thought out design, fantastic floor to ceiling windows. Continental breakfast very appetizing!

I would definitely stay here again, and look forward to the opening their restaurant.
In the meantime, Little Italy, Nolita and Chinatown offer a tremendous selection of great eateries! Perfect for foodies!

Room Tip: Ask for wither a corner, with two walls of glass, or a balcony. Go high for a better view.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business